H5 Beta, MCC add to 343i's PR and trust issues

Warning: No TLDR.

Never, prior to Halo 4, have forums blown up with saying “DO NOT pre-order the next Halo game!”

Sure, there was backlash with Bungie’s Reach, their last Halo title, but leading up to Halo 2 and 3 there was not this vocal protest towards new titles as there are today. This all leads back to Reach, which largely polarized the community with bloom, which 343i did remove in some playlists, but also loadouts.

They VOWED to return Halo to its classic roots (with some fun but still Halo changes) and instead released what some called Call of Duty: Space Warfare with Halo 4. custom loadouts, killcam, perks, care packages, even a futuristic riot shield. Far from Halo’s roots. While there was a dedicated following, even myself played the game for quite some time with over 1,000 matchmaking games alone, it hurt the company’s image to the hardcore community and Halo once again found itself out of the competitive spotlight.

People, mostly, wanted a return to the past, which was either never or no longer supported on Xbox Live (Halo 1/2). Even Halo 2, nearing its 10yr anniversary would suffice and then they announced the dream for ALL Halo fans, past and present, The Master Chief Collection. All 4 main titles, 1 game, seamless UI and all on Live with original multiplayer.

Leading up to the release of Xbox’s sure fire way to get back into the console race with Sony there were many showings and streamed events which seemed to have major technical difficulties and broadcasters would simply point to 1 thing: an early build.

However, it turned out that early build was at no way faulty compared to the “Gold” and retail build. Plagued with issues, slow fixes that often contained minor fixes like broken achievements over the major issues that made the game literally unplayable, especially with friends. Now 2 months after release, many of these issues remain including the lack of constant and definite dedicated servers. The game still have major UI issues and players, that remain, often find themselves struggling to join with friends or simply rolling solo.

Heading into the Halo 5 beta, a look at the future and what has became a MASSIVE Xbox marketing campaign focused on making Halo competitive and about competition again to get customers back on MCC and Xbox in general, people were skeptical of the gameplay changes that seem to have removed some of the “CoD” aspects that came in H4 but only to replaced by other un-unique additions. These include aim down sight or whatever they call it, and Destiny’s slide and ground pound “super”. Sure the games were in development at the same time so it is unlikely one stole from the other in terms of those 2 additions but again 343i failed to simply take Halo back in gameplay and forward in visuals (H2A is a PERFECT example of what is good, when it works) or at least add in something to make Halo unique again.

Beyond that, this NEW game (in testing) had many of the issues that MCC had in terms of playing with friends, connecting and disconnecting from games, searching for 20min only to keep getting dropped or having “a problem with the Halo servers”. These problems were there in past Halo betas but not to the extent of H5 and to see a beta RUSHED out the gate a month after a unfinished, and plain broken AAA title hit store shelves by the same company is extremely worrying and again calls for boycott of Xbox’s biggest title have started for a game 11 months out.

343i certainly has their work cut out for them, including some rumps to kiss and some eyes to stimulate before they earn the trust that Halo players were forced to give them is given back.

Halo reach was the game that sent halo into a downward spiral because 343I has tried to cater to the people who enjoyed 1-3 and the people who enjoyed reach. the truth is that they had to chose one and i feel they chose the wrong side. the simplicity of Halos 1-3 is going to keep me on the MCC multiplayer and that’s just the bottom line. i’m going to buy Halo 5 to enjoy chiefs story but i’m really not that interested in the muiltiplayer that halo 5 offers.

I’m going to address this right away, the beta was not rushed. This is an actual beta. There are bugs and issues. And there is nearly an entire year to fix them. Most of the issues are interface issues(noted as being one of the most unfinished parts of the game), the game itself is very good. Since the point of the beta is to test the game play, fine tune and see how the community reacts with an entire year to fix any giant mistakes, this beta is doing very well in regard to its purpose.

Next, 343 wants Halo 5 to be a much more movement based game. I don’t see what’s so bad about adding a few more options for maneuvering, do thruster packs and sliding really define this game so much that it suddenly loses its other unique qualities? Is Halo still not about getting head shots while jumping around the bright, colorful map, controlling power weapons and strategic points on the map, reveling in a well bounced grenade that the announcer yells out in that iconic voice “TRIPLE KILL”, and then juking an opponent while having no shields for a swift melee to the face and that oh so sweet overkill extermination? Halo is still very unique, you cannot experience anything like it on the market right now. Plus, we have options now! If you’re craving for that classic feel, hop onto the MCC. Sure its buggy but it doesn’t make Halo 5 any worse.

343 has my trust back after they released this beta. I feel we’re in good hands.

Licker, I am merely pointing out the arguments of critics and what is facing the company. H5 multiplayer to me was a step up from Halo 4 for sure and I like the flow of the game, I do not think it is perfect but to rush a beta instead of fixing the current game, a month and a half old when the beta released, is wrong. Not saying the beta gameplay feels rushed, just stating it had many of the same issues they have failed to fix in MCC thus far

> 2533274811643195;2:
> Halo reach was the game that sent halo into a downward spiral because 343I has tried to cater to the people who enjoyed 1-3 and the people who enjoyed reach. the truth is that they had to chose one and i feel they chose the wrong side. the simplicity of Halos 1-3 is going to keep me on the MCC multiplayer and that’s just the bottom line. i’m going to buy Halo 5 to enjoy chiefs story but i’m really not that interested in the muiltiplayer that halo 5 offers.

I couldn’t agree more with you. I am neutral about Halo 5 multiplayer but after playing H2A, which is classic Halo with a facelift and seeing how amazing it still works in modern days, it is going to cause a lot of commotion when talking about Halo 5 until even Halo 6 and be hard for me to not critic their decisions

> 2533274803983077;4:
> Licker, I am merely pointing out the arguments of critics and what is facing the company. H5 multiplayer to me was a step up from Halo 4 for sure and I like the flow of the game, I do not think it is perfect but to rush a beta instead of fixing the current game, a month and a half old when the beta released, is wrong. Not saying the beta gameplay feels rushed, just stating it had many of the same issues they have failed to fix in MCC thus far

Fair enough, but most of those arguments are baseless. I still don’t understand where you keep getting the idea that the beta was rushed, everything we need to test what they want tested is working just fine. If you’re still talking about the interface, I already said that they don’t care about that at this point of the development process. It’s one of the last things they complete and would just be wasting time focusing on it when there are most likely much more important tasks at hand. I see your point regarding the MCC but what you’re asking is to divert resources from and delay development of Halo 5. That’s not something they can’t do or they would be risking releasing another unfinished game and putting themselves in the same situation as the MCC.

> 2533274803896054;6:
> > 2533274803983077;4:
> > Licker, I am merely pointing out the arguments of critics and what is facing the company. H5 multiplayer to me was a step up from Halo 4 for sure and I like the flow of the game, I do not think it is perfect but to rush a beta instead of fixing the current game, a month and a half old when the beta released, is wrong. Not saying the beta gameplay feels rushed, just stating it had many of the same issues they have failed to fix in MCC thus far
>
>
>
> Fair enough, but most of those arguments are baseless. I still don’t understand where you keep getting the idea that the beta was rushed, everything we need to test what they want tested is working just fine. If you’re still talking about the interface, I already said that they don’t care about that at this point of the development process. It’s one of the last things they complete and would just be wasting time focusing on it when there are most likely much more important tasks at hand. I see your point regarding the MCC but what you’re asking is to divert resources from and delay development of Halo 5. That’s not something they can’t do or they would be risking releasing another unfinished game and putting themselves in the same situation as the MCC.

or god forbid… delaying a halo game. come on Microsoft try it, just once, delay a halo game for the betterment of the franchise.

> 2533274811643195;7:
> > 2533274803896054;6:
> > > 2533274803983077;4:
> > > Licker, I am merely pointing out the arguments of critics and what is facing the company. H5 multiplayer to me was a step up from Halo 4 for sure and I like the flow of the game, I do not think it is perfect but to rush a beta instead of fixing the current game, a month and a half old when the beta released, is wrong. Not saying the beta gameplay feels rushed, just stating it had many of the same issues they have failed to fix in MCC thus far
> >
> >
> >
> > Fair enough, but most of those arguments are baseless. I still don’t understand where you keep getting the idea that the beta was rushed, everything we need to test what they want tested is working just fine. If you’re still talking about the interface, I already said that they don’t care about that at this point of the development process. It’s one of the last things they complete and would just be wasting time focusing on it when there are most likely much more important tasks at hand. I see your point regarding the MCC but what you’re asking is to divert resources from and delay development of Halo 5. That’s not something they can’t do or they would be risking releasing another unfinished game and putting themselves in the same situation as the MCC.
>
>
> or god forbid… delaying a halo game. come on Microsoft try it, just once, delay a halo game for the betterment of the franchise.

Indeed, it would definitely be worth the wait.

> 2533274803896054;8:
> > 2533274811643195;7:
> > > 2533274803896054;6:
> > > > 2533274803983077;4:
> > > > Licker, I am merely pointing out the arguments of critics and what is facing the company. H5 multiplayer to me was a step up from Halo 4 for sure and I like the flow of the game, I do not think it is perfect but to rush a beta instead of fixing the current game, a month and a half old when the beta released, is wrong. Not saying the beta gameplay feels rushed, just stating it had many of the same issues they have failed to fix in MCC thus far
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Fair enough, but most of those arguments are baseless. I still don’t understand where you keep getting the idea that the beta was rushed, everything we need to test what they want tested is working just fine. If you’re still talking about the interface, I already said that they don’t care about that at this point of the development process. It’s one of the last things they complete and would just be wasting time focusing on it when there are most likely much more important tasks at hand. I see your point regarding the MCC but what you’re asking is to divert resources from and delay development of Halo 5. That’s not something they can’t do or they would be risking releasing another unfinished game and putting themselves in the same situation as the MCC.
> >
> >
> >
> > or god forbid… delaying a halo game. come on Microsoft try it, just once, delay a halo game for the betterment of the franchise.
>
>
> Indeed, it would definitely be worth the wait.

Halo 2 was delayed, if I recall correctly from my middle school years, or at least majorly reworked to fit the time table and be able to ship out a game with working mechanics. I would much rather see Halo 5 get a spring release (never in Halo’s history has it happened) than to launch with the issues that MCC has if it does have such major problems