Grappling hook worries

I saw a lot of things that I liked on the multiplayer reveal and a lot of things I disliked. In this thread I want to focus on one aspect I’m not too happy about: grappling hooks. I personally don’t have any issues with grappling hook being a part of the single player, however I think this kind of ability could bring some serious balance issues in a competitive context. Here are my main concerns:
-Jet packs were in my opinion the worst armor ability in Halo, especially Reach. The reason being that they completely broke the balance of the map and rendered any verticality pointless. If every spartan has a grappling hook in Infinite, anyone can get from the bottom to the top in a second, making any high ground impossible to maintain. Vertical maps will therefore lose what makes them unique and the overall aspect of controlling one part of the map will be watered down.
-Vehicle hijacking with grappling also seems completely overpowered. Judging from the gameplay, we can assume every vehicle will be affected by this ability. If you can do it to a flying vehicle, I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to do it to a warthog or a wraith. Aiming with a grapple seems very simple and the range of this thing seems quite decent. This means that any player at any moment can hijack any vehicle at any speed. All you have to do is aim and press a button. This is ridiculous. Tanks will be incredibly easy to hijack considering how slow they are. Even warthogs and mongooses will be easily hijackable, considering that you have to get within range to kill someone. Ramming opponents with vehicles such as ghosts will no longer be a viable option. In other words, you will have to be at a large distance from any other players in order to avoid being hijacked. I really don’t see why anyone would consider vehicles a good strategy anymore. BTB matches will literally become endless hijacking fests. This is of course if we assume that everyone will have this ability. I certainly hope its only a temporary power pick up.
-I just don’t see myself enjoying a match in which everyone can grapple anywhere at anytime. This kind of ability seems like a pace breaker and a headache inducing one.

I mean, its an equipment you have to pick up. Its not part of the basic kit.

As it is equipment I think it will be fine, it will be a power point of the map to control to win control of it.

Grappling will also be high risk, high reward. Think how easy it was to kill someone lifting up to the top of sniper tower on The Pit.

Plus the game modes where you have unlimited grapple, instant refresh will be a lot of fun.

Given it’s a pick up I think it will be ok. My question is will it be a timed piece of equipment where you get say 60 seconds of being able to use it or will it be a total number of uses kind of deal?. Let’s say you can use it 5-10 times before it disappears.

It sure is a very powerful tool. Both in positioning and also controlling power weapons and power ups but I trust that the charges, range etc. will all be tuned during flighting.
I think my biggest worry about the grapple is how forgiving it is aiming wise, in the last video a Spartan on bazaar got grappled on while the Spartans crosshair wasn’t even close to the body.

I feel the way to fix most concerns with the grappling hook is to limit how many are on the map and make it more skill based. For hijacking a vehicle, lower or remove the aim assist for it and make it more difficult. For moving around the environment, make it physics based like Apex, so you can either use the physics to your advantage or waste your shot with the grappling hook. Also, I think put one or two grapples per team on B2B. For slayer, one hook per player. This way, everyone isn’t zipping around. It’ll help the equipment be a tool and not an annoyance

> 2533274903814187;1:
> I saw a lot of things that I liked on the multiplayer reveal and a lot of things I disliked. In this thread I want to focus on one aspect I’m not too happy about: grappling hooks. I personally don’t have any issues with grappling hook being a part of the single player, however I think this kind of ability could bring some serious balance issues in a competitive context. Here are my main concerns:
> -Jet packs were in my opinion the worst armor ability in Halo, especially Reach. The reason being that they completely broke the balance of the map and rendered any verticality pointless. If every spartan has a grappling hook in Infinite, anyone can get from the bottom to the top in a second, making any high ground impossible to maintain. Vertical maps will therefore lose what makes them unique and the overall aspect of controlling one part of the map will be watered down.
> -Vehicle hijacking with grappling also seems completely overpowered. Judging from the gameplay, we can assume every vehicle will be affected by this ability. If you can do it to a flying vehicle, I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to do it to a warthog or a wraith. Aiming with a grapple seems very simple and the range of this thing seems quite decent. This means that any player at any moment can hijack any vehicle at any speed. All you have to do is aim and press a button. This is ridiculous. Tanks will be incredibly easy to hijack considering how slow they are. Even warthogs and mongooses will be easily hijackable, considering that you have to get within range to kill someone. Ramming opponents with vehicles such as ghosts will no longer be a viable option. In other words, you will have to be at a large distance from any other players in order to avoid being hijacked. I really don’t see why anyone would consider vehicles a good strategy anymore. BTB matches will literally become endless hijacking fests. This is of course if we assume that everyone will have this ability. I certainly hope its only a temporary power pick up.
> -I just don’t see myself enjoying a match in which everyone can grapple anywhere at anytime. This kind of ability seems like a pace breaker and a headache inducing one.

Jetpacks are the best armor ability in reach. Its addition is way better than adding sprint etc. I get that you dont know how to use it other wise you wouldn’t have conplained
it’s confirmed that not everyone will have a grappling hook may be one spartan at a time as it is a pickup.
The vehicle hijacking is confirmed to be a skill not everyone can pull it off.
Before coming and shiitting here plz do some research on what the previous blogs said

> 2535410664632466;7:
> > 2533274903814187;1:
> > I saw a lot of things that I liked on the multiplayer reveal and a lot of things I disliked. In this thread I want to focus on one aspect I’m not too happy about: grappling hooks. I personally don’t have any issues with grappling hook being a part of the single player, however I think this kind of ability could bring some serious balance issues in a competitive context. Here are my main concerns:
> > -Jet packs were in my opinion the worst armor ability in Halo, especially Reach. The reason being that they completely broke the balance of the map and rendered any verticality pointless. If every spartan has a grappling hook in Infinite, anyone can get from the bottom to the top in a second, making any high ground impossible to maintain. Vertical maps will therefore lose what makes them unique and the overall aspect of controlling one part of the map will be watered down.
> > -Vehicle hijacking with grappling also seems completely overpowered. Judging from the gameplay, we can assume every vehicle will be affected by this ability. If you can do it to a flying vehicle, I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to do it to a warthog or a wraith. Aiming with a grapple seems very simple and the range of this thing seems quite decent. This means that any player at any moment can hijack any vehicle at any speed. All you have to do is aim and press a button. This is ridiculous. Tanks will be incredibly easy to hijack considering how slow they are. Even warthogs and mongooses will be easily hijackable, considering that you have to get within range to kill someone. Ramming opponents with vehicles such as ghosts will no longer be a viable option. In other words, you will have to be at a large distance from any other players in order to avoid being hijacked. I really don’t see why anyone would consider vehicles a good strategy anymore. BTB matches will literally become endless hijacking fests. This is of course if we assume that everyone will have this ability. I certainly hope its only a temporary power pick up.
> > -I just don’t see myself enjoying a match in which everyone can grapple anywhere at anytime. This kind of ability seems like a pace breaker and a headache inducing one.
>
> Jetpacks are the best armor ability in reach. Its addition is way better than adding sprint etc. I get that you dont know how to use it other wise you wouldn’t have conplained
> it’s confirmed that not everyone will have a grappling hook may be one spartan at a time as it is a pickup.
> The vehicle hijacking is confirmed to be a skill not everyone can pull it off.
> Before coming and shiitting here plz do some research on what the previous blogs said

This guy gotta be trolling

One key element of the Grapplejack clip, is that the Wasp was barely moving. I wouldn’t be surprised if trying to grapplejack a vehicle that is moving top speed will either get you killed, or be impossible, since you can’t hijack vehicles in the first place if they are moving past a certain speed.

Plus, it’s a limited use pickup. It may even be one use, like other equipment. So I really don’t think there’s an issue. With a Spartan Laser you can just destroy the vehicle, and then you still have 3 shots to work with.

Yes, grapple could be a problem, but I do have confidence it will be balanced. If not, the flights should iron things out. But I am excited to see what community made games can do with it.

> 2533274894270677;8:
> > 2535410664632466;7:
> > > 2533274903814187;1:
> > > I saw a lot of things that I liked on the multiplayer reveal and a lot of things I disliked. In this thread I want to focus on one aspect I’m not too happy about: grappling hooks. I personally don’t have any issues with grappling hook being a part of the single player, however I think this kind of ability could bring some serious balance issues in a competitive context. Here are my main concerns:
> > > -Jet packs were in my opinion the worst armor ability in Halo, especially Reach. The reason being that they completely broke the balance of the map and rendered any verticality pointless. If every spartan has a grappling hook in Infinite, anyone can get from the bottom to the top in a second, making any high ground impossible to maintain. Vertical maps will therefore lose what makes them unique and the overall aspect of controlling one part of the map will be watered down.
> > > -Vehicle hijacking with grappling also seems completely overpowered. Judging from the gameplay, we can assume every vehicle will be affected by this ability. If you can do it to a flying vehicle, I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to do it to a warthog or a wraith. Aiming with a grapple seems very simple and the range of this thing seems quite decent. This means that any player at any moment can hijack any vehicle at any speed. All you have to do is aim and press a button. This is ridiculous. Tanks will be incredibly easy to hijack considering how slow they are. Even warthogs and mongooses will be easily hijackable, considering that you have to get within range to kill someone. Ramming opponents with vehicles such as ghosts will no longer be a viable option. In other words, you will have to be at a large distance from any other players in order to avoid being hijacked. I really don’t see why anyone would consider vehicles a good strategy anymore. BTB matches will literally become endless hijacking fests. This is of course if we assume that everyone will have this ability. I certainly hope its only a temporary power pick up.
> > > -I just don’t see myself enjoying a match in which everyone can grapple anywhere at anytime. This kind of ability seems like a pace breaker and a headache inducing one.
> >
> > Jetpacks are the best armor ability in reach. Its addition is way better than adding sprint etc. I get that you dont know how to use it other wise you wouldn’t have conplained
> > it’s confirmed that not everyone will have a grappling hook may be one spartan at a time as it is a pickup.
> > The vehicle hijacking is confirmed to be a skill not everyone can pull it off.
> > Before coming and shiitting here plz do some research on what the previous blogs said
>
> This guy gotta be trolling

Yeah I won’t even waste my time with him.

> 2533274848663644;2:
> I mean, its an equipment you have to pick up. Its not part of the basic kit.

In that case, I guess its fine.

> 2533274903814187;12:
> > 2533274848663644;2:
> > I mean, its an equipment you have to pick up. Its not part of the basic kit.
>
> In that case, I guess its fine.

yeah there’s only ever going to be one in play at any given time in matchmaking, unless you can manage to hold onto it long enough for it to respawn I suppose

I heard Infinite is going to have a piece of equipment that when you pick it up, it renders your spartan almost completely invisible. To me this is game breaking because when someone is invisible you can’t see them and they could just shoot you. /s

So. I have no worries. Dont let this be the next salt factory debate like with sprint. Also when racing towards a " power " weapon, surely it looks, judging from the mp video shots that the grappleshot can totally beating sprinting foes by grabbing that juicy rocket launcher from right under his/ her nose.

I do wonder how many uses the thingies we pick up have.

Grapple Hook: Unlimited uses until death, average to long recharge? Gone when you die, AKA your opponent wont get it of your hand?
Overshield: One use, instant activation. If saved and you die, the opponent will get it.
Active Camo: One use, instant activation. If saved and you die, the opponent will get it.
Repulsor: One use, instant activation. If saved and you die, the opponent will get it.

Im sure missing somthings and BET theres more to come.

As long as the hook is limited use i dont see it as too big of a problem as a pickup. Hopefully if it is broken it’ll be changed during the flight feedback.

> 2533274848663644;2:
> I mean, its an equipment you have to pick up. Its not part of the basic kit.

yea I was worried about that cause I thought the grapple hook would be for everyone

> 2535438689577513;17:
> > 2533274848663644;2:
> > I mean, its an equipment you have to pick up. Its not part of the basic kit.
>
> yea I was worried about that cause I thought the grapple hook would be for everyone

I so thought that at first. Would be a hilarious game mode/ playlist in rotation though.

" Grappleshot Galore! "

Swingabingabang. having 8, 12 players etc just grappling all over the place.
yeah, it would be utter chaos! But fun chaos!

> 2535455538551358;14:
> I heard Infinite is going to have a piece of equipment that when you pick it up, it renders your spartan almost completely invisible. To me this is game breaking because when someone is invisible you can’t see them and they could just shoot you. /s

xD

No offense but as soon as I see anyone use the term this particular item “breaks the map” I roll my eyes. It’s 2021, it’s not 2001 or 2008 anymore. If you want to play old halo , go play old halo. That’s why they made the master chief collection. The new games are about moving forward , narratively, spiritually, and with new technology. Every upgrade or power up will have a counter… always has , always will. If you didn’t like jet pack , you didn’t have to use it and a half decent sniper could obliterate most jet pack users I’m halo 4.
let’s be honest , no one complaints about the energy sword or the sniper… you know why , because they are only overpowered in the hands of a skilled user. Anyone can take down a sword or sniper if they know what they are doing also. Real facts , most of you just want to dominate day one and -Yoink!- newbs and you don’t like any advantage a lesser skilled player might have. The whole “but it’s breaks the game, map , combat” narrative is a disingenuous argument because balance is the last thing any player wants. You want to kill your opponent , you don’t care if you think they felt it was fair. You just don’t like it if it takes you 3 seconds longer to kill them or they get you. That’s Halo my friend, get gud