Halo 2: Anniversary (Speculation)

Before I get any flames, I want to say that I acknowledge that there are no known plans for any Halo 2 remakes. This is just speculation. So let’s pretend there’ll be a Halo 2: Anniversary rolling around on November 9, 2014.

Let’s start with graphics. Obviously, it would make sense if the Covenant retained their Anniversary designs, (and Reach designs, in some cases, preferably not the Brutes’) given the short period of time between the destruction of Installation 04 and the damnation of Thel 'Vadamee (see “Arbiter”). And honestly, I would’nt be suprised if 343 Industries managed to take Halo Wars’s Arbiter to replace the Halo 3-era armor. But some things, namely the Brutes, Prophets, and the Master Chief’s armor, will need a complete overhaul. The [Austin Powers voice]shaggy[/Austin Powers voice] fur, the chin-mounted -Yoink!-, the Mark VI… these things haven’t been seen in a Halo game since ODST, and we can’t exactly take the sprites from games that old (and I don’t think Halo 3’s Brutes would fit anyway, to be honest; after the secession of the Elites, the Brutes were given a higher position, which meant they had to shave. Which resulted in them looking like the lovechild of Kratos and some kind of gorilla). Along with redesigning the Campaign levels, there will be weapons and aliens and whatnot to remodel.

Another thing that might be worth considering is: the game physics. I imagine 343 Industries would slap a fresh layer of graphics on everything and change it out, like with Halo: Anniversary. But something worth considering is a second disk, an alternate playing mode, or some other alternative. Weapon and vehicle physics are that of Halo 4. Obviously, we wouldn’t have only Halo 4 weapons. We would, instead, have the classic Halo 2 weapons, including the SMG. However, we would also have the weapons seen in Halo 3: ODST, such as the Silenced SMG and the Automag, as well as the MA5C Assault Rifle and the six-shot Brute Shot. While the first gameplay mode would be truer to the original gameplay, the second would be truer to canon.

And if the Library returns: <mark>DON’T</mark> make it Kinect-exclusive. This was just a cheap method of getting people to buy that troublesome piece of junk. That was a bad idea, 343i, and we all know it. Don’t do it again.

Any more ideas?

I’d prefer they kept everything the same as Halo 2 console and give options to switch the graphics from classical to whatever they create.

I hope they do not make the mistakes of Vista and mess with the actual game play (which involves the physics), etc.

XBL as it was would be awesomeness. I’d like also, more MP maps, 12 v 12 btb mm mp, co-op online, more campaign levels, something that stops people from easily standbying, etc.

The most important thing, though, is for them not to mess with the gameplay and to return Halo 2 back on XBL as it was.

> I’d prefer they kept everything the same as Halo 2 console and give options to switch the graphics from classical to whatever they create.
>
> I hope they do not make the mistakes of Vista and mess with the actual game play (which involves the physics), etc.
>
> XBL as it was would be awesomeness. I’d like also, more MP maps, 12 v 12 btb mm mp, co-op online, more campaign levels, something that stops people from easily standbying, etc.
>
> The most important thing, though, is for them not to mess with the gameplay and to return Halo 2 back on XBL as it was.

What was wrong with Halo 2 Vista? I never played it, so I don’t really know.

I hope they make the collision map geometry match the geometry of the revamped levels.

I don’t want to shoot a grunt standing on the floor above me, miss even though his head was right in my sights, only to switch to theater mode and see that the floor was blocking my view (like in the Hanger part of “Truth and Reconciliation.”)
And I don’t want to run into an invisible wall when I could clearly see plenty of space to move around in, switch to classic mode, and find a rock texture right in my face (like in the second level “Halo.”)

> > I’d prefer they kept everything the same as Halo 2 console and give options to switch the graphics from classical to whatever they create.
> >
> > I hope they do not make the mistakes of Vista and mess with the actual game play (which involves the physics), etc.
> >
> > XBL as it was would be awesomeness. I’d like also, more MP maps, 12 v 12 btb mm mp, co-op online, more campaign levels, something that stops people from easily standbying, etc.
> >
> > The most important thing, though, is for them not to mess with the gameplay and to return Halo 2 back on XBL as it was.
>
> What was wrong with Halo 2 Vista? I never played it, so I don’t really know.

Halo 2 Vista was not a good port of Halo 2, as it was very buggy and not as good as the original Xbox version, which is superior to the Vista port. It also didn’t sell well, and may be why we have not seen any Halo games after Halo 2 be released on the PC. In fact, I herd that Halo 2 Vista’s multiplayer matchmaking just got cut for some reason. Also, since you mentioned it, the Silenced SMG made it’s first in-game apperance in Halo 2 Vista, but, like with the Fuel Rod gun, is only on the “Example” map for the very limited editing tool (if I’m correct).

All in all, if a Halo 2: Anniversary does happen, 343 would do what they did with Halo: CEA with the game play by keeping it the same.

Also one more thing, I found out that November 9, 2014 falls on a Sunday, and games aren’t usually released on Sundays (as far as I know). So it may be released on either the Tuesday before or after November 9, 2014, which would be November 4 and November 11, except November 11 is Veterans Day, and I don’t know if games can release on holidays.

I say, if they do make a halo 2 anniversary they need to make a setting to keep the multiplayer looking like the old halo 2 or the newly graphically improved one, like with halo anniversary with the campaign. The multiplayer brought way too many memories to me. In fact I’m just in custom games looking over old maps right now. It wouldn’t feel the same if they changed the “gritty” graphics of the halo 2 models to make them shiny like in the newer games. Also I believe that we’ll have a remake just because everyone always wants blood gulch/coagulation and hemorrhage just can’t compare. There was a remake of headlong in halo CEA which may hint at something plus i believe something that I saw in hte xbox live magazine cover.

BRING BACK HALO 2 :smiley:

Just polish the graphics for campaign, add a Classic Mode like in CE Anniversary and online Co-op and it will be a great game. Keep the original Halo 2 gameplay as it is!
But they should not take the look of the elites from CE Anniversary. They should make new graphics for all the enemys and marines. (I want the marines to be green again!!!).
For the multiplayer just take the original Halo 2 multiplayer and put it on the disk with Xbox Live playlists. There is no need to update the graphics for multiplayer.

Since Bungie had to cut some missions because of time problems it would be absolutely LEGENDARY if 343i “completed” the game and put the missing missions in a “Extra” - Category.
I know, this is unlikely to happen, but it would honestly be the greatest thing ever, since Halo 2´s campaign is by far my favourite yet.

If there will be no Halo 2 Anniversary, they need to put it at least on Xbox Live as an arcade game!

> Just polish the graphics for campaign, add a Classic Mode like in CE Anniversary and online Co-op and it will be a great game. Keep the original Halo 2 gameplay as it is!
> But they should not take the look of the elites from CE Anniversary. They should make new graphics for all the enemys and marines. (I want the marines to be green again!!!).
> For the multiplayer just take the original Halo 2 multiplayer and put it on the disk with Xbox Live playlists. There is no need to update the graphics for multiplayer.
>
> Since Bungie had to cut some missions because of time problems it would be absolutely LEGENDARY if 343i “completed” the game and put the missing missions in a “Extra” - Category.
> I know, this is unlikely to happen, but it would honestly be the greatest thing ever, since Halo 2´s campaign is by far my favourite yet.
>
> If there will be no Halo 2 Anniversary, they need to put it at least on Xbox Live as an arcade game!

I thought the elites in halo anniversary were fine.

> > Just polish the graphics for campaign, add a Classic Mode like in CE Anniversary and online Co-op and it will be a great game. Keep the original Halo 2 gameplay as it is!
> > But they should not take the look of the elites from CE Anniversary. They should make new graphics for all the enemys and marines. (I want the marines to be green again!!!).
> > For the multiplayer just take the original Halo 2 multiplayer and put it on the disk with Xbox Live playlists. There is no need to update the graphics for multiplayer.
> >
> > Since Bungie had to cut some missions because of time problems it would be absolutely LEGENDARY if 343i “completed” the game and put the missing missions in a “Extra” - Category.
> > I know, this is unlikely to happen, but it would honestly be the greatest thing ever, since Halo 2´s campaign is by far my favourite yet.
> >
> > If there will be no Halo 2 Anniversary, they need to put it at least on Xbox Live as an arcade game!
>
> I thought the elites in halo anniversary were fine.

I didnt they looked too much like the elites in reach if you look at them in rm(remastered) then look in classic its too different in my opinion

I would hope they would include the overhaul in campaign and add xboxlive co-op, but DON’T change anythign else, such as physics and ‘feel’ to it all. I would also looooooooooove if they could include the Halo 2 multiplayer, exactly as it was, with all the maps included, even if it doesnt have updated graphics and comes from the arcade. Lol if 343 could read this, I would think that is the BIGGEST thing they could do, is bring back the legendary multiplayer that is Halo 2.

Gosh I miss the howl of the wind across Containment, the waves against the shore of Relic, and the wonder of Gemini

:smiley: