Grifball Betrayal Solution

So I know we all have plenty of things to say about Grifball and its betrayal system. I agree there are some things that could use some fixing, but I am actually not in agreement with removing team killing completely. Instead, how about we try a couple of possibly very helpful solutions:

1. Have the “Okay” for booting people as the second option, instead of it being the first.
    Sounds silly, I know, but the fact of the matter is most players, myself included, will usually just hit the “A” button as soon as we get a pop-up to get it out of the way as soon as possible. This causes issues when I am getting betrayed by my buddy in the heat of battle and I accidentally boot him, when I am more than forgiving of his betrayals since he has probably saved my skin more often than he has killed me (or not, but it’s all good!).

2. Have team damage lowered to say about 50%
    Theoretically, if we are only doing 50% damage to our mates, we should be killing them only 50% of the time (at least in my mind). This, I’m sure, would help loads in the thick of things when it would take two team hits to kill a friend as opposed to simply crushing their spines instantly.

I am sure there are other possible solutions and if anyone else has mentioned these already, I apologize for seemingly taking their ideas, but I just thought of these after my 10th game of the day and figured I would share!

Thoughts?

I agree, I’ve kicked several people out by accident.

This is exactly what Grifball needs… Come on 343… Change the first option to be “forgive”… Because in a great, heated battle of the Grif… Making that pop up screen go away is just habit. Thus booting a friend on accident.

What’s wrong with us all accepting that team killing is a perfectly appropriate and fun part of Grifball?

It it worked for Reach. Why can’t it work here. You respawn so quickly, the court is so small, and the game type isn’t ranked so I really don’t see the big deal.

Just have friendly fire on and betrayal booting off. Welcome to Grifball. Problem solved.

The 50% damage seems promising.

Thank you all for the posts! Hope this will get seen by someone, even though I know chances are slim. I think these changes would help out quite a bit.

I like the idea. Forgiving a teammate would be very good instead you kick or get kicked by just killing your teammate by accident.

Also, since we are on the topic of Grifball, I also noticed it is possible to use the hammer to get up onto the walls where no one else can reach you and then just run the ball to the other side and slam down into goal. Now, I am all for using tactics and fooling your opponent but I think this ability crosses into the realm of cheap tricks to “win.” I think a great counter to this would be to lower the map height limit, say to just above the wall, so no one can walk up there at all. Invisible wall should do the trick, and I know at least I would appreciate it along with my friends I constantly play with! Once more people find out about this, I see it becoming a serious problem for the majority of people who probably don’t know how to do it.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.</mark>

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Bump

nope, team killing is just part of the flair of grifball, just get rid of the option to boot because of it, as i cant go through a single game without someone being booted because someone gets butt hurt over being teamkilled by running itno someones hammer.

> 2533274948340204;10:
> nope, team killing is just part of the flair of grifball, just get rid of the option to boot because of it, as i cant go through a single game without someone being booted because someone gets butt hurt over being teamkilled by running itno someones hammer.

I think this would be fine. As long as teammates can’t get booted then it should be ok. But then randoms might start purposefully team killing because they know they won’t get booted.

> 2533275016942754;11:
> > 2533274948340204;10:
> > nope, team killing is just part of the flair of grifball, just get rid of the option to boot because of it, as i cant go through a single game without someone being booted because someone gets butt hurt over being teamkilled by running itno someones hammer.
>
>
> I think this would be fine. As long as teammates can’t get booted then it should be ok. But then randoms might start purposefully team killing because they know they won’t get booted.

that happened in other games anyway. grifball is the rage-iest mode in halo and has been since it was put in.

> 2533274797874726;1:
> will usually just hit the “A” button as soon as we get a pop-up to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

Just start spamming the B button, does the same job as the A but doesn’t allow accidental boots to happen

How about just turn off friendly fire?

> 2533274797874726;1:
> 1. Have the “Okay” for booting people as the second option, instead of it being the first.
> Sounds silly, I know, but the fact of the matter is most players, myself included, will usually just hit the “A” button as soon as we get a pop-up to get it out of the way as soon as possible. This causes issues when I am getting betrayed by my buddy in the heat of battle and I accidentally boot him, when I am more than forgiving of his betrayals since he has probably saved my skin more often than he has killed me (or not, but it’s all good!).

Seems like the best solution

i like these ideas, but the boot the betrayer message comes after you die…while you are about to respawn… unless its different for ppl

Ever since 343 has increased the tolerance for betrayals in Grifball, I haven’t been booted one single time. I think it’s all fine now.

> 2533274938827434;17:
> Ever since 343 has increased the tolerance for betrayals in Grifball, I haven’t been booted one single time. I think it’s all fine now.

they increased it? i didnt know this

Having the default be “Forgive” rather than “Boot” would make a world of difference. It’s amazing how much influence how information is presented to you, in what order, and which choice is default, affects your decisions.
Sorry, got all philosophical there, but yeah. Forgive should be default.

I only boot teammates when there really bad and keep on team killing. I know its not gonna make the team better if there gone but atleast there not taking the ball and dieing by our goal.