Grifball Banning is still ridiculous

The bans in grifball are just, plain and simple, ridiculous. This still hasn’t been fixed in a game mode where betrayals are sometimes necessary to prevent an enemy score. Anyone else frustrated at this?

I don’t know why they haven’t turned off friendly fire for grifball yet.

or play smarter, dont swing your hammer indiscriminately. you may find that you actually perform better. :slight_smile:

> 2533274813220439;3:
> or play smarter, dont swing your hammer indiscriminately. you may find that you actually perform better. :slight_smile:

I would agree. Don’t just start swinging your hammer like a mad man. But in the heat of a fight, you may not notice an ally sliding from behind you into you’re swing. Or if the enemy has the ball and you and another teammate are at your goal and an enemy player is running for your teammate he might be dead and unable to stop the carrier so you have to swing and take out the carrier and your teammate. Simply “play smarter” isn’t a valid excuse for a game type like grifball.

> 2533274813220439;3:
> or play smarter, dont swing your hammer indiscriminately. you may find that you actually perform better. :slight_smile:

I have to agree. I have never been kicked for betrayal in grifball. However I did get the opportunity to kick a guy that was betraying on purpose.

So in my experience it works perfect actually, but hey some people can get unlucky from time to time.

There are two problems.

  1. People don’t know how to use their sword, which is actually the best defense against the ball runner. Saying that you need to inadvertently betray someone to stop the runner from scoring just means you’re too lazy to use your sword.

  2. The hammer slide, which is a glitchy, game-breaking disaster in general, causes you to accidentally betray teammates who slide in front of you but didn’t appear onscreen before you pulled the trigger to swing. Take this stupid thing out of the game and you’ll cut out at least 50 percent of the unintentional betrayals from the game.

You have to have three betrayals in a match for a boot and ban. If you’re killing your teammates that often, the problem isn’t the banning system.

> 2533274891310473;1:
> The bans in grifball are just, plain and simple, ridiculous. This still hasn’t been fixed in a game mode where betrayals are sometimes necessary to prevent an enemy score. Anyone else frustrated at this?

Personally I agree with you I don’t like this friendly fire being enabled however there seem to be many players who like having the option to boot team killers which seems fair enough.

> 2533274950960631;2:
> I don’t know why they haven’t turned off friendly fire for grifball yet.

Because you could hammer launch team mates all over the place. No friendly fire would be stupid. Not to mention it has simply always been part of grif.

> 2533274880633045;7:
> You have to have three betrayals in a match for a boot and ban. If you’re killing your teammates that often, the problem isn’t the banning system.

It’s the 5th betrayal that allows you to get booted. It used to be three, and people were getting bans left and right.

The problem isn’t the boot system. It’s the friggen idiots that intentionally boot you after they’ve slid into your hammer.for the 5th time in a row when you have all of your team’s kills and all of your team’s goals.

> 2533274967824992;9:
> It’s the 5th betrayal that allows you to get booted. It used to be three, and people were getting bans left and right.
>
> The problem isn’t the boot system. It’s the friggen idiots that intentionally boot you after they’ve slid into your hammer.for the 5th time in a row when you have all of your team’s kills and all of your team’s goals.

So you’ve managed to kill your teammates five times and you’re blaming them? Do you take the same approach to pedestrians when you’re driving?

> 2533274880633045;10:
> > 2533274967824992;9:
> > It’s the 5th betrayal that allows you to get booted. It used to be three, and people were getting bans left and right.
> >
> > The problem isn’t the boot system. It’s the friggen idiots that intentionally boot you after they’ve slid into your hammer.for the 5th time in a row when you have all of your team’s kills and all of your team’s goals.
>
> So you’ve managed to kill your teammates five times and you’re blaming them? Do you take the same approach to pedestrians when you’re driving?

R.I.P my sides lmao

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not purposely bypass the word filter.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> 2533274880633045;10:
> > 2533274967824992;9:
> > It’s the 5th betrayal that allows you to get booted. It used to be three, and people were getting bans left and right.
> >
> > The problem isn’t the boot system. It’s the friggen idiots that intentionally boot you after they’ve slid into your hammer.for the 5th time in a row when you have all of your team’s kills and all of your team’s goals.
>
> So you’ve managed to kill your teammates five times and you’re blaming them? Do you take the same approach to pedestrians when you’re driving?

-Yoink!- got him

I stopped playing Grifball because of this. I wasn’t a huge fan of the mode to start with, but constantly being betrayed and spawn-killed after waiting several minutes for a match simply ruined it for me. I’d probably play more were it not for this sort of thing.

> 2533274880633045;10:
> > 2533274967824992;9:
> > It’s the 5th betrayal that allows you to get booted. It used to be three, and people were getting bans left and right.
> >
> > The problem isn’t the boot system. It’s the friggen idiots that intentionally boot you after they’ve slid into your hammer.for the 5th time in a row when you have all of your team’s kills and all of your team’s goals.
>
> So you’ve managed to kill your teammates five times and you’re blaming them? Do you take the same approach to pedestrians when you’re driving?

Unlike in driving, this complaint is valid in Grifball. Part of the real skill in that game is staying out of each other’s way. Skilled players learn to move by watching their radar and staying spread out. Accidents happen, and sometimes a team kill is justified if it prevents a score, which is why the betrayal booting is kinda lame. I think it should stay, though, and players should just know better than to boot when teammates are clearly not intentionally betraying to be jerks.

> 2533274950960631;2:
> I don’t know why they haven’t turned off friendly fire for grifball yet.

Grifball without friendly fire is not a good game. It’s terrible. We’ve tried it.

> 2786602269460321;14:
> > 2533274880633045;10:
> > > 2533274967824992;9:
> > > It’s the 5th betrayal that allows you to get booted. It used to be three, and people were getting bans left and right.
> > >
> > > The problem isn’t the boot system. It’s the friggen idiots that intentionally boot you after they’ve slid into your hammer.for the 5th time in a row when you have all of your team’s kills and all of your team’s goals.
> >
> > So you’ve managed to kill your teammates five times and you’re blaming them? Do you take the same approach to pedestrians when you’re driving?
>
> Unlike in driving, this complaint is valid in Grifball. Part of the real skill in that game is staying out of each other’s way. Skilled players learn to move by watching their radar and staying spread out. Accidents happen, and sometimes a team kill is justified if it prevents a score, which is why the betrayal booting is kinda lame. I think it should stay, though, and players should just know better than to boot when teammates are clearly not intentionally betraying to be jerks.

I don’t think it’s excusable to kill your teammates three or five times in a match. Once in a while, sure, but three or five times in a match is far past the point where the behavior isn’t the fault of the person doing the betraying.

> 2786602269460321;15:
> > 2533274950960631;2:
> > I don’t know why they haven’t turned off friendly fire for grifball yet.
>
> Grifball without friendly fire is not a good game. It’s terrible. We’ve tried it.

Please don’t post multiple times in a row in the future. You can edit your posts to add more information and respond to more than one person in a single post.

> 2533274880633045;16:
> > 2786602269460321;14:
> > > 2533274880633045;10:
> > > > 2533274967824992;9:
> > > > It’s the 5th betrayal that allows you to get booted. It used to be three, and people were getting bans left and right.
> > > >
> > > > The problem isn’t the boot system. It’s the friggen idiots that intentionally boot you after they’ve slid into your hammer.for the 5th time in a row when you have all of your team’s kills and all of your team’s goals.
> > >
> > > So you’ve managed to kill your teammates five times and you’re blaming them? Do you take the same approach to pedestrians when you’re driving?
> >
> > Unlike in driving, this complaint is valid in Grifball. Part of the real skill in that game is staying out of each other’s way. Skilled players learn to move by watching their radar and staying spread out. Accidents happen, and sometimes a team kill is justified if it prevents a score, which is why the betrayal booting is kinda lame. I think it should stay, though, and players should just know better than to boot when teammates are clearly not intentionally betraying to be jerks.
>
> I don’t think it’s excusable to kill your teammates three or five times in a match. Once in a while, sure, but three or five times in a match is far past the point where the behavior isn’t the fault of the person doing the betraying.

Grifball is unique amongst all the Halo gametypes in this because it is 100% close quarters combat with an area effect weapon, and so betrayals have always been present in larger numbers. Conventional wisdom about betrayals in Halo isn’t applicable. Part of the skill of the game is being aware of your teammates’ positions to avoid being betrayed or betraying as much as possible. If a teammate is facing off with an opponent and a player suddenly slides in front of that teammate, they are at least partly if not entirely to blame.

Also, sorry about the multiple posts.

> 2786602269460321;17:
> Grifball is unique amongst all the Halo gametypes in this because it is 100% close quarters combat with an area effect weapon, and so betrayals have always been present in larger numbers. Conventional wisdom about betrayals in Halo isn’t applicable. Part of the skill of the game is being aware of your teammates’ positions to avoid being betrayed or betraying as much as possible. If a teammate is facing off with an opponent and a player suddenly slides in front of that teammate, they are at least partly if not entirely to blame.

I’ve played quite a bit of grifball. I can play grifball without being booted or banned. It isn’t that hard. Yes, an occasional betrayal might happen, but three to five betrayals in a single match is beyond excessive. That goes beyond a simple accident and is either a product of negligence or malice either way they aren’t the kind of people I want on my side. Friendly fire can’t go off because it breaks the game and at any point they’ve turned off betrayal booting it becomes a license to grief.

> 2533274880633045;18:
> > 2786602269460321;17:
> >
>
> I’ve played quite a bit of grifball. I can play grifball without being booted or banned. It isn’t that hard. Yes, an occasional betrayal might happen, but three to five betrayals in a single match is beyond excessive. That goes beyond a simple accident and is either a product of negligence or malice either way they aren’t the kind of people I want on my side. Friendly fire can’t go off because it breaks the game and at any point they’ve turned off betrayal booting it becomes a license to grief.

Yeah, quite a bit. Your 140 games to my 5510, or Leo’s 2536? And that’s excluding Grifball League games. There doesn’t always have to be malicious intent, or even negligence on the part of the betrayer. A lot of the time the negligence is on the part of the betrayed. They aren’t paying attention to their team mate that is going to get a kill, then they slide right into the hammer splash.

> 2533274967824992;19:
> > 2533274880633045;18:
> > > 2786602269460321;17:
> > >
> >
> > I’ve played quite a bit of grifball. I can play grifball without being booted or banned. It isn’t that hard. Yes, an occasional betrayal might happen, but three to five betrayals in a single match is beyond excessive. That goes beyond a simple accident and is either a product of negligence or malice either way they aren’t the kind of people I want on my side. Friendly fire can’t go off because it breaks the game and at any point they’ve turned off betrayal booting it becomes a license to grief.
>
> Yeah, quite a bit. Your 140 games to my 5510, or Leo’s 2536? And that’s excluding Grifball League games. There doesn’t always have to be malicious intent, or even negligence on the part of the betrayer. A lot of the time the negligence is on the part of the betrayed. They aren’t paying attention to their team mate that is going to get a kill, then they slide right into the hammer splash.

How sweet. You checked one of my accounts (or made up a number hard to say which). Want to check all the others going back to H3? Even I don’t remember most of their tags. A bit of care prevents betrayals. It doesn’t take much.