Grifball is fun but I'm bothered by the changes...

First off I think it’s important to begin this post with the original explanation of the rules from 2008: Grifball Rules Explained YouTube Vid

It’s pretty clear that Grif is supposed to blow up when he scores the point. If I remember correctly 343 made the change to a non-explodey Grif with Halo 4 and I remember speaking out about it then, but it didn’t seem to gain much traction. For me, Grif blowing up is an integral part of the game and the fun. Without it, it’s like football without an endzone–something critical is missing.

I make this post in the hopes that the community will agree and 343 will add it back in. I’m hoping they even can add it in. After all Grif is supposed to die over and over and over again. That’s sort of what Grifball is actually. Not really to win, but to kill Grif. It’s brilliant that both teams can always kill Grif whether or not they hold the ball. It’s so unique and feels neutered without it.

Oh. And please seriously turn off betrayal booting. It’s Grifball! I mean, c’mon!!

No blowing up is fine with me

Theres a reason the bomb no longer explodes, its because Grifball is no longer round based and the match carries on after the bomb has been scored. If the bomb still exploded, the team that just had the bomb scored against them would most likely die again as they’re just respawning. Allowing the team that just scored to easly get the ball and score again.
In other words, the bomb doesn’t explode to keep the match balanced and fair.

> 2533274808793619;3:
> Theres a reason the bomb no longer explodes, its because Grifball is no longer round based and the match carries on after the bomb has been scored. If the bomb still exploded, the team that just had the bomb scored against them would most likely die again as they’re just respawning. Allowing the team that just scored to easly get the ball and score again.
> In other words, the bomb doesn’t explode to keep the match balanced and fair.

I get that, but I’m sure there are still ways or tweaks that can be made to make it work. Plus, this new system isn’t exactly fair and balanced. Currently Grif has free reign to spawn kill after he scores, which is IMO an undesirable side effect of not blowing up.

> 2533274858329100;2:
> No blowing up is fine with me

That’s cool, but did you watch the video? Do you have any comments as to the original premise of the game?

Just another quick note, its a ball now not a bomb soooooo ya balls dont go boom. I dont think not having it explode takes that much away besides going against the original idea of grifball in which it was fun to watch Grif go boom

My problem is the Ground Pound Scores, Ground Pound should be turned off for griffball

> 2533274840624875;6:
> Just another quick note, its a ball now not a bomb soooooo ya balls dont go boom. I dont think not having it explode takes that much away besides going against the original idea of grifball in which it was fun to watch Grif go boom

Yeah that’s a good point, but I think if Rooster Teeth had a choice back then between a ball and a bomb they would have still used a bomb. That’s just the core of the game. It’s such a juvenile joke of a sport but it’s also totally brilliant. I’d like to see that brilliance come back.

No explodey + no more rounds = a not as fun experience for me.

But it’s still the best playlist in H5.

> 2535418262439483;7:
> My problem is the Ground Pound Scores, Ground Pound should be turned off for griffball

I get what you’re saying, but for me this comes down to the mechanics of the core Halo game in which Grifball is played. Ground pounds are in Halo 5 and so it stands to reason that they would be in Halo 5’s version of Grifball as well. I have no problems with these kinds of changes. I’m just sad we have football without an endzone. :disappointed:

> 2533274905097737;9:
> No explodey + no more rounds = a not as fun experience for me.
>
> But it’s still the best playlist in H5.

Agreed. And yeah I want to make it very clear that’s it’s still fun. It’s just missing that BOOM!

I just wish they added the voice, GRIFBALL when the game starts. Now its just silence until you hear “______ has the ball”

> 2533274809242032;12:
> I just wish they added the voice, GRIFBALL when the game starts. Now its just silence until you hear “______ has the ball”

That wasn’t in the original so I guess I don’t really need it (although, of course, it’d be cooler to have it) but Grif blowing up was! Grif! Getting killed! Explodey style! Awesome.

> 2533274837186882;13:
> > 2533274809242032;12:
> > I just wish they added the voice, GRIFBALL when the game starts. Now its just silence until you hear “______ has the ball”
>
>
> That wasn’t in the original so I guess I don’t really need it (although, of course, it’d be cooler to have it) but Grif blowing up was! Grif! Getting killed! Explodey style! Awesome.

Yeah, I liked the ball exploding on touch down. Because if the enemy team (or “Grif’s” team by accident/purposely) didn’t kill “Grif” then the explosion would.

Sarge won either way :smiley:

Ground pounds/thruster packs are a little annoying.

I was wondering if they were going to add rounds back into Grifball, since Breakout works as a first-to-five setup, but to see it’s just the same snowballing imitation that Halo 4 had is disappointing.

I think the blowing up is crucial. If you score and you survive, you have a chance to ruthlessly spawn kill their team which is unfair. When the Bomb explodes it should essentially reset to the beginning because it wiped players on both teams.

Of course you’re bothered. Everything in Halo must be complained about. It’s a requirement to even post on these forums. Par for the course here.

They missed the 3 essential parts of Grifball.

1. Grif pain and suffering
  2. Grif humiliation and defeat
  3. and Grif multiple deaths.

Its nitpicking but I would love the explosion upon scoring and I would also greatly appreciate it if when Grif dies the body stays orange instead of reverting back to team color.

P.S. I’m just nitpicking. I really enjoy this version of Grifball. And the 3 parts were a joke.

Agree with everything.