Grifball Tips Please!

I’m trying to up my Grifball game. I mostly win and mostly have a positive k/d, but I still want to get better.

OK, a couple of questions:

• The hammer range, damage and swing time seems really inconsistent. One game it’ll be working fine, and the next game, the enemy team seem like they have hammers that are a foot longer than mine and they can start swinging after me but connect first. Is this just a networking problem, or a known gameplay bug?

• What does the gravity hammer area of effect look like? Is it a sphere centered in front of your player model, or a cone shape, or what?

• Any other tips?!

With perfect connections in-game, it takes that one person with a bad connection to mess things up. The Halo “p2p host” system is just annoying. It doesn’t pick the best connection, it picks the middle man, even if this middle man has 2 gerbils running a wheel for his internet.

Some games you will just get lucky. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been playing for or how experienced you think you are. I play a lot and get pwned often due to lag. It might be split seconds but unless your hammer hits down as when you do and not when the network dictates it, it will never work properly.

Now I think the general area of affect for the hammer is a circle. Possibly the same radius as a grenade explosion? Many times I’ve hit someone in front of me and betrayed team mate who was behind and on the side.

Off topic.
Another thing I just want to point out to anyone reading. Did you know Gears of War is published by Microsoft Game Studios? Did you also know it gets dedicated servers? There are pros and cons to this but every time you have a game of Reach, aren’t you just sick of being host-booted or lagged out? Sick of the black screen? I seem to see it every game I play. And trust me, it ain’t my connection. I’m running Optics at what you call T1 speed. But Microsofts baby, it’s crown jewel, it’s own game can’t get dedicated servers so games are found quicker, it changed host in a second(Like MW3) rather then 5 minutes. All of the trailers released for Halo 4 are done via LAN and in-house testers. I hope it feels as good once “gerbil” guy has a crack at it. ¬_¬

Yeah I hate that too. One thing I find useful often is don’t try to hit your opponent with your hammer, try to hit them with the blast radius or whatever its called. In other words, don’t wait until you’re close enough for your hammer to make contact with them, the blast radius of the hammer is surprisingly large and if you swing it even just a split second before the blast radius alone can kill them when you’re actually 2-3 feet further away from them than you normally would be
Hope this helps it helped me get better at it :slight_smile:

> I’m trying to up my Grifball game. I mostly win and mostly have a positive k/d, but I still want to get better.
>
> OK, a couple of questions:
>
> - The hammer range, damage and swing time seems really inconsistent. One game it’ll be working fine, and the next game, the enemy team seem like they have hammers that are a foot longer than mine and they can start swinging after me but connect first. Is this just a networking problem, or a known gameplay bug?
>
> - What does the gravity hammer area of effect look like? Is it a sphere centered in front of your player model, or a cone shape, or what?
>
> - Any other tips?!

Offline Grifball could be a very tactical and skillful game but online unfortunately, I steer clear of it.

The reason is that I rarely get host and as a result, the delay, even at only a fraction of a second, is game breaking in a game like Grifball. The Host perceives and gives out all actions in game before everyone else, you could even go so far as to say that the Host in a game has priority over all other players. So if you and the host swing, even if in reality you’re a fraction of a second faster than him, he’ll win every time just due to his connection having priority over yours.

So the hammer range, damage and swing time are inconsistent as they’re based completely off the Host of the game, his connection and your connection to him. I’d just avoid it completely online, it’s unplayable.

Thanks for the comments guys, yeah, even a bit of lag really does tip the balance of the game.

I meant to ask one more question: does hitting another player, live or dead, “muffle” the hammer blast? A few times I could have sworn one of my hammer swings didn’t result in a blast being produced when corpses were on the ground between me and the opponent. Is there any truth to that, or am I just experiencing lag and making a false logic connection?

> Thanks for the comments guys, yeah, even a bit of lag really does tip the balance of the game.
>
> I meant to ask one more question: does hitting another player, live or dead, “muffle” the hammer blast? A few times I could have sworn one of my hammer swings didn’t result in a blast being produced when corpses were on the ground between me and the opponent. Is there any truth to that, or am I just experiencing lag and making a false logic connection?

Lag. It would move the player quite a bit. Unless you’re pressing RB ;p

<mark>Do not necropost threads.</mark>

When The First Skrimish For The Ball Begins Get Right At The Edge Of Enemy Range, Then Back Out Like Your Scared Then As He Grabs Ball Run Forward And Kill Him! Works Every Time!