Great things reach did that should stay

Ya ya Reach was disappointing for most people. That doesn’t mean everything in it was bad and we most definitely should not let the bad stuff like AAs and bloom overshadow the good stuff.

Things that should stay for H4.

1- 1 shot rifle/main weapon.

Ya the DMR bloom is dumb, but having it as a 1 shot weapon is not. Ever since the H2 BR came out(to MASSIVE amounts of hatred) to replace the HCE pistol people have clamoured for a return to a 1 shot weapon.

1 shot instead of a burst of bullets adds a level of consistency. You either hit or you miss and more importantly, YOU KNOW IT. With the BR you could hit 2 bullets out of 3 in a burst and that turns a 4 shot into a 5. To you that looks and feels random because to you it looks like you hit all 4 shots. With a 1 shot gun you hit or you miss, that’s it.

Consistency in both function and appearance is a must for H4.

2- No duel wielding.

This is another AWFUL HCE to H2 change. Weapon diversity went down the tubes in H2 and H3 because of dueling. The weapons that could be dueled became so weak and range deficient that half of them became joke weapons. Plasma pistols, needlers and pistols are actually good in reach. Lets not go back to the main weapon + PWs formula we had for H2/H3.

Not to mention it’s just stupid and takes away from the halo formula of guns, melee and grenades.

I agree with both of the points in the OP.

-Halo 2 BR was 1 shot and hitscan.
-Dual Wielding has to come back, I’d prefer 2 SMG’s over the AR, or make the dual wieldable weapons stronger when you only have 1.

> I agree with both of the points in the OP.

Hey matclan, this is Cooper.

Signing into this site is stupid. I can’t get my main up and running.

> -Halo 2 BR was 1 shot and hitscan.
> -Dual Wielding has to come back, I’d prefer 2 SMG’s over the AR.
> -

1-Post patch the H2 BR more or less functioned like a one shot weapon but still my point still stands.

2- That’s a really bad point and does nothing to even attempt to refute my points on the topic.

> 1- 1 shot rifle/main weapon.
>
> Ya the DMR bloom is dumb, but having it as a 1 shot weapon is not. Ever since the H2 BR came out(to MASSIVE amounts of hatred) to replace the HCE pistol people have clamoured for a return to a 1 shot weapon.
>
> 1 shot instead of a burst of bullets adds a level of consistency. You either hit or you miss and more importantly, YOU KNOW IT. With the BR you could hit 2 bullets out of 3 in a burst and that turns a 4 shot into a 5. To you that looks and feels random because to you it looks like you hit all 4 shots. With a 1 shot gun you hit or you miss, that’s it.
>
> Consistency in both function and appearance is a must for H4.

While it’s true that a single shot rifle takes more skill, this only applies to LAN conditions with bullet travel times. As hitscan is clearly what the game needs to guarantee consistency, single shot weapon is not the most optimal choice. This is because with hitscan you only need to get your reticle on the opponents head for a fraction of a second, that’s not very hard.

With burst weapons instead, comes the need to consitently to be able to keep your reticle at the opponent. While it might seem inconsistent because you don’t see the exact situation as it happens too fast, it’s still something that differentiates good players from amazing players.

Burst firing hitscan weapon is consistent, the bullets will go exactly where you are aiming. It’s up to you are you aiming correctly.

> > -Halo 2 BR was 1 shot and hitscan.
> > -Dual Wielding has to come back, I’d prefer 2 SMG’s over the AR.
> > -
>
> 1-Post patch the H2 BR more or less functioned like a one shot weapon but still my point still stands.
>
> 2- That’s a really bad point and does nothing to even attempt to refute my points on the topic.

I’d prefer the Halo 2 PP BR over the DMR though. Dual wielding is just a personal preference I guess. Got so used to it in H2 and H3 that it disappointed me that they took it out for Reach.

> > 1- 1 shot rifle/main weapon.
> >
> > Ya the DMR bloom is dumb, but having it as a 1 shot weapon is not. Ever since the H2 BR came out(to MASSIVE amounts of hatred) to replace the HCE pistol people have clamoured for a return to a 1 shot weapon.
> >
> > 1 shot instead of a burst of bullets adds a level of consistency. You either hit or you miss and more importantly, YOU KNOW IT. With the BR you could hit 2 bullets out of 3 in a burst and that turns a 4 shot into a 5. To you that looks and feels random because to you it looks like you hit all 4 shots. With a 1 shot gun you hit or you miss, that’s it.
> >
> > Consistency in both function and appearance is a must for H4.
>
> While it’s true that a single shot rifle takes more skill, this only applies to LAN conditions with bullet travel times. As hitscan is clearly what the game needs to guarantee consistency, single shot weapon is not the most optimal choice. This is because with hitscan you only need to get your reticle on the opponents head for a fraction of a second, that’s not very hard.
>
> With burst weapons instead, comes the need to consitently to be able to keep your reticle at the opponent. While it might seem inconsistent because you don’t see the exact situation as it happens too fast, it’s still something that differentiates good players from amazing players.
>
> Burst firing hitscan weapon is consistent, the bullets will go exactly where you are aiming. It’s up to you are you aiming correctly.

So what if it’s harder? It lends itself to a feeling on inconsistency. Which is never a good thing. This is even ignoring the possibility of sweep shooting with a burst weapon.

Let me give you an example. With 3 bullets in a burst, with 60% of your reticle over the hitbox/magnestism area how many shots are going to hit? It’s impossible to know. While it’s true that in this scenario it’s also almost impossible to predict if a 1 shot weapon is going to hit, atleast you get the visual information of whether or not you scored a hit.

the duel weilding doesn’t bother me, but I do in fact need my BR back.

> the duel weilding doesn’t bother me, but I do in fact need my BR back.

The BR was one of the worst additions in franchise history.

> So what if it’s harder? It lends itself to a feeling on inconsistency. Which is never a good thing. This is even ignoring the possibility of sweep shooting with a burst weapon.
>
> Let me give you an example. With 3 bullets in a burst, with 60% of your reticle over the hitbox/magnestism area how many shots are going to hit? It’s impossible to know. While it’s true that in this scenario it’s also almost impossible to predict if a 1 shot weapon is going to hit, atleast you get the visual information of whether or not you scored a hit.

It’s a false feeling of inconsistency. If we have a burst fire weapon with hitscan and no spread, all the bullets in the burst will go exactly where you are aiming at. Therefore as they go where you aim, there is no inconsistency.

Burst fire is a great mechanic to fill the absence of bullet travel time. Because without bullet travel time, the shots are very easy to land (as proved by Reach). There are no cons in a carefully designed burst fire weapon.

And let me once more clarify one thing. If there is no spread, every bullet will land exactly at the center of the reticle (unless bullet magnetism is pulling them elsewhere). Therefore it’s not impossible to know where they will hit, you just need to look through the reticle.

While the immediate visual feedback of a single shot weapon is better than of a burst fire weapon, I believe it’s a good tradeoff. You will still know where to land that next shot even if you don’t know how many bullets from the last shot hit the target.

> > the duel weilding doesn’t bother me, but I do in fact need my BR back.
>
> The BR was one of the worst additions in franchise history.

I’m guessing your a fan of the AR??

I don’t like the idea that nothing from Halo Reach should be in Halo 4 just b/c many fans didn’t enjoy the game. In reality it really polished off the Halo experience that needed it for a long time now since every previous Halo game was concerned with innovation instead. Reach just runs so much smoother than any other Halo game which I really like even if I don’t like some of the additions they’ve added to the core gameplay.

Reach additions that should stay:

• netcode
  • assassinations (toggle in custom options)
  • active roster
  • customization (armory, forge, more custom options, etc.)
  • Forge World (or some other huge canvas map)
  • armor abilities (only for custom games, or specific playlists)

Reach additions that shouldn’t return:

• vehicle-wrecking weapons
  • unrealistic vehicle movement
  • weapon bloom (or make it adjustable in custom options)
  • overpowered explosions (grenades, banshee torpedo, fusion coils, etc.)
  • lack of BTB maps (all are Forge or Invasion maps)
  • too many Forge maps (Forge maps belong in community playlists)
  • lack of Invasion maps
  • lack of symmetrical maps (Slayer thrives on them)
  • No ranked playlists (just Arena)
  • lack of weapon balance
  • lack of vehicle balance
  • slow movement speed and lower jump height

Reach wasn’t disappointing for most people, just a select group of forums-dwellers.

I rather enjoyed Reach myself, i loved the campaign and most of the multiplayer. My two big things with Reach are . .

1. Armour -Yoinking!- abilities

2. DMR

I agree with you.

> make the dual wieldable weapons stronger when you only have 1.

This is why I stay on these forums. Things like this can only be found here.

Like the guy a few posts above me said

• assassinations (toggle in custom options)
  • active roster
  • customization (armory, forge, more custom options, etc.)
  • Forge World (or some other huge canvas map)

should stay.

SMG please.

I think that the BR had better be in H4, the DMR can stay as long as the BR is in. Dual wielding was a good addition to the game, though.

> Reach wasn’t disappointing for most people, just a select group of forums-dwellers.

I love Reach, personally.

1. I think the BR is much more satisfying than single shot weapons.

2. Don’t you dare talk about dual wielding that way.