Guns on the ground randomly disappearing SP

When I get to a certain point in campaign, and it says loading (where it usually says checkpoint) randomly all the weapons on the ground disappear. This is extremely frustrating when you switch your main weapon for another to conserve ammo or for a different combat situation but then randomly 3 seconds after killing a person the weapon you just dropped right next to you as well as all the other enemy weapons disappear. its almost scripted and it shouldn’t be this way. plz fix. otherwise great game, best halo yet

has anyone had this glitch?

I have. It’s quite annoying.

This is not a Glitch it is a conservation of resources for the computer using it.

Many games do this, if you notice some games allow for alot of Blood and/or dead bodies. But when you enable this featre it needs more RAM.

That is why this occurs, it removes everything that happened in the previous section of the game so that it can focus on the main part you are on.

If you were to some how run through the level really fast, you’d be able to see the enemies spawn in.

I noticed this a lot. Very sloppy design. Yet another failure for Halo 4.

Yeah it’s annoying because I make a tactic of backtracking for ammo. Bungie always prided itself on ‘dead enemies and weapons never disappear’ so this is new to me and a little annoying.

Oh well… What can you do. Change and adapt I suppose.

> Babu Yagu
> I noticed this a lot. Very sloppy design. Yet another failure for Halo 4.
> 2 minutes ago

This design is certainly not sloppy, its designed to save resources on the Xbox and on the network to prevent what you would know as lag.

Yes, it’s very annoying. If you’ve just called in Ordnance and were killed, then naturally you’re going to want to run over to where you died and pick up your power weapon. Now there’s only a 50% chance at best the damn thing will still be laying there when you reach it - sometimes it despawns when you’re a few feet away, which is especially annoying.

Trust me, the hardware CAN handle this. Either 343 made a conscious decision to reduce despawning time, or their code is inefficient. Either way, I’d welcome a fix.

the hardware cannot handle it , its why they changed what has been in halo for years. They cant keep upping the graphics on a 10 year old system and not need to find tricks to reduce load on the xbox cpu.
yeh it kinda sux as its nice to back track and grab weapons on large maps. But this is just a sign of aging hardware not sloppy game design ect. We are going to see this more and more in games as these consoles are dinosours in tech right now.

> Batou667
> Yes, it’s very annoying. If you’ve just called in Ordnance and were killed, then naturally you’re going to want to run over to where you died and pick up your power weapon. Now there’s only a 50% chance at best the damn thing will still be laying there when you reach it - sometimes it despawns when you’re a few feet away, which is especially annoying.
>
> Trust me, the hardware CAN handle this. Either 343 made a conscious decision to reduce despawning time, or their code is inefficient. Either way, I’d welcome a fix.
> 3 minutes ago

The local hardware should be able to handle to a point, but not everyone’s network can

It happens way too quickly. I really can’t stand it.

and i get the whole limited resources and hardware issues, but if i have a covenant carbine on the floor right next to me. and i throw down my battle rifle to pick it up to kill and enemy. (to be specific, on the 5th level after you get off the mammoth on the ramps) there is one part where you kill a bunch of enemies, then 3 or 4 of those crawlers appear in the distance. when you kill one of those crawlers, an objective marker pops up. and then all the dropped weapons disappear, including the one right next to you. I can understand weapons disappearing from farther back, but if you’re playing heroic and more importantly legendary solo. ammo conservation is important and to randomly lose switched weapons next to you disappearing forcing you to reload last checkpoint, which 90% of the time starts you way farther than expected. it gets annoying. At least make it so anything you’ve dropped remains on the ground for a certain amount of time even after those scripted loading events.

and honestly there are many other ways to improve performance making dropped weapons disappear, especially when they are essential at harder difficulties.

Honestly, this has to be the single most annoying “feature” in single player. Halo games have traditionally saved the encounters as far as 2 checkpoints back. While I can get that its being done to save cycles… I can’t help but think it’d be easy enough to store/flush variables for weapons out of sight, and recreate if the player get’s close enough.

I know I could do it easy enough in C, Hoping 343 will go ahead and correct this mistake*.

• The term is subjective, I’m sure it was a conscience decision on their part for seemingly good reasons. A mistake is any decision or action that is revealed after the fact to be a flaw. Believe me, It’s an accurate term.

Yeah. Very irritating.

I can fully appreciate the resources issue. But that said, there really should be a system of ‘tagging’ weapons so that the game knows when a player drops them.

Point being, if a weapon is dropped by a non player character, then it’s fair game for being disabled and marked for deletion by the game engine. However, if a player character picks up a weapon then the game places an player ownership flag on that object, and if dropped it is ignored on clean up until the player exits the area.

I can’t see that being a major resource issue, unless the player goes around picking up every single weapon in the area. Even then you could cap the number of weapons that can have an ownership flag attached.

I agree with post above as a good fix. if the game recognized the last 10 weapons you picked up in the area without making them disappear it would be great. and if you haven’t picked up any weapons yet, its the last 10 enemies you killed. replacing them with any pickup… also weapons disappearing at a distance, but if you go back they re-render. like i said, at a certain point going forward i completely understand, but i am having this problem with weapons at my feet.

I find it more annoying in Singleplayer than anything else due to the lack of ammo available to you. “You are out of ammo, go scavenge some weapons… oh wait, we despawned those weapons… might as well kill yourself.”

> This is not a Glitch it is a conservation of resources for the computer using it.
>
> Many games do this, if you notice some games allow for alot of Blood and/or dead bodies. But when you enable this featre it needs more RAM.
>
> That is why this occurs, it removes everything that happened in the previous section of the game so that it can focus on the main part you are on.
>
> If you were to some how run through the level really fast, you’d be able to see the enemies spawn in.

Halo 3 and Reach didn’t do this constantly like Halo 4 does. And actually seeing the enemies spawn is just stupid and kind of ruins the experience.

I think it’s just bad programming.

> > This is not a Glitch it is a conservation of resources for the computer using it.
> >
> > Many games do this, if you notice some games allow for alot of Blood and/or dead bodies. But when you enable this featre it needs more RAM.
> >
> > That is why this occurs, it removes everything that happened in the previous section of the game so that it can focus on the main part you are on.
> >
> > If you were to some how run through the level really fast, you’d be able to see the enemies spawn in.
>
> Halo 3 and Reach didn’t do this constantly like Halo 4 does. And actually seeing the enemies spawn is just stupid and kind of ruins the experience.
>
> I think it’s just bad programming.

It was in Halo 3 but it wasn’t very noticeable. You’d be more likely to encounter the ‘weapons falling through the ground’ issue.

As for Reach, it was in if you didn’t install to the hard drive. Just visit LNoS. If you did install, it still happened, but only when it was deleting the dead bodies which eventually happens. I encountered it on Nightfall, which was very annoying since I was trying to conserve sniper ammo.

CE and Halo 2 were the only Halo games to remove the dead bodies and guns when you weren’t looking at them and left them when you were looking. And if you picked up a weapon, it wouldn’t ever disappear.

A good workaround: give the weapon to a NPC. Though this is limited since they only appear in a few levels.

> > Babu Yagu
> > I noticed this a lot. Very sloppy design. Yet another failure for Halo 4.
> > 2 minutes ago
>
> This design is certainly not sloppy, its designed to save resources on the Xbox and on the network to prevent what you would know as lag.

You don’t think that completely removing pre-existing gameplay elements in order to make the game look pretty is sloppy. Well that’s your opinion I suppose.
Personally I think that this is just one of a myriad of reason why Halo 4 just doesn’t feel like Halo to me and why I sold my copy on Ebay within 2 days of getting it.