Hacker Crackdown

In every multiplayer game, people like to have fun and enjoy playing a match with their friends. But, there a few people who have a “hack to win” strategy! I’m pretty sure that we’ve all seen this before. Now, with Halo 5 Guardians coming out, 343 now has the opportunity to really lay the “smackdown” on these hackers. I mean, they already have things in place for when players quit matches, so why don’t 343 Industries go one step further and prevent hackers from ruining our Halo 5 experience this Fall? What do u guys think?

They are planing to use dedicated servers, which will remove common network cheats, like standby or lag-switch. But moreover, it will remove host advantage.

> 2610345319735860;2:
> They are planing to use dedicated servers, which will remove common network cheats, like standby or lag-switch. But moreover, it will remove host advantage.

yup. 343 did say we would play halo like it was 10 years ago. Honestly I don’t remember playing a match of H2 with being stand-bied

> 2533274887515153;3:
> > 2610345319735860;2:
> > They are planing to use dedicated servers, which will remove common network cheats, like standby or lag-switch. But moreover, it will remove host advantage.
>
>
> yup. 343 did say we would play halo like it was 10 years ago. Honestly I don’t remember playing a match of H2 with being stand-bied

Thank God for dedicated servers!

> 2533274887515153;3:
> > 2610345319735860;2:
> > They are planing to use dedicated servers, which will remove common network cheats, like standby or lag-switch. But moreover, it will remove host advantage.
>
>
> yup. 343 did say we would play halo like it was 10 years ago. Honestly I don’t remember playing a match of H2 with being stand-bied

This is precisely why I don’t enjoy people throwing player levels around all the time. SO many players in 2/3 cheated their way to 50s, be it boosting or standby. Brng on those dedicated servers! Host advantage being removed also makes a more consistent experience overall. While some people will still lag, it will be solely on their connection to the server vs their connection to host.

As for cracking sown on hackers, I’m curious what the state of hacking is on the newer consoles. Have people made Xbox Live capable mods to the one yet? Since so much of the infrastructure is drm based, I find it hard to believe hackers will be an issue, especially coupled with the dedicated servers.

> 2535458386964330;5:
> > 2533274887515153;3:
> > > 2610345319735860;2:
> > > They are planing to use dedicated servers, which will remove common network cheats, like standby or lag-switch. But moreover, it will remove host advantage.
> >
> >
> >
> > yup. 343 did say we would play halo like it was 10 years ago. Honestly I don’t remember playing a match of H2 with being stand-bied
>
>
> This is precisely why I don’t enjoy people throwing player levels around all the time. SO many players in 2/3 cheated their way to 50s, be it boosting or standby. Brng on those dedicated servers! Host advantage being removed also makes a more consistent experience overall. While some people will still lag, it will be solely on their connection to the server vs their connection to host.
>
> As for cracking sown on hackers, I’m curious what the state of hacking is on the newer consoles. Have people made Xbox Live capable mods to the one yet? Since so much of the infrastructure is drm based, I find it hard to believe hackers will be an issue, especially coupled with the dedicated servers.

Don’t forget the people selling XBL accounts with level 50’s in Halo. I remember playing against a few of those and whoopin’ their -Yoink- because they bought their account and did not know what they were doing.

> 2533274823601925;6:
> > 2535458386964330;5:
> > > 2533274887515153;3:
> > > > 2610345319735860;2:
> > > > They are planing to use dedicated servers, which will remove common network cheats, like standby or lag-switch. But moreover, it will remove host advantage.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > yup. 343 did say we would play halo like it was 10 years ago. Honestly I don’t remember playing a match of H2 with being stand-bied
> >
> >
> >
> > This is precisely why I don’t enjoy people throwing player levels around all the time. SO many players in 2/3 cheated their way to 50s, be it boosting or standby. Brng on those dedicated servers! Host advantage being removed also makes a more consistent experience overall. While some people will still lag, it will be solely on their connection to the server vs their connection to host.
> >
> > As for cracking sown on hackers, I’m curious what the state of hacking is on the newer consoles. Have people made Xbox Live capable mods to the one yet? Since so much of the infrastructure is drm based, I find it hard to believe hackers will be an issue, especially coupled with the dedicated servers.
>
>
> Don’t forget the people selling XBL accounts with level 50’s in Halo. I remember playing against a few of those and whoopin’ their -Yoink- because they bought their account and did not know what they were doing.

Agreed for sure! The downside is people still have a means to do thag, and arguably no way to truly prevent it.

That said, hopefully there is some incentive for integrity in 5, along with the negatives against it-

Pro players are listed as a top number (isn’t it 200 or something?), meaning you have to keep playing to keep the highest “rank” (another reason some might not like the rank values in the beta over the 1-50 scheme). This would mean buying a pro account would not last for a lower level player.

That being said, hopefully there is a way to punish someone in that predicament. I get people don’t like deranking (hence the more “team oriented” scoring and tier based levels), but I find that a player Gold or above that fell from semi or pro would still be matched outside their skill zone (and thus benefit from the “bought” account). However, this is all so mu cheaper further in depth. At least we can use confidence in saying that this issue will be less of one for 5.

> 2535458386964330;7:
> > 2533274823601925;6:
> > > 2535458386964330;5:
> > > > 2533274887515153;3:
> > > > > 2610345319735860;2:
> > > > > They are planing to use dedicated servers, which will remove common network cheats, like standby or lag-switch. But moreover, it will remove host advantage.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > yup. 343 did say we would play halo like it was 10 years ago. Honestly I don’t remember playing a match of H2 with being stand-bied
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > This is precisely why I don’t enjoy people throwing player levels around all the time. SO many players in 2/3 cheated their way to 50s, be it boosting or standby. Brng on those dedicated servers! Host advantage being removed also makes a more consistent experience overall. While some people will still lag, it will be solely on their connection to the server vs their connection to host.
> > >
> > > As for cracking sown on hackers, I’m curious what the state of hacking is on the newer consoles. Have people made Xbox Live capable mods to the one yet? Since so much of the infrastructure is drm based, I find it hard to believe hackers will be an issue, especially coupled with the dedicated servers.
> >
> >
> >
> > Don’t forget the people selling XBL accounts with level 50’s in Halo. I remember playing against a few of those and whoopin’ their -Yoink- because they bought their account and did not know what they were doing.
>
>
> Agreed for sure! The downside is people still have a means to do thag, and arguably no way to truly prevent it.
>
> That said, hopefully there is some incentive for integrity in 5, along with the negatives against it-
>
> Pro players are listed as a top number (isn’t it 200 or something?), meaning you have to keep playing to keep the highest “rank” (another reason some might not like the rank values in the beta over the 1-50 scheme). This would mean buying a pro account would not last for a lower level player.
>
> That being said, hopefully there is a way to punish someone in that predicament. I get people don’t like deranking (hence the more “team oriented” scoring and tier based levels), but I find that a player Gold or above that fell from semi or pro would still be matched outside their skill zone (and thus benefit from the “bought” account). However, this is all so mu cheaper further in depth. At least we can use confidence in saying that this issue will be less of one for 5.

In the beta at least I saw that you could gain rank, but you could derank. For example, you were in silver 3 and then won some games to put you in gold 1. Let’s say you won some more games and lost some but ultimately you lost more games than won at that point and your “bar” for gold 1 wasn’t filled up. I noticed that it wouldn’t drop me from semi pro to gold 3 no matter how many I lost. This could be a bug, but you might be able to derank subtiers but not tiers. This could still keep you in the right skill zone.

> 2533274823601925;8:
> > 2535458386964330;7:
> > > 2533274823601925;6:
> > > > 2535458386964330;5:
> > > > > 2533274887515153;3:
> > > > > > 2610345319735860;2:
> > > > > > They are planing to use dedicated servers, which will remove common network cheats, like standby or lag-switch. But moreover, it will remove host advantage.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > yup. 343 did say we would play halo like it was 10 years ago. Honestly I don’t remember playing a match of H2 with being stand-bied
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > This is precisely why I don’t enjoy people throwing player levels around all the time. SO many players in 2/3 cheated their way to 50s, be it boosting or standby. Brng on those dedicated servers! Host advantage being removed also makes a more consistent experience overall. While some people will still lag, it will be solely on their connection to the server vs their connection to host.
> > > >
> > > > As for cracking sown on hackers, I’m curious what the state of hacking is on the newer consoles. Have people made Xbox Live capable mods to the one yet? Since so much of the infrastructure is drm based, I find it hard to believe hackers will be an issue, especially coupled with the dedicated servers.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Don’t forget the people selling XBL accounts with level 50’s in Halo. I remember playing against a few of those and whoopin’ their -Yoink- because they bought their account and did not know what they were doing.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Agreed for sure! The downside is people still have a means to do thag, and arguably no way to truly prevent it.
> >
> > That said, hopefully there is some incentive for integrity in 5, along with the negatives against it-
> >
> > Pro players are listed as a top number (isn’t it 200 or something?), meaning you have to keep playing to keep the highest “rank” (another reason some might not like the rank values in the beta over the 1-50 scheme). This would mean buying a pro account would not last for a lower level player.
> >
> > That being said, hopefully there is a way to punish someone in that predicament. I get people don’t like deranking (hence the more “team oriented” scoring and tier based levels), but I find that a player Gold or above that fell from semi or pro would still be matched outside their skill zone (and thus benefit from the “bought” account). However, this is all so mu cheaper further in depth. At least we can use confidence in saying that this issue will be less of one for 5.
>
>
>
> In the beta at least I saw that you could gain rank, but you could derank. For example, you were in silver 3 and then won some games to put you in gold 1. Let’s say you won some more games and lost some but ultimately you lost more games than won at that point and your “bar” for gold 1 wasn’t filled up. I noticed that it wouldn’t drop me from semi pro to gold 3 no matter how many I lost. This could be a bug, but you might be able to derank subtiers but not tiers. This could still keep you in the right skill zone.

1. You wouldn’t drop from Semi-pro to Gold 3, you’d drop to Onyx 3 first.
  2. Once you’re in Semi-Pro you can’t leave it, you just stay at 1500. You can obviously go up to Pro though.
  3. You can drop from Onyx to gold, gold to silver, etc

> 2533274803896054;9:
> > 2533274823601925;8:
> > > 2535458386964330;7:
> > > > 2533274823601925;6:
> > > > > 2535458386964330;5:
> > > > > > 2533274887515153;3:
> > > > > > > 2610345319735860;2:
> > > > > > > They are planing to use dedicated servers, which will remove common network cheats, like standby or lag-switch. But moreover, it will remove host advantage.
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > yup. 343 did say we would play halo like it was 10 years ago. Honestly I don’t remember playing a match of H2 with being stand-bied
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > This is precisely why I don’t enjoy people throwing player levels around all the time. SO many players in 2/3 cheated their way to 50s, be it boosting or standby. Brng on those dedicated servers! Host advantage being removed also makes a more consistent experience overall. While some people will still lag, it will be solely on their connection to the server vs their connection to host.
> > > > >
> > > > > As for cracking sown on hackers, I’m curious what the state of hacking is on the newer consoles. Have people made Xbox Live capable mods to the one yet? Since so much of the infrastructure is drm based, I find it hard to believe hackers will be an issue, especially coupled with the dedicated servers.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Don’t forget the people selling XBL accounts with level 50’s in Halo. I remember playing against a few of those and whoopin’ their -Yoink- because they bought their account and did not know what they were doing.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Agreed for sure! The downside is people still have a means to do thag, and arguably no way to truly prevent it.
> > >
> > > That said, hopefully there is some incentive for integrity in 5, along with the negatives against it-
> > >
> > > Pro players are listed as a top number (isn’t it 200 or something?), meaning you have to keep playing to keep the highest “rank” (another reason some might not like the rank values in the beta over the 1-50 scheme). This would mean buying a pro account would not last for a lower level player.
> > >
> > > That being said, hopefully there is a way to punish someone in that predicament. I get people don’t like deranking (hence the more “team oriented” scoring and tier based levels), but I find that a player Gold or above that fell from semi or pro would still be matched outside their skill zone (and thus benefit from the “bought” account). However, this is all so mu cheaper further in depth. At least we can use confidence in saying that this issue will be less of one for 5.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > In the beta at least I saw that you could gain rank, but you could derank. For example, you were in silver 3 and then won some games to put you in gold 1. Let’s say you won some more games and lost some but ultimately you lost more games than won at that point and your “bar” for gold 1 wasn’t filled up. I noticed that it wouldn’t drop me from semi pro to gold 3 no matter how many I lost. This could be a bug, but you might be able to derank subtiers but not tiers. This could still keep you in the right skill zone.
>
>
>
> 1. You wouldn’t drop from Semi-pro to Gold 3, you’d drop to Onyx 3 first.
> 2. Once you’re in Semi-Pro you can’t leave it, you just stay at 1500.

I forgot about Onyx (never made it that far, due to being dumped in Silver/Bronze, even with almost 7-8 wins and topping my team each time).

I would like the idea for a true tier derank (staying Semi seems sort of lame if you make it and then never play again/someone else takes the account and is awful). But it beats playing against derankers/boosters constantly at lower levels. This would ruin breakout the most.

Edit - what did it take to derank from tiers? Just curious about your edited post.

> 2535458386964330;10:
> > 2533274803896054;9:
> > > 2533274823601925;8:
> > > > 2535458386964330;7:
> > > > > 2533274823601925;6:
> > > > > > 2535458386964330;5:
> > > > > > > 2533274887515153;3:
> > > > > > > > 2610345319735860;2:
> > > > > > > > They are planing to use dedicated servers, which will remove common network cheats, like standby or lag-switch. But moreover, it will remove host advantage.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > yup. 343 did say we would play halo like it was 10 years ago. Honestly I don’t remember playing a match of H2 with being stand-bied
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > This is precisely why I don’t enjoy people throwing player levels around all the time. SO many players in 2/3 cheated their way to 50s, be it boosting or standby. Brng on those dedicated servers! Host advantage being removed also makes a more consistent experience overall. While some people will still lag, it will be solely on their connection to the server vs their connection to host.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > As for cracking sown on hackers, I’m curious what the state of hacking is on the newer consoles. Have people made Xbox Live capable mods to the one yet? Since so much of the infrastructure is drm based, I find it hard to believe hackers will be an issue, especially coupled with the dedicated servers.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Don’t forget the people selling XBL accounts with level 50’s in Halo. I remember playing against a few of those and whoopin’ their -Yoink- because they bought their account and did not know what they were doing.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Agreed for sure! The downside is people still have a means to do thag, and arguably no way to truly prevent it.
> > > >
> > > > That said, hopefully there is some incentive for integrity in 5, along with the negatives against it-
> > > >
> > > > Pro players are listed as a top number (isn’t it 200 or something?), meaning you have to keep playing to keep the highest “rank” (another reason some might not like the rank values in the beta over the 1-50 scheme). This would mean buying a pro account would not last for a lower level player.
> > > >
> > > > That being said, hopefully there is a way to punish someone in that predicament. I get people don’t like deranking (hence the more “team oriented” scoring and tier based levels), but I find that a player Gold or above that fell from semi or pro would still be matched outside their skill zone (and thus benefit from the “bought” account). However, this is all so mu cheaper further in depth. At least we can use confidence in saying that this issue will be less of one for 5.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > In the beta at least I saw that you could gain rank, but you could derank. For example, you were in silver 3 and then won some games to put you in gold 1. Let’s say you won some more games and lost some but ultimately you lost more games than won at that point and your “bar” for gold 1 wasn’t filled up. I noticed that it wouldn’t drop me from semi pro to gold 3 no matter how many I lost. This could be a bug, but you might be able to derank subtiers but not tiers. This could still keep you in the right skill zone.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > 1. You wouldn’t drop from Semi-pro to Gold 3, you’d drop to Onyx 3 first.
> > 2. Once you’re in Semi-Pro you can’t leave it, you just stay at 1500.
>
>
>
> I forgot about Onyx (never made it that far, due to being dumped in Silver/Bronze, even with almost 7-8 wins and topping my team each time).
>
> I would like the idea for a true tier derank (staying Semi seems sort of lame if you make it and then never play again/someone else takes the account and is awful). But it beats playing against derankers/boosters constantly at lower levels. This would ruin breakout the most.

You would only stay at Semi-Pro(or any rank in general) until the end of the season, after which everyone has to restart and play their 10 placement matches.

To derank you simply need to lose enough. I’ve never lost a rank(made it to Semi-Pro 1900) in the beta so I couldn’t say what exactly it took.

I’ve actually never seen hacking before. Modding sure, but modding is good.

> 2533274877056440;12:
> I’ve actually never seen hacking before. Modding sure, but modding is good.

In the case of Halo 4’s custom gametypes like Clue and Salvation on the Xbox 360, sometimes. But not all the time.

> 2610345319735860;2:
> They are planing to use dedicated servers, which will remove common network cheats, like standby or lag-switch. But moreover, it will remove host advantage.

Yeah, they said MCC had dedicated servers too. We all know how that worked out.

I guarantee you you’ve never been cheated in Halo OP.

Cheaters are not going to risk getting caught to cheat some random, horrible player in social game. If you’re playing 50 high or in a team of 4 in the MLG playlist, ok, maybe.

I played 50 high all the time and in parties of amazing players and through H3, Reach and H4 I was IP flooded maybe 5 times and saw one “hacker”. This hacker could fly, spawn tanks and shoot lasers out of his BR. This was in Halo well after Reach had been out.

I think some people are just better than people realize…they’re not hacking, they’re just good.

> 2533274924514228;16:
> I think some people are just better than people realize…they’re not hacking, they’re just good.

No they’re hacking. It makes me feel better.