Halo 2 MCC - Fatal Error

Hello all.

I just installed Halo 2 for PC today, and when I try to boot the campaign inside of MCC I get this error message.

The UE4-MCC Game has crashed and will close

Fatal error!

OK

I have been trying for a while to get the game to boot. The multiplayer works fine, in both the old school and remastered graphics, but eh campaign will not boot.
Anyone have any ideas? I have tried deleting the campaign and reinstalling it, no luck. I have done all of the windows update (on windows 10), still not luck.

If anyone has any help please let me know!

• Dootuz

I have got the exact same issue with Halo 2. Reach and Halo 1 I had no issues with but my Halo 2 campaign crashes with this error as soon as the level loads. Can’t seem to find any solution for this issue yet.

Same here. Multiplayer seems to be working fine instead.

I’m getting the same! The armory sequence at the very start loads fine then I get this message every time I load Cairo station. Outskirts also crashes (but I don’t get the message). I tried with classic and remastered. However, I was able to load and play from the Arbiter levels just fine (Up to Delta Halo has been fine).

Hi guys,

I had the same issue and it seems like forcing mcclauncher.exe to run as admin and in windows 7 compatibility mode fixed it for me…

go to : SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Halo The Master Chief Collection, right click mcclauncher.exe and try changing compatibility settings as I mentionned above.

Hope this helps…

> 2533274796599462;5:
> Hi guys,
>
> I had the same issue and it seems like forcing mcclauncher.exe to run as admin and in windows 7 compatibility mode fixed it for me…
>
> go to : SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Halo The Master Chief Collection, right click mcclauncher.exe and try changing compatibility settings as I mentionned above.
>
> Hope this helps…

Tried that but still no luck, thanks all the same

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

What a complete farce 343 are,
How you can take one of the most iconic games in history and butcher it so badly is beyond me, these issues have existed since the original release of MCC and now on the PC release years later it’s worse than ever, people need to be fired from 343 they are a complete joke

Constant fatal error crashes, absolutely horrible frame rate and glichy audio…

The whole MCC has been handled so badly by 343 and the damage to the halo brand is obvious, they tried to change things that were not broken instead of making sure the game was rock solid to play on modern hardware.
I’m absolutely gutted tbh… 343i will do nothing about it evidenced by the carry over to PC of most of the issues from MCC on xbox from a few years back and don’t get me started on the online matchmaking… horrendous… on xbox 360 halo 2 was the poster child for fps online… this all feels like a bad joke… won’t be buying anything from 343 again and I know a he’ll of a lot Halo players feel the same… disaster
Who the hell signed of on this absolute garbage?? Seriously??

I have checked on reddit as well. No one seems to have a reason why.

I keep getting a fatal error too, but seems to be most common on H2A by far. I tried changing the NVIDIA Control Panel settings as recommended and it didn’t do anything for me.

Any update on this? I’ve had the same issue since release. Nothing else is affected apart from the Halo 2 Campaign

Hey no luck on my side. I reinstalled the graphics drivers as well, nothing. I did a lot of other troubleshooting, and…

still no luck.

This is such a disappointment. I’d settle for an official acknowledgment of the problem by 343 just so I know there’s something being done about it. I hear a lot of their focus and updates are around the online but what about the single-player/co-op?

Getting the same problem

If its on Steam, can you do the regular ‘Check integrity of game files’ and see if any files are corrupted or need to be re-downloaded?

In the Windows Event viewer, do you see a corresponding Error event at time of game crash? Any info in the log there?

I get the same error… halo 2 mutliplayer works fine, just finished playing halo 1 on legendary, then tried halo 2 campaign and it doesnt work. I get the UE4 error. Hope this is fixed soon… :frowning: … (im on a gtx 1060)

same for me . no one look like received any assistance by 343. it is such a shame to ruin this iconic game taking from the fans the possibility to play it . It crash in the armory(the first mission). The steam validation process seems to be unable to find any trouble. What’s going on 343? i know that you are not the Bungie but this is too much…

> 2533274818084099;14:
> If its on Steam, can you do the regular ‘Check integrity of game files’ and see if any files are corrupted or need to be re-downloaded?
>
> In the Windows Event viewer, do you see a corresponding Error event at time of game crash? Any info in the log there?

Just tried this and it found 16 files (9.6GB) that failed to install. Hopefully this fixes the issue!

> 2533274923938125;17:
> > 2533274818084099;14:
> > If its on Steam, can you do the regular ‘Check integrity of game files’ and see if any files are corrupted or need to be re-downloaded?
> >
> > In the Windows Event viewer, do you see a corresponding Error event at time of game crash? Any info in the log there?
>
> Just tried this and it found 16 files (9.6GB) that failed to install. Hopefully this fixes the issue!

Any luck?

Bought the game for pc last week. Haven’t had a chance to play any Halo due to this crash and it seems there is only fixes for windows 7? Need fixes for windows 10 because who the -Yoink- still uses windows 7?

> 2533274818084099;18:
> > 2533274923938125;17:
> > > 2533274818084099;14:
> > > If its on Steam, can you do the regular ‘Check integrity of game files’ and see if any files are corrupted or need to be re-downloaded?
> > >
> > > In the Windows Event viewer, do you see a corresponding Error event at time of game crash? Any info in the log there?
> >
> > Just tried this and it found 16 files (9.6GB) that failed to install. Hopefully this fixes the issue!
>
> Any luck?

Yeah, it did fix the problem for me.
Simply went into properties of the game inside Steam, went into the LOCAL FILES tab and the verified the local files/check integrity of files.