Grunt Art Design

It’s been confirmed that Infinite’s art style is at least partly classic inspired but so far all we’ve seen as indication of that (via the engine trailer) is Chief’s armour and to some degree, marines. I think Grunts might also be heavily classic inspired. With The Yappening update that came out a few days ago on MCC came a new game menu of a crowd of Grunts worshipping (or something) Yap Yap If you look closely you can see they all have that Halo 1-3 look (the pointy back). At first I figured it was just because MCC is mostly classic era games so it makes sense to use classic Grunts, but then I saw two Grunt mechs beside Yap Yap, those definitely aren’t from the Halo 1-3 era. That leads me to believe the time period that menu screen takes place in is recent and if that’s the case, those would all be modern Grunts in the crowd, possibly meaning Infinite will have a classic inspired design for Grunts. I’m probably looking into it too much but what do you think? Possibility or nah?

I’d say it’s certainly possible! That menu screen is pretty intriguing for a number of reasons- There’s another thread bumping around right now about whether or not Grunt Goblins should/will appear in Infinite’s campaign, and their presence on that screen is indicative to me that they very well might.

By the same logic, a return to the pointy-backed grunt is extremely possible and maybe even likely. I wouldn’t mind seeing a return to form on that as well as the designs of other Covenant races. I know a lot of the community has been very disappointed in how the aesthetic of the Sanghelli has changed in 343 Halo.

I’ve never cared too much about the design change of Grunts, strangely enough, since they have seemed to have been at least consistent in terms of how they act across all the Halo games. The best argument for reverting all designs to an updated version of Halo 3’s style is consistency and nostalgic benefit as well as to take a step back away from a lot of the negative stigma (whether earned fairly or unfairly attributed) Halo 4 and 5 have.

Realistically, it’s special artwork for the occasion that makes references but is not tied to any particular game. I wouldn’t look too much into it.

With that said, I do think it’s plausible that Halo Infinite might see the return of more classic looking enemies just on basis of the implied art direction of the trailer.

> 2533274861158694;2:
> I’d say it’s certainly possible! That menu screen is pretty intriguing for a number of reasons- There’s another thread bumping around right now about whether or not Grunt Goblins should/will appear in Infinite’s campaign, and their presence on that screen is indicative to me that they very well might.
>
> By the same logic, a return to the pointy-backed grunt is extremely possible and maybe even likely. I wouldn’t mind seeing a return to form on that as well as the designs of other Covenant races. I know a lot of the community has been very disappointed in how the aesthetic of the Sanghelli has changed in 343 Halo.
>
> I’ve never cared too much about the design change of Grunts, strangely enough, since they have seemed to have been at least consistent in terms of how they act across all the Halo games. The best argument for reverting all designs to an updated version of Halo 3’s style is consistency and nostalgic benefit as well as to take a step back away from a lot of the negative stigma (whether earned fairly or unfairly attributed) Halo 4 and 5 have.

I think I’ve seen that thread about the Goblins too, I’d love for them to be in Infinite.

Back to the Grunts themselves, I think one reason H4/5 Covenant races looked different because they were under Jul’s reign rather than the Covenant as a whole in H1-3. If that’s true, I believe any races allied with Cortana might look different than H4/5’s versions, whether that be reverting to the classic style or even a completely new one. Or it’s all purely artistic choice, which I’m fine with lol

> 2533274825830455;3:
> Realistically, it’s special artwork for the occasion that makes references but is not tied to any particular game. I wouldn’t look too much into it.
>
> With that said, I do think it’s plausible that Halo Infinite might see the return of more classic looking enemies just on basis of the implied art direction of the trailer.

I’d totally be fine with no lore ties, just strictly artistic choice. Either way it’s fun to speculate.

everyone loves classic grunts.

a question, do you know who created the illustration of YapYap in the last update of mcc? this is the illustration ( the new menu)

> 2533275020115329;6:
> everyone loves classic grunts.
> a question, do you know who created the illustration of YapYap in the last update of mcc? this is the illustration ( the new menu)

I would assume it’s Jeremy Cook but I’m not certain, I don’t remember reading anywhere who did it.

The Yapyap art is based on Halo Wars 2 designs (since that’s where he originated from). HW2 references Unggoy worshiping Yapyap and also contains Grunt Goblins. Jeremy Cook recently left 343i, but it’s possible he made the art before he left.

> 2535442569875751;8:
> The Yapyap art is based on Halo Wars 2 designs (since that’s where he originated from). HW2 references Unggoy worshiping Yapyap and also contains Grunt Goblins. Jeremy Cook recently left 343i, but it’s possible he made the art before he left.

He left? Nooooo. Did he say why? I loved HW2 art design. Also if it’s based on HW2, that means the time setting is recent, very interesting.

> 2533275031939856;9:
> > 2535442569875751;8:
> > The Yapyap art is based on Halo Wars 2 designs (since that’s where he originated from). HW2 references Unggoy worshiping Yapyap and also contains Grunt Goblins. Jeremy Cook recently left 343i, but it’s possible he made the art before he left.
>
> He left? Nooooo. Did he say why? I loved HW2 art design. Also if it’s based on HW2, that means the time setting is recent, very interesting.

I doubt the art is canon though, just something for fun.

Jeremy Cook hasn’t stated why, just that he’s moving on.

If I remember right, I think Halo Wars 2 uses both designs of the Grunts, if I can get a chance to find an example of it I’ll link it.

If 343 is reverting the art-style of the Grunts, then I’d like them to focus on their halo 1, 2, & Wars designs. I’ve never really been a fan of the H3-style of Grunt and I felt that the H4 & H5 designs were a step in the right direction. The designs from both the first two games & the first Halo Wars will always be the definitive Grunt designs in my eyes.

where can I find the Halo novels?, Just a official list

> 2533275013832713;11:
> If I remember right, I think Halo Wars 2 uses both designs of the Grunts, if I can get a chance to find an example of it I’ll link it.

The Grunt Squad used the old design while the suicide grunts used the new design. The Blitz cards have close up artwork of them.

> 2533275013832713;11:
> If I remember right, I think Halo Wars 2 uses both designs of the Grunts, if I can get a chance to find an example of it I’ll link it.

i think you’re right too

Personally I doubt Infinite is gonna use the h4/5 phenotypes, since it’s a FPS and not a RTS. So we will most likely see the classic designs in Infinite classic heavy artstyle.

I hope to see both.
I personally never cared about the art style Change. I really like the way that all of the 4/5 covenant designs look. I really hope that, with Halo Infinite’s rumored large budget, that hopefully 343 can afford to use all the designs at their disposal.