Guardians' population will collapse

But what we fail to realize, is that people just don’t put as many hours into games as they used to. Look at Call of Duty for example. Call of duty always has incredible sales, and the population is insane, but then the next COD comes out and the population shrinks. After that, another gets released and the population for the second newest shrinks. Occasionally there will be small surges of activity in the older ones for the sake of people getting nostalgic, but it never truly increases. So, next time you get concerned about the population, just remember that that’s how people play games now. Besides, there’s so many more AAA games then ever before and they’re constantly coming out. After Halo 4, Black ops 2 came out, then Far Cry came out, then AC3. Etc… People just don’t have time to no life 1 game for as long anymore.

If it’s successful enough, then people will continue to come back to Guardians and maintain a healthy population (I do not mean that sugarcoating type of population like Halo 4).

The population is a reflection of the community, and I know it can be much better.

> Call of duty always has incredible sales, and the population is insane, but then the next COD comes out and the population shrinks.

It’s important to consider the matchmaking populations across all games in the franchise. Yes, I’m sure that in November 2012, BO and MW3 encountered considerable population drops, but the lost population went straight into BO2–the net population count probably didn’t change by much.

In contrast, after Halo 4 came out, the population across all Halo games dropped considerably. Halo 4’s population dropped drastically, but its lost population didn’t go into other games in the franchise; they just left. The net population count decreased substantially.

In other words, COD games’ populations don’t shrink until a new game comes out after a whole year. Halo 4 went to a 35,000 peak population after only six months.

I can only speak for myself, but if I enjoy Halo 5, I’m pretty sure I’ll play it for years to come. I didn’t enjoy Reach and I didn’t enjoy Halo 4 and I haven’t played those games in months. I still play Halo 2 and Halo 3 to this day, just not as often because they’re older and I’ve overplayed them :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to assume 343i and MS are going to start having a yearly Halo release, but it could be something like H2A-2014, H5G-2015, then another remake or fill in like spartan assault, then H6?, then H3A and so on kind of like that. It’s to tricky to sustain a large MP player count for longer than a year now anyway.

While I somewhat agree that populations will likely not meet their former ‘standard’, most other franchises aren’t suffering as much population wise.

> While I somewhat agree that populations will likely not meet their former ‘standard’, most other franchises aren’t suffering as much population wise.

Halo is an older FPS IP and with that comes unfounded negative stigma which contributed to the decline in popularity, CoD constantly creates a deceptive illusion of “newness” with every release and that protects it from being considered “old” and losing it’s player base

Bad joke: a goldfish has a 7 second memory span, a CoD player has a 12 month one

I left Halo 4 because it was bad, not because I’ve ‘changed’.
If Halo 5 is good, true Halo, it will last.

Getting good at a game like Titanfall doesn’t interest me. Too many random variables to ever become a master of the game. Too much of a clusterfudge.
I played it, it was fun, but now I’ve moved on.

If Halo returns to what it used to promote, I will play it for years because it’s fun getting good at a game like Halo 3, for example.

> I’m going to assume 343i and MS are going to start having a yearly Halo release, but it could be something like H2A-2014, H5G-2015, then another remake or fill in like spartan assault, then H6?, then <mark>H3A</mark> and so on kind of like that. It’s to tricky to sustain a large MP player count for longer than a year now anyway.

I can’t imagine 343i accomplishing anything by remaking Halo 3.

The only reason that I’m remotely okay with H2A is because the game’s matchmaking cannot be played, AND, the emulation with the Xbox 360 almost makes the game unplayable in how it displays parts of your last saved game on your screen.

Remaking Halo 3 would be a spectacular waste of time, resources, and money.

> the emulation with the Xbox 360 almost makes the game unplayable in how it displays parts of your last saved game on your screen.

What does this mean? I never noticed any problems.

> > the emulation with the Xbox 360 almost makes the game unplayable in how it displays parts of your last saved game on your screen.
>
> What does this mean? I never noticed any problems.

The screenshadow glitch. It’s when the screen will be covered in transparent images that would obstruct gameplay.

I can’t find any pictures of it, but it got extremely annoying.

Perhaps the best ever multiplayer combat racing game is BLUR.

I witnessed that game die online within weeks.

As much as we want to believe it, quality does not always equal popularity.

> That people just don’t put as many hours into games as they used to.

That statement implies people are losing interest in gaming in general. If such a radical idea is true, to me the only explanation is current games are of low quality and no one wants to play them.

Unlike skateboarding and other passing fads, gaming is something I expect to be around for a long time, not something that is dying out solely because people have lost interest in it entirely.

I’m sure someone will argue with my skateboarding example. But lets be honest, Skateboarding hasn’t had anywhere near as much attention recently as it had in the 90’s. It’s hardly ever mentioned in popular media anymore.

> but then the next COD comes out and the population shrinks.

Well that’s to be expected really. Sequels have more hype than old games, and are usually assumed to be improvements. Games will slowly lose population over time anyways, there’s only so much of a single game people can enjoy.

> After that, another gets released and the population for the second newest shrinks.

This is a normal pattern that has always existed. I don’t see your point. Old games will always be less popular. Halo 4 is the most recent Halo title, and Halo 5 will be brand new the day it comes out. Halo 4 shouldn’t be getting matched by Halo 3, a seven year old title. That’s why people are concerned.

> Besides, there’s so many more AAA games then ever before and they’re constantly coming out.

I could create a long list of games from each genre I remember playing or hearing about as a kid. I don’t believe the level of competition has changed.

So many good memories…what’s sad is I probably would prefer many of those to many modern titles. The only current gen title that has my interest is the new Wolfenstein, and here is hoping that is something and not just generic, overhyped, heavily watered down garbage that fails to deliver like most of the AAA market. I’ve been tricked and hurt too many times to buy into the hype anymore.

Something along the lines of what Ramirez said.

> People just don’t have time to no life 1 game for as long anymore.

And how many are actually playing only one game?

Halo being my favourite and most played series didn’t stop me from having at least 5 to 10 games on the side at all times.

I can’t remember seeing anyone with a gamerscore consisting only of Halo games.

> But what we fail to realize, <mark>is that people just don’t put as many hours into games as they used to.</mark> Look at Call of Duty for example. Call of duty always has incredible sales, and the population is insane, but then the next COD comes out and the population shrinks. After that, another gets released and the population for the second newest shrinks. Occasionally there will be small surges of activity in the older ones for the sake of people getting nostalgic, but it never truly increases. So, next time you get concerned about the population, just remember that that’s how people play games now. Besides, there’s so many more AAA games then ever before and they’re constantly coming out. After Halo 4, Black ops 2 came out, then Far Cry came out, then AC3. Etc… People just don’t have time to no life 1 game for as long anymore.

Don’t agree with this one bit.

> > But what we fail to realize, <mark>is that people just don’t put as many hours into games as they used to.</mark> Look at Call of Duty for example. Call of duty always has incredible sales, and the population is insane, but then the next COD comes out and the population shrinks. After that, another gets released and the population for the second newest shrinks. Occasionally there will be small surges of activity in the older ones for the sake of people getting nostalgic, but it never truly increases. So, next time you get concerned about the population, just remember that that’s how people play games now. Besides, there’s so many more AAA games then ever before and they’re constantly coming out. After Halo 4, Black ops 2 came out, then Far Cry came out, then AC3. Etc… People just don’t have time to no life 1 game for as long anymore.
>
> Don’t agree with this one bit.

I don’t ither. I have played both H4 and Reach and their population is still strong. However H3’s is declining but it may go up since the MC collection is rumored to be coming out. Some people do have time for 1 game series not just 1 game in particular that sentence didn’t make any sense at all in the last paragraph.

I have two problems with some of the posts of this thread.

The first is the assertion that game will have a huge drop off in population like it did in Halo 4. I have a problem with this because this is the only time in the this shooter series that it happened. You cannot not establish a pattern with one game. The game will sell loads and people will be back on these forums talking about what they usually do. Weapon balancing, rank improvements and a sum of just negative threads.

And then there is this idea of what “True Halo” is. It’s a loaded phrase. It’s like saying I care about our country’s freedom without actually having defined what exactly freedom is. We all think we know, but the truth is, it is different for everybody. So when people talk about keeping to “True Halo” all I can think about is Halo 2 and Halo 3. When there has been since then two full shooter titles, an rts, a side story, and a top down twin stick shooter. Halo 3 is now about 7 years old and while some people still play it, it still is not the most popular game. The question we really want to ask ourselves is, in what way do we want to be like call of duty?

Call of Duty has released generally similar games annually. Similar weapons, same game modes, slightly different kill streak system(the major change is that it also works with points in general too). There is no redefining mechanics to try and keep it’s series interesting. It’s been pretty much the same to me for years and I can’t justify buying it anymore. If you want its story mode, just watch red dawn, and if you want a better multiplayer then play Battlefield.

I think they really need to scrap the idea of Infinity settings and personal ordinance. I agree with that whole-heartedly. However some amount of people actually like playing it. The best solution that can satisfy everybody, is any tweak in game mechanics they make even as far as sprint, and flinch needs to be available as options. So in customs they can manipulated to play the game you want.

I haven’t seen anybody talk about trueskill ranks yet, but I’d like to quickly address this. First, CSR has to be available to view in game to be useful. Second, there have to be enough players playing for it to matter when looking for games. Third, this shouldn’t be the only system in the game that tracks you overtime. I would like a progression system that takes as long as Reach’s current ranks to achieve so even players who aren’t as skilled can still work for things like aesthetic upgrades, camos, armors, etc.

> I left Halo 4 because it was bad, not because I’ve ‘changed’.
> If Halo 5 is good, true Halo, it will last.
>
> Getting good at a game like Titanfall doesn’t interest me. Too many random variables to ever become a master of the game. Too much of a clusterfudge.
> I played it, it was fun, but now I’ve moved on.
>
> If Halo returns to what it used to promote, I will play it for years because it’s fun getting good at a game like Halo 3, for example.

You sir described exactly how I feel about every Battlefield release. It is a great game, but there’s too much going on in the game to interest me. I stick to CODs when I’m not Haloing around. I wish CODS weren’t yearly as I still enjoy MW3. It sucks how every year, the new game is what everyone moves onto, and I hope Halo doesn’t do the same thing CODs do like that.

> > I left Halo 4 because it was bad, not because I’ve ‘changed’.
> > If Halo 5 is good, true Halo, it will last.
> >
> > Getting good at a game like Titanfall doesn’t interest me. Too many random variables to ever become a master of the game. Too much of a clusterfudge.
> > I played it, it was fun, but now I’ve moved on.
> >
> > If Halo returns to what it used to promote, I will play it for years because it’s fun getting good at a game like Halo 3, for example.
>
> You sir described exactly how I feel about every Battlefield release. It is a great game, but there’s too much going on in the game to interest me. I stick to CODs when I’m not Haloing around. I wish CODS weren’t yearly as I still enjoy MW3. It sucks how every year, the new game is what everyone moves onto, and I hope Halo doesn’t do the same thing CODs do like that.

I believe they have a formula for Halo. There’s always a new halo game every year, but the main titles always have 2-3 years in between.

> > But what we fail to realize, <mark>is that people just don’t put as many hours into games as they used to.</mark> Look at Call of Duty for example. Call of duty always has incredible sales, and the population is insane, but then the next COD comes out and the population shrinks. After that, another gets released and the population for the second newest shrinks. Occasionally there will be small surges of activity in the older ones for the sake of people getting nostalgic, but it never truly increases. So, next time you get concerned about the population, just remember that that’s how people play games now. Besides, there’s so many more AAA games then ever before and they’re constantly coming out. After Halo 4, Black ops 2 came out, then Far Cry came out, then AC3. Etc… People just don’t have time to no life 1 game for as long anymore.
>
> Don’t agree with this one bit.

He doesn’t mean gaming in general (that’d probably be more so), he means in any single game, as there is constantly new releases etc.

People move on to the next game quicker than they used to.