Halo 2 system link deathmatches on Xbox 360

We were just talking with some friends how awesome it was to be able to have the 4 vs 4 battles in Halo 2 by just having four players on each console plugged on two projectors, and the Xboxes linked between with a lan cable. And how this option has completely disappeared from later generations. It was so easy to just bring over one Xbox with some extra controllers and have a nice battle with friends.

But this was at the time of the original 2001 Xbox. Now, we have some Xbox 360’s still available and Halo 2 runs on them with the backwards compatibility mode, but has anyone tried out if the system link still actually works within that emulation? Logically it should but there have been some odd limitations with the bc titles afaik so I’d like to know is it worth the try or should we just look for the original xboxes instead.

Yes it works, doesn’t matter if you’re using OG Xboxs or 360s, system link on LAN all works the same.

> 2533274815696922;2:
> Yes it works, doesn’t matter if you’re using OG Xboxs or 360s, system link on LAN all works the same.

Exactly. I still LAN with original XBoxes and 360’s. They work like a charm, every single time

I tried downloading my halo 2 on my Xbox 360 and it didn’t work

And Halo 2 is my only option if I want to have a 4-way splitscreen Deadmatch on system link between two Xbox 360’s, right?

I found the Halo 3 ODST disc, but it seems to only support splitscreen for two, or your usual LAN setup with each player playing on their own Xbox. I guess Halo 3 is the same way around, and 4-player splitscreen on system link is no go?

> 2535420325695434;4:
> I tried downloading my halo 2 on my Xbox 360 and it didn’t work

Don’t download Halo 2 on your 360, just pop in the disk and play.

> 2533274826256140;5:
> And Halo 2 is my only option if I want to have a 4-way splitscreen Deadmatch on system link between two Xbox 360’s, right?
>
> I found the Halo 3 ODST disc, but it seems to only support splitscreen for two, or your usual LAN setup with each player playing on their own Xbox. I guess Halo 3 is the same way around, and 4-player splitscreen on system link is no go?

Halo 3 supports 4 player splitscreen. Whether it be on Xbox Live or system link, it’ll work.

> 2533274826256140;5:
> And Halo 2 is my only option if I want to have a 4-way splitscreen Deadmatch on system link between two Xbox 360’s, right?
>
> I found the Halo 3 ODST disc, but it seems to only support splitscreen for two, or your usual LAN setup with each player playing on their own Xbox. I guess Halo 3 is the same way around, and 4-player splitscreen on system link is no go?

Halo 2 System Link brief points:

• Original Xbox and Xbox 360 can System Link with each other.
  • Both consoles must be running the same version. If your Xbox is fully up to date, it will be using 1.5
  • There is no way to get the Xbox or Xbox 360 to run 1.5 without modding and forcibly applying the update.
  • The highest possible version you can get is version 1.3. This can be obtained by purchasing a Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack disc.
  • You can System Link with 4 people on an Xbox or an Xbox 360.
  • Halo 2 on Xbox 360 has some emulation issues. Backwash had severe fps drops to the point it was removed from Matchmaking back in the day.
  • Apart from Backwash, Halo 2 doesn’t have any major issues in multiplayer. Single player can exhibit screen retention due to a bug that was never fixed in the emulator.

Hopefully this helps with your questions. If one Xbox is fully up to date, you may need to downgrade it to the original version though I’m not sure how to do that without modding.

This has been very helpful info, thank you both!

Just because it doesn’t seem to have been mentioned here:

MCC introduced true LAN play in September 2018 with the big update. So you can play the current 1080P/4K/60FPS version of Halo 2 on LAN, on Xbox One / S / X devices.

If you are directly connecting the Xboxes together, I have a link to my YouTube tutorial in my profile about how to accomplish that.