Grenades need serious rework

As of now (2 weeks after launch) the frag grenades are completely unbalanced. While both the plasma and the splinter grenade serve a specific purpose, the frags are back to what they used to be during the Reach days: compact nukes. They encourage behaviors harmful to the gameplay such as mindless spamming and camping and often stop player movement altogether. A prominent example is the Fortress on Stormbreak, where the two team of players keep throwing grenades at the entrance slowing the game down significantly. In my opinion, frags were the most balanced in Halo 3, where a skilled player could drain the shield of his opponent with a well placed grenade and than finish him with a single headshot. I recommend:

• Decreasing the blast radius by 40% - Decreasing the damage by 30% - Decreasing the amount of disorienting visual effects

No additional thoughts/recommendations?

Amen, Does anyone have proof if its just excessive magnetism thats the problem?

I don’t think the frags are over-powered at all. The Splinter grenades are really beast too. If anything, I’d say the time the Splinter grenades stay on the map should be shortened by 1 second, it slows down gameplay a lot when you throw them in a door, etc… & it’s annoying if you’re hurt & accidentally walk back into one your teamate threw that you didn’t see behind you. What I would recommend instead of nerfing the grenades in Warzone especially, would be to just drop less of them. For instance, I know it wouldn’t be true to the series, but it would not be a bad idea that every player that had 2 frags when they died they simply only dropped 1 frag on the map for other to pick up when they died instead of both of them. That alone would cut down a lot of the grenade spam in Warzone Assault especially when it’s 12 vs. 12 at one base. At least they could think about it in that game mode only.

I do not think the frags are that bad in this game honestly. When you can just thruster pack away from them it isn’t a really big deal if it’s radius is a bit large.

Warzone assault in particular…

also for warzone, reduce inital by 1 so players just get one…

Personally I’d like to see the respawn amount of nades dropped to 1. Warzone games I’ve seen often boil down to the attacking team launching volleys of frag grenades on respawn, and ffas which I play most also see a lot of nade spam too, if I could see which weapon kills me most I’d lay good money that frags are in the top 3, possibly more than magnums. Nerf the grenades as OP suggests or decrease the number you get at spawn.

They are fine IMO. Grenades are grenades. They explode. You wouldn’t see people IRL walking past nades and not thinking about it. Why do you think that should be the case here? Yes they are used a lot, but honestly it makes things interesting. It is not like they are infinite.

It’s the same with almost every halo release the problem isn’t the grenades but there number it will take a month or two then they will realise they need to stop spawning people with 2 frags

> 2533274816636702;8:
> They are fine IMO. Grenades are grenades. They explode. You wouldn’t see people IRL walking past nades and not thinking about it. Why do you think that should be the case here? Yes they are used a lot, but honestly it makes things interesting. It is not like they are infinite.

This^.

Look, grenades are meant to cause immediate devastation to those nearby. If they’re nerfed to a point where people aren’t afraid of them anymore then there’s no reason to use them at all and can therefore be taken out of the game.

Anyway, it takes 2 frags to take someone (with full shields) down. I’ve never seen a case where it only took 1.

While it only takes 1 well placed plasma or splinter grenade to kill. So I don’t get why you want the frags to be nerfed.

And as for those who want to spawn with 1 grenade or reduce the grenades on the map, Halo CE had you spawn with 4 frags.

At the very least, blast radius should be toned down a bit.

> 2533274875270720;10:
> > 2533274816636702;8:
> > They are fine IMO. Grenades are grenades. They explode. You wouldn’t see people IRL walking past nades and not thinking about it. Why do you think that should be the case here? Yes they are used a lot, but honestly it makes things interesting. It is not like they are infinite.
>
>
> This^.
>
> Look, grenades are meant to cause immediate devastation to those nearby. If they’re nerfed to a point where people aren’t afraid of them anymore then there’s no reason to use them at all and can therefore be taken out of the game.
>
> Anyway, it takes 2 frags to take someone (with full shields) down. I’ve never seen a case where it only took 1.
>
> While it only takes 1 well placed plasma or splinter grenade to kill. So I don’t get why you want the frags to be nerfed.
>
> And as for those who want to spawn with 1 grenade or reduce the grenades on the map, Halo CE had you spawn with 4 frags.

CE didn’t have 24 ppl on the map

If you get killed by a frag in this game it’s pretty much your own fualt.

1. The grenades are very visible with the glow and trail and stuff.
  2. they make a fairly loud clickich noise when they land near you.
  3. There is sprint in the game + the grenades have a long enough fuse for you to run away.
  4. you have thrusters. One thrust is enough, in a majority of cases, to get completely out of blast radius.
    Even if they where to be nerfed it would properbly be something like 3-5% radius 40% is extreme.

> 2533274875270720;10:
> > 2533274816636702;8:
> > They are fine IMO. Grenades are grenades. They explode. You wouldn’t see people IRL walking past nades and not thinking about it. Why do you think that should be the case here? Yes they are used a lot, but honestly it makes things interesting. It is not like they are infinite.
>
>
> This^.
>
> Look, grenades are meant to cause immediate devastation to those nearby. If they’re nerfed to a point where people aren’t afraid of them anymore then there’s no reason to use them at all and can therefore be taken out of the game.
>
> Anyway, it takes 2 frags to take someone (with full shields) down. I’ve never seen a case where it only took 1.
>
> While it only takes 1 well placed plasma or splinter grenade to kill. So I don’t get why you want the frags to be nerfed.
>
> And as for those who want to spawn with 1 grenade or reduce the grenades on the map, Halo CE had you spawn with 4 frags.

In Halo 3 you had to rely on your skills. Its easier to drop a shield with a grenade and then finish off an opponent with one shot vrs taking the time to fire 4 shots to kill. Also, I’ve never once in all of Halo 3, seen a nade, that wasn’t a sticky, take out multiple targets all at once. I’m sorry but grenades in Halo weren’t meant to be a go to take down your opponents in multiplayer swiftly. They’re more viable as a support based item to help secure a kill via other means once the opponents shields were gone, not make the kill.

Also, this isn’t Halo CE. If we are going to reference any Halos to this one, at least reference the one that has By far the most balanced and beat multiplayer experience that any Halo to date has seen. Halo 3.

Lastly, these are Spartans with shields that are designed to stop multiple plasma shots, bullets, explosives, high impact trauma, etc etc. That fact that a grenade is going to bring down a Spartan is -Yoinking!- funny period.

> 2533274837678334;13:
> If you get killed by a frag in this game it’s pretty much your own fualt.
> 1. The grenades are very visible with the glow and trail and stuff.
> 2. they make a fairly loud clickich noise when they land near you.
> 3. There is sprint in the game + the grenades have a long enough fuse for you to run away.
> 4. you have thrusters. One thrust is enough, in a majority of cases, to get completely out of blast radius.
> Even if they where to be nerfed it would properbly be something like 3-5% radius 40% is extreme.

Wrong on the thrusters. Majority of nades that will land near you, even after thrusting away, if you didn’t already start moving away, will still impact your shields enough to make a difference. I generally have to jump and thrust away to avoid being hit. I’ve tested it out. A grenade landed directly by you, if you thrust away from it, still manages to drop your shields significantly.

Honestly grenades are where they need to be at due to sprint and thrusters.

I could see a reduction in blast only when they remove sprint. Until then… just no… t

> 2533274840593197;15:
> > 2533274837678334;13:
> > If you get killed by a frag in this game it’s pretty much your own fualt.
> > 1. The grenades are very visible with the glow and trail and stuff.
> > 2. they make a fairly loud clickich noise when they land near you.
> > 3. There is sprint in the game + the grenades have a long enough fuse for you to run away.
> > 4. you have thrusters. One thrust is enough, in a majority of cases, to get completely out of blast radius.
> > Even if they where to be nerfed it would properbly be something like 3-5% radius 40% is extreme.
>
>
> Wrong on the thrusters. Majority of nades that will land near you, even after thrusting away, if you didn’t already start moving away, will still impact your shields enough to make a difference. I generally have to jump and thrust away to avoid being hit. I’ve tested it out. A grenade landed directly by you, if you thrust away from it, still manages to drop your shields significantly.

So that explains why I watch my Spartan ragdoll across the map, dead, even though I knew I escaped a grenade’s blast radius with a thrust! And because you can get shot once by a Magnum and die by a grenade two miles away from you.

> 2535468846025515;1:
> As of now (2 weeks after launch) the frag grenades are completely unbalanced. While both the plasma and the splinter grenade serve a specific purpose, the frags are back to what they used to be during the Reach days: compact nukes. They encourage behaviors harmful to the gameplay such as mindless spamming and camping and often stop player movement altogether. A prominent example is the Fortress on Stormbreak, where the two team of players keep throwing grenades at the entrance slowing the game down significantly. In my opinion, frags were the most balanced in Halo 3, where a skilled player could drain the shield of his opponent with a well placed grenade and than finish him with a single headshot. I recommend:
>
> - Decreasing the blast radius by 40%
> - Decreasing the damage by 30%
> - Decreasing the amount of disorienting visual effects

40% and 30%? You’re crazy dude. That’s a large amount to nerf anything.

There is nothing wrong with the splash damage. Most game grenades have a larger radious. You have thrusters for a reason, utilize them.

I like the way they are, but in warzone the initial spawn of two then every re-spawn only 1. Then 2 nades on first spawning after reaching next req level before returning to one. Repeat for every level. Maybe even add nades to the req staions different nades for different amounts of course. Splitter at least level 5.

I played my first game of warzone assault yesterday and it’s literally a fireworks show with the amount of grenade spam there is.