Gunzerking in Halo?

So, I’ve been playing Borderlands 2 lately, and I got to thinking… you know that big guy, Salvador the Gunzerker? He has the unique ability to duel-wield ANY weapon in the game; not just SMG-type guns and pistols like in Halo 2 and Halo 3; Shotguns, Assault Rifles, even Rocket Launchers.

So if that guy can do it… why not a Spartan?

Would you want a similar feature in Halo? I was thinking we could have some kind of “Strength Booster” Armor Ability that allows you to dual-wield what two weapons you currently have equipped. It would have unlimited use and no need to recharge, but would slow your movement speed when active much like when you’re carrying a turret. I just thought it would be pretty bada** to charge in with an Rocket Launcher in one hand and a Battle Rifle in the other… thoughts?

Obviously you DIDN’T play Halo 2 or Halo 3. And it was removed because it made certain guns OP. Get with the times.
Also, a rocket launcher and BR? Really? Make the game more cheap.

Ummm… No.

I do believe there should be an AA, or an Armor Mod, that allows dual-wielding.
But not Gunzerking. No me gusta there.

Maybe not as an AA, but as an option for custom gametypes it might be kinda cool.

> Obviously you didn’t play Halo 2 or Halo 3. It was called by it’s real name “dual wielding,” but you could only do it with small guns. And it was removed because it made certain guns OP. Get with the times.
> Also, a rocket launcher and BR? Really? Make the game more cheap.

I played Halo 2 and Halo 3. I don’t remember it making any of the guns overpowered… actually, some of the dual-wieldable weapons in Halo 2 & 3 were underpowered, like the Halo 2 Magnum and the Plasma Pistol; and the old Plasma Rifle, which was useless by itself.

Moving at reduced speed and not being able to use any other AAs, melee, or grenades would balance it well enough… I think. Not much different from ripping up a turret.

> > Obviously you didn’t play Halo 2 or Halo 3. It was called by it’s real name “dual wielding,” but you could only do it with small guns. And it was removed because it made certain guns OP. Get with the times.
> > Also, a rocket launcher and BR? Really? Make the game more cheap.
>
> I played Halo 2 and Halo 3. I don’t remember it making any of the guns overpowered… actually, some of the dual-wieldable weapons in Halo 2 & 3 were underpowered, like the Halo 2 Magnum and the Plasma Pistol; and the old Plasma Rifle, which was useless by itself.
>
> Moving at reduced speed and not being able to use any other AAs, melee, or grenades would balance it well enough… I think. Not much different from ripping up a turret.

Good example, Plasma Rifle + SMG = Game over.
It was a test in the game and it didn’t work so they removed it. Being able to carry around stuff like Rockets AND an Incineration Cannon? No thank you. No skill involved.

It wouldn’t work for Halo.

Really a lot of stuff Borderlands does wouldn’t work for Halo.

>_<

They should add a ‘Phaselock’ ability too!^^

Whoever gets hit by it freezes and gets lifted up, making it easier for everyone else to shoot him. Along with that, you’d have a tactical package that adds fire, shock, and corrosive damage, then slags them so that they take double damage from everything. Maybe a support upgrade would allow you to recharge your shields while someone is phaselocked, or better yet, phaselocking 1 enemy would pull his nearby allies toward him so that they all get affected by the elemental damage.

I know some of you guys might think it’s a bad idea at first, but think about loadouts and abilities in general. 343 borrowed some ideas from the Call of Duty series which helped evolve Halo 4’s gameplay, so why not borrow a little more from Borderlands and further evolve the game? Imagine Halo 5 with random loot drops and leveled gear!^^

Good idea or no?^^

> > > Obviously you didn’t play Halo 2 or Halo 3. It was called by it’s real name “dual wielding,” but you could only do it with small guns. And it was removed because it made certain guns OP. Get with the times.
> > > Also, a rocket launcher and BR? Really? Make the game more cheap.
> >
> > I played Halo 2 and Halo 3. I don’t remember it making any of the guns overpowered… actually, some of the dual-wieldable weapons in Halo 2 & 3 were underpowered, like the Halo 2 Magnum and the Plasma Pistol; and the old Plasma Rifle, which was useless by itself.
> >
> > Moving at reduced speed and not being able to use any other AAs, melee, or grenades would balance it well enough… I think. Not much different from ripping up a turret.
>
> Good example, Plasma Rifle + SMG = Game over.
> <mark>It was a test in the game and it didn’t work so they removed it.</mark> Being able to carry around stuff like Rockets AND an Incineration Cannon? No thank you. No skill involved.

Source? I’ll never understand why people post stuff like this. Dual wielding was in both halo 2 and halo 3. If it was a test, it would never have been included in 3 at all. Honestly, the only reason that I can imagine that it wasn’t included in Reach was that canonically you couldn’t dual wield before Halo 2. As for halo 4… who knows?

On the other hand, I agree that dual wielding power weapons and assault rifles would not be ok.

Double sword in Grifball; So when you lunge, you aren’t poking the enemy’s armor with a toothpick.

Long story cut short; Bungie couldn’t balance the weapons for dual wielding.

You either have too much power dual wielding or you have an underpowered single weapon. SMG on its own was poor, coupled with a PR it was a beast.

As for doing it like Salvador… that style of gameplay doesn’t fit Halo. Otherwise we’ll next all be using The Bee and wielding Conference Call shotguns. Let the craziness stay in Borderlands.

> Long story cut short; Bungie couldn’t balance the weapons for dual wielding.
>
> You either have too much power dual wielding or you have an underpowered single weapon. SMG on its own was poor, coupled with a PR it was a beast.
>
> As for doing it like Salvador… that style of gameplay doesn’t fit Halo. Otherwise we’ll next all be using The Bee and wielding Conference Call shotguns. Let the craziness stay in Borderlands.

Underpowered weapons, yes. But I never thought of dual-wieldable weapons as overpowered. I never found the SMG/Plasma Rifle combo to be more powerful than the SAW in Halo 3…

Anyway, I thought Gunzerking might work if it was balanced right. Maybe NOT allowing dual-wielding with heavy weapons like Rocket Launchers, but with lighter guns like ARs and such… reduced movement speed like when carrying a turret, no grenades, scopes, or melee… it could probably work.

Then again, another thought occured to me: spawning everyone with dual-wieldable weapons was removed in Halo 3 for a reason, that reason being in turned every battle into a gunfight. People weren’t using grenades or melee, and it made the comba too simplistic, according to Bungie. “Whatever weapon you start off every round with is going to affect the decisions you make”, was what they said.

> They should add a ‘Phaselock’ ability too!^^

Hahaha. There was a time when I was shooting at someone with a DMR and he ran away behind a rock. I cursed myself and thought that if I had phaselock, he definitely wouldn’t have made it to that rock. Instead he’d be suspended in midair. :frowning:

> > They should add a ‘Phaselock’ ability too!^^
>
> Hahaha. There was a time when I was shooting at someone with a DMR and he ran away behind a rock. I cursed myself and thought that if I had phaselock, he definitely wouldn’t have made it to that rock. Instead he’d be suspended in midair. :frowning:

Phaselocking in Halo definitely wouldn’t work. though Axxton’s turret would be a lot better than that pathetic little Auto-Turret.

No.

Talk with Frankie, he ruined halo series and im sure he can ruined more for H5.

Lol anyways i miss my SMG and plasma riffle or SMG and pistol back in H2.

As a regular AA or perk? No thanks. That would be annoying as hell.

But, what if there was a Juggernaut game mode where the Juggernaut had dual wielding, and maybe infinite ammo or the “bottomless clip” ability from Reach? That’d be hilariously OTT.

Or, maybe if we could dual-wield during certain Spartan Ops sections, for cinematic effect. (If Palmer can dual-wield, so can we!)

> > They should add a ‘Phaselock’ ability too!^^
>
> Hahaha. There was a time when I was shooting at someone with a DMR and he ran away behind a rock. I cursed myself and thought that if I had phaselock, he definitely wouldn’t have made it to that rock. Instead he’d be suspended in midair. :frowning:

lol, I actually tried phaselocking someone out of instinct to stop him and ended up boosting forward into his sword. :frowning: