Greg Bear on Chakas and Guilty Spark

Well it looks like we may have a lead on what the exact relationship between Chakas and 343 Guilty Spark is.

I asked:

> The relationship between Chakas and Guilty Spark has caused a bit of trouble in the Halo community. Some contend that Chakas is 343 Guilty Spark, others believe that Spark is a fragment of Chakas. Can you reveal which of the two, or any other possibility, is correct?
>
> Thank you.

> From: Greg Bear
> Date: 08/25/2012
>
> Logically, if Chakas is Guilty Spark in the first instance, then a duplicate or fragment would also be Chakas… but that philosophical argument is pretty dense! More to come in Vol 3, which I’m now revising.

Seems intentionally cryptic, but at least Silentium will shed some light on this issue according to Mr. Bear.

So Guilty spark is a far off clone and fragmented chakas.

> So Guilty spark is a far off clone and fragmented chakas.

Nope, he answered in a way that both instances are possible.

I think it would be logical if 343GS was Chakas because 343i is the dev :

EDIT: Thanks for the thread BTW.

But then there is still the fact that Chakas has multiple fragments. So even if Spark is Chakas, then we may one day have to contend that Penitent Tangent is Chakas and Abject Testament is Chakas and so on. But their personalities all do differ.

Perplexing indeed.

> > So Guilty spark is a far off clone and fragmented chakas.
>
> Nope, he answered in a way that both instances are possible.
>
> I think it would be logical if 343GS was Chakas because 343i is the dev :
>
> EDIT: Thanks for the thread BTW.

That was a suggestion not a correcting statement.

Doesn’t really make sense at all, 343 would be chakas because he is a fragment of him. not because his number is 343 so the developers want to make him chakas for that reason.

Personality cores.

By their powers combined, they are captain Chakas!

By Vol. 3 does he mean Silentium or are they re-releasing Primordium?

> By Vol. 3 does he mean Silentium or are they re-releasing Primordium?

Silentium

Very cryptic answer.

I am very interested to know more about the Chakkas-343 connection in Silentium.

Well 343 Guilty Spark being a fragment of Chakas was never really in doubt but he’s basically saying that being a fragment would mean that they are indeed the same because Guilty Spark is a piece of Chakas. However, philosophy aside, the Monitor in Primordium remains not Guilty Spark. The actual physical monitor of 343 Guilty Spark exploded on Installation 04B and then exploded again when the Ring itself was destroyed. The physical Monitor in Primordium is not 343 Guilty Spark.

Guilty Spark has however shown signs of Human connection in the original Halo. After searching the Autumn’s database he found Human history to be of particular interest. Then again Bungie had intended Humans and Forerunner to be the same but still, you can see where 343i is taking this idea. Even in the Anniversary Terminals he is excited to see Humans, not just because they’re Reclaimers but because they’re simply Human. He mentions they have been away far too long and he had been away far too long. It was like he was homesick or something.

My assumption is that Chakas is now to this Monitor/343GS what the Lord of Admirals was to Chakas. In Primordium the monitor no longer refers to itself as human so in my opinion they are two different entities. Even though they may reside in the same machine basically Chakas was cataloged and stored, and the monitor was reciting his memories in a effort of self preservation. The Oni commander expressed concern that they were being lied to. My theory is supported by the fact that this monitor was heavily damaged and the lord admirals was able to take control and recite a part of his story.

I have long suspected Monitors to be former living beings the moment I read about the durance in Cryptum.

I do not believe the Monitors are all Chakas, just like Chakas and that they were all once living beings.

Doesn’t mean the 7 can’t all be portions of his mind, but I do think it’s a bit more diverse than that at the moment.