Grenade Drop

Tapping the button would cause the player to throw the grenade normally.

Holding the button would cause the player to drop the grenade at their feet instead of throwing it.

Pros? Cons?

Big huge mega supa con: Players would accidentaly hold the button and kill themself. Just like assasinations.

Pro: Could drop a grenade before bieng splattered by a vehicle.

Con: People would cry “ZOMG MARTYDOM THIS ISN’T COD RAGH-Incoherent rage”.

> Big huge mega supa con: Players would accidentaly hold the button and kill themself. Just like assasinations.

I was thinking a longer hold down period than the difference between beat down and assassinate. Kinda like how the Spartan Laser charges, grenade drop would work like that but a bit shorter than the Spartan Laser charge time. The charge time would also stop people from just dropping one every time they were about to die.

I’m sorry… But no.

Spartans don’t go boom! They stay and finish the fight! They don’t do wimpy moves like throw the grenade before they’re plowed! They simply dodge take out a rocket launcher and BOOM! triple kill!!

> Spartans don’t go boom! They stay and finish the fight!

Jorge and Carter would like words with you :stuck_out_tongue:

haha I completely cried laughing at this lol

> > Spartans don’t go boom! They stay and finish the fight!
>
> Jorge and Carter would like words with you :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not big on the idea anyway, at least in theory, but I wouldn’t use a hold L vs tap L mechanic for it. Maybe some kind of combo would be better. Left trigger + click right thumbstick or something.

No.

Why would you want to drop a grenade? It’s already frustrating to get killed by those ‘martyrdom’ noobs.

> Why would you want to drop a grenade?

Let’s say an enemy decides to rush you with a double pummel. You could put a few shots into him, drop a grenade, and back away.

I’d say I’d rather have it “toss” the grenade, giving it a shorter arc and no bounce. of course if ya did that, you could have it so if you toss the nade while looking at your feet, you just drop it, though I don’t know why you would. you might add in a “throwback” ability for players, and then that would lead to adding in the ability to “cook” the nade before you toss it, etc.

these aren’t bad features, we’ve seen them work for other FPS games, but introducing that to halo might make the game feel pretty different. Therefor, such a mechanic would need to be done in a way that doesn’t inhibit gameplay mechanics. for example, how would you throw your own grenade where you to be standing on top of an enemies that was about to detonate? if it was about to detonate, would there even be a point in throwing it, and if not, how would you get yours out of your hand before the one at your feet goes off? call of duty had this as a problem, and while simply putting “throwback” on a different button would simply fix it, there would be times you don’t perhaps want to throw it back. If it was on the reload button, that would work.

back onto the main question, just simply dropping it is a rather limited application of the grenade. I’d rather see a variable throw mechanic that allows you to control grenade popping for multiple application, such as controlling the arc of the throw, as well as the strength. perhaps this way, you could make the frag much more versatile. The Plasma grenade could also have a variable stick, like you could set it to stick to any surface, or limited surface such as players and vehicles, and instead of cooking it, you could set it to proximity detonation. this could really enhance gameplay options, though you might have to reduce the power of the blast to only kill at arms length from the nade, and just mostly serve as a way to lower shields. I will likely start a thread on grenades later, I have a few things I’d like discuss.