Grifball spawn kill fix

Grifball is a decent game and it’s always in the social playlist. But all it takes to ruin the game is a fireteam of half decent players that decide to spawn kill to boost their stats. The problem isn’t all those fire teams out there doing it, it’s that the game type doesn’t have a system to stop the game when that starts happening. The players are going to keep doing it as long as it’s an option and it’s becoming increasingly common. It gives a great boost to stats and spawn killing players feel pretty superior to all the players that are busy dying (over and over).

The players that have the bad luck to match against this team get the penalty of having their stats destroyed or taking a DNF (too many get you a ban and you lose your boost). If you stay, it really, really sucks. No fun at all. Bad for business, player experience is everything. I just played a game like that and was happy the spawn killing fire team choose to end it at five minutes. A couple months ago I decided not to take the DNF and stayed in a game that the spawn killers ran out to the entire time limit for grifball. My fireteam had a large number of players joined and quit (another stat and lots of DNFs) but one other player stayed the whole time and we both got on our mics and complained (which was the best thing that happened in that game).

There are plenty of stats tracked in game that can be used to “notice” when this strategy is being used by a fire team. Length of player life, team combined KDA, lots of stuff could be used to identity and stop games that run this way. Team killing ********s (RvB ref) are already marked as the betrayer and there is an option to boot them. It’s time to do the same thing to the spawn killing fire teams ruining the playlist. Just end the game, take their boosts and start a ban counter against the players for it. They should be the ones taking the punishment not those of us dying (over and over) in those games.
.
Just to be clear, I think it’s fine when an individual is spawn killing during the game. I’ve done it, its fun. The thing that needs boundaries is when there’s an organized fireteam using the spawn killing strategy and are extremely successful against a normal match made team of players.

A very short Overshield upon spawning sounds more viable.

> 2535429593088083;2:
> A very short Overshield upon spawning sounds more viable.

That would interesting but does it have to be overshield with 2 layers of shields?

> 2535409489305717;3:
> > 2535429593088083;2:
> > A very short Overshield upon spawning sounds more viable.
>
> That would interesting but does it have to be overshield with 2 layers of shields?

Think of the Overshield bonus when you revive someone in Campaign.

> 2535429593088083;4:
> > 2535409489305717;3:
> > > 2535429593088083;2:
> > > A very short Overshield upon spawning sounds more viable.
> >
> > That would interesting but does it have to be overshield with 2 layers of shields?
>
> Think of the Overshield bonus when you revive someone in Campaign.

Oh thats what you mean.

What if you spawned on some sort of platform you had to jump down into the arena.

> 2533274805919869;6:
> What if you spawned on some sort of platform you had to jump down into the arena.

You mean like how Super Smash does it? If so, that sounds like something I’ll see go.

2 second overshield would work.
They would be able to survive a hit and at least swing back.
And it would run out before people could make it to the half line.

I always felt spawnkilling was part of griffball. Obviously its lame if they just do it over and over to get medals but you need to spawn kill to get a plant off sometimes just like in regular Assault.

My problem with Grifball is less spawn-killing, but accidental betrayals!

> 2535441501937371;1:
> Just to be clear, I think it’s fine when an individual is spawn killing during the game. I’ve done it, its fun. The thing that needs boundaries is when there’s an organized fireteam using the spawn killing strategy and are extremely successful against a normal match made team of players.

You realize this whole entire statement just nullifies and contradicts the points you made against stat-paddling/farming/spawnkilling and the bad spawning system, right? Practice what you preach. Either it’s ok, or it’s not. Queuing preference shouldn’t determine what’s ok and what isn’t.

> 2533274805919869;6:
> What if you spawned on some sort of platform you had to jump down into the arena.

I thought of that as well, though an issue could arise when respawning players are delayed to get into the arena and prevent the opposing team from scoring.

I think sounder idea would be to design a spawn box for each team with a shield that can only be passed from the inside (players can only exit never re-enter), plus a kill zone, so players cannot wait out and hide, or exploit in other ways—similar to what’s featured in mongoose sumo.

Sure spawn killing is part of the game but when a group of guys your facing have +90% winning percentage in +10k games, over 300k grifball kills and +1.5k killioniares you know you are going to be rolled.

It destroys the game and the population, how is that good?

This has been a problem since Halo Reach. 343 don’t seem to care and probably never will about it.

> 2535442303795050;11:
> > 2535441501937371;1:
> > Just to be clear, I think it’s fine when an individual is spawn killing during the game. I’ve done it, its fun. The thing that needs boundaries is when there’s an organized fireteam using the spawn killing strategy and are extremely successful against a normal match made team of players.
>
> You realize this whole entire statement just nullifies and contradicts the points you made against stat-paddling/farming/spawnkilling and the bad spawning system, right? Practice what you preach. Either it’s ok, or it’s not. Queuing preference shouldn’t determine what’s ok and what isn’t.

Get real. It’s not about spawn killing. It’s about match making. A fire team composed of randomly matched (or systematically matched maybe) players will rarely be able to spawn trap another team. It takes a level of organization and coordination, as well as a choice by all players to choose that strategy. I’m arguing that should be controlled since it is a strategy that ruins the game for most players that aren’t playing in a party or don’t choose that way to win.

I think it’s not possible to “escort your carrier” without attempting to clear the area around the goal (which also happens to be the enemy teams spawn points). Good goal defense means the other team is trying really hard to stop me when I do it. If I kill one player there am I spawn killing, or a double kill, or killatacular?

When a team holds the score one goal away from ending the game for 8 minutes and spawn kills while lots of players rotate through, probably something could be better in that game. That’s what I’m asking for. Fix that.

I got the idea of ending the match early from Bungie (spare the hate, please). I think it’s a better approach than tweeting the game mode. They implemented something like that in Destiny multiplayer over a year ago. I think it almost never gets triggered but it helps in the rare cases you get a really bad mismatch in player skills across teams. In that case there’s no penalty to players, match ends, team that’s ahead wins.

Its about player experience. The more bad experiences you have (especially that seem “unfair”), the less likely you will return to a game.

343i can do something about it or let those fireteams ruin the game.

> 2535441501937371;15:
> > 2535442303795050;11:
> > > 2535441501937371;1:
> > > Just to be clear, I think it’s fine when an individual is spawn killing during the game. I’ve done it, its fun. The thing that needs boundaries is when there’s an organized fireteam using the spawn killing strategy and are extremely successful against a normal match made team of players.
> >
> > You realize this whole entire statement just nullifies and contradicts the points you made against stat-paddling/farming/spawnkilling and the bad spawning system, right? Practice what you preach. Either it’s ok, or it’s not. Queuing preference shouldn’t determine what’s ok and what isn’t.
>
> “Get real. It’s not about spawn killing. It’s about match making. A fire team composed of randomly matched (or systematically matched maybe) players will rarely be able to spawn trap another team. It takes a level of organization and coordination, as well as a choice by all players to choose that strategy. I’m arguing that should be controlled since it is a strategy that ruins the game for most players that aren’t playing in a party or don’t choose that way to win.”
>
> Really now? Then why is the problem exclusive to grifball, hmm? I agree that solo players should face solo players, parties with parties, and vice versa, but what about the other playlists with bad spawning?****You’re telling me to “get real” when you fail to realize how your hypocrisy and lack of actual arguments just shows how self-centered you are.“I think it’s not possible to “escort your carrier” without attempting to clear the area around the goal (which also happens to be the enemy teams spawn points). Good goal defense means the other team is trying really hard to stop me when I do it. If I kill one player there am I spawn killing, or a double kill, or killatacular?”
>
> **So you’re telling me it’s impossible to break out of the spawn trap with a fireteam, compared to when playing with other solo queuers? I beg to differ, seeing as your primary weapon just so happens to be the hammer when you spawn in.****Again, I agree that bad spawns are a problem in grifball, but we can’t cough up all of these spawning related problems to “fireteam vs solo”. This is a MM search issue, as well, not just poor execution of gameplay mechanics.**When a team holds the score one goal away from ending the game for 8 minutes and spawn kills while lots of players rotate through, probably something could be better in that game. That’s what I’m asking for. Fix that.
> This is the only point I agree with, which is the fact that spawnkilling/farming needs to be fixed. (In general, obviously, but my point still stands.) However, blaming fireteams for spawnkilling does nothing, because in reality, we should be asking 343i to actually add some sort of spawn protection to prevent this issue. (or at the very least, contain it so that it isn’t a large problem.)

Replies in bold.

Edit: My point is that you can’t blame “fireteams” on everything, or say that a few bad apples ruined it all. We all know how that “conclusion” went with WZ and WZA, right?

> 2535442303795050;17:
> > 2535441501937371;15:
> > > 2535442303795050;11:
> > > > 2535441501937371;1:
> > > > Just to be clear, I think it’s fine when an individual is spawn killing during the game. I’ve done it, its fun. The thing that needs boundaries is when there’s an organized fireteam using the spawn killing strategy and are extremely successful against a normal match made team of players.
> > >
> > > You realize this whole entire statement just nullifies and contradicts the points you made against stat-paddling/farming/spawnkilling and the bad spawning system, right? Practice what you preach. Either it’s ok, or it’s not. Queuing preference shouldn’t determine what’s ok and what isn’t.
> >
> > “Get real. It’s not about spawn killing. It’s about match making. A fire team composed of randomly matched (or systematically matched maybe) players will rarely be able to spawn trap another team. It takes a level of organization and coordination, as well as a choice by all players to choose that strategy. I’m arguing that should be controlled since it is a strategy that ruins the game for most players that aren’t playing in a party or don’t choose that way to win.”
> >
> > Really now? Then why is the problem exclusive to grifball, hmm? I agree that solo players should face solo players, parties with parties, and vice versa, but what about the other playlists with bad spawning?****You’re telling me to “get real” when you fail to realize how your hypocrisy and lack of actual arguments just shows how self-centered you are.“I think it’s not possible to “escort your carrier” without attempting to clear the area around the goal (which also happens to be the enemy teams spawn points). Good goal defense means the other team is trying really hard to stop me when I do it. If I kill one player there am I spawn killing, or a double kill, or killatacular?”
> >
> > **So you’re telling me it’s impossible to break out of the spawn trap with a fireteam, compared to when playing with other solo queuers? I beg to differ, seeing as your primary weapon just so happens to be the hammer when you spawn in.****Again, I agree that bad spawns are a problem in grifball, but we can’t cough up all of these spawning related problems to “fireteam vs solo”. This is a MM search issue, as well, not just poor execution of gameplay mechanics.**When a team holds the score one goal away from ending the game for 8 minutes and spawn kills while lots of players rotate through, probably something could be better in that game. That’s what I’m asking for. Fix that.
> > This is the only point I agree with, which is the fact that spawnkilling/farming needs to be fixed. (In general, obviously, but my point still stands.) However, blaming fireteams for spawnkilling does nothing, because in reality, we should be asking 343i to actually add some sort of spawn protection to prevent this issue. (or at the very least, contain it so that it isn’t a large problem.)
>
> Replies in bold.
>
> Edit: My point is that you can’t blame “fireteams” on everything, or say that a few bad apples ruined it all. We all know how that “conclusion” went with WZ and WZA, right?

I guess we can just agree that we don’t see things the same. You seem to be ranting. I do agree that the fix lies with 343 and no where else.