Halo 2 Map Packs in XBL Marketplace

Dear 343,

I’ve been a Halo fan since it came out and as such I have always downloaded the map packs on day one. Usually they would become free later on, but it was worth it to me to be able to enjoy them months ahead.

Well, when Microsoft shut down the original Xbox Live service they took with them the ability to download all of Halo 2’s map packs. (Though they did give people plenty of notice to get them loaded) Problem is, they then turned around and released the Xbox Slim. Wonderful console, but the only way to get all your licenses back was to do a data transfer. Fair enough, only your Xbox Original DLC was tied to your old console and as such demanded a re-download to play (it also shows up in your HD as “unknown game”). Well, with the old XBL shut down there was no way to restore your Halo 2 maps. You could, as I did, purchase a used copy of the Halo 2 Map Pack disc but you would still be missing the Blastacular Pack as well as the subsequent H2 multiplayer updates.

This seems a rude move on Microsoft’s part not to allow customers who purchased content from them the ability to re-download it (particularly when in many cases this happened as a direct result of giving Mircosoft more business via buying a new console). I’m not demanding the old XBL service be brought up again, just that the Halo 2 DLC be put up in the XBL Marketplace (for free of course) so that those of us who paid for them (as well as those who got them after the fact) will be able to enjoy them again. While there is no more online service for Halo 2, there are still plenty of people who love to do LAN play (or even just regular splitscreen) in Halo 2 and would love a way to get back some of their favorite maps. Please 343, if your reading this, just put the Halo 2 DLC up in the marketplace so that all of us who upgraded to a slim (or even those who data just corrupted, as mine has plenty of times) can one again enjoy the full Halo 2 multiplayer experience (one that I might add, many of us have already paid for).

Sincerely,

Chris

> Dear 343,
>
> I’ve been a Halo fan since it came out and as such I have always downloaded the map packs on day one. Usually they would become free later on, but it was worth it to me to be able to enjoy them months ahead.
>
> Well, when Microsoft shut down the original Xbox Live service they took with them the ability to download all of Halo 2’s map packs. (Though they did give people plenty of notice to get them loaded) Problem is, they then turned around and released the Xbox Slim. Wonderful console, but the only way to get all your licenses back was to do a data transfer. Fair enough, only your Xbox Original DLC was tied to your old console and as such demanded a re-download to play (it also shows up in your HD as “unknown game”). Well, with the old XBL shut down there was no way to restore your Halo 2 maps. You could, as I did, purchase a used copy of the Halo 2 Map Pack disc but you would still be missing the Blastacular Pack as well as the subsequent H2 multiplayer updates.
>
> This seems a rude move on Microsoft’s part not to allow customers who purchased content from them the ability to re-download it (particularly when in many cases this happened as a direct result of giving Mircosoft more business via buying a new console). I’m not demanding the old XBL service be brought up again, just that the Halo 2 DLC be put up in the XBL Marketplace (for free of course) so that those of us who paid for them (as well as those who got them after the fact) will be able to enjoy them again. While there is no more online service for Halo 2, there are still plenty of people who love to do LAN play (or even just regular splitscreen) in Halo 2 and would love a way to get back some of their favorite maps. Please 343, if your reading this, just put the Halo 2 DLC up in the marketplace so that all of us who upgraded to a slim (or even those who data just corrupted, as mine has plenty of times) can one again enjoy the full Halo 2 multiplayer experience (one that I might add, many of us have already paid for).
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Chris

i feel your pain.

bottom line tho, just bring back all the H2 servers. seriously. do it. 200$ price tag? aiight, done. 400$? thats pushin it 343! but i’ll still bite.

> i feel your pain.
>
> bottom line tho, just bring back all the H2 servers. seriously. do it. 200$ price tag? aiight, done. 400$? thats pushin it 343! but i’ll still bite.

I wouldn’t ask (or expect) them to do that for for a game that is nearing 8 years old, but giving people access to content that they’ve paid for seems like a no-brainer. No to mention I couldn’t imagine it would be that much effort just to put the maps back up in the current marketplace.

> > i feel your pain.
> >
> > bottom line tho, just bring back all the H2 servers. seriously. do it. 200$ price tag? aiight, done. 400$? thats pushin it 343! but i’ll still bite.
>
> I wouldn’t ask (or expect) them to do that for for a game that is nearing 8 years old, but giving people access to content that they’ve paid for seems like a no-brainer. No to mention I couldn’t imagine it would be that much effort just to put the maps back up in the current marketplace.

I dont know how oversights like this happen.

Doesnt microsoft understand business. You take care of your customer, and they take care of you.

> I dont know how oversights like this happen.
>
> Doesnt microsoft understand business. You take care of your customer, and they take care of you.

You’d think so. I mean, when the next Xbox comes out are they going to take off all the Halo 3 maps? People have paid a lot of money for DLC across all Halo titles and it only seems fair to give them access to said content. It really isn’t too much to ask.