Grapple Hook vs. Abilities

Which do you believe is more exciting/intriguing? Grapple Hook or the new mechanics of abilities? For me, the grapple hook is more exciting because of the fact that I’m going to be able to swing around the map. However, the fact that abilities are going to be more of a decision-based mechanic makes me excited for the opportunities and plays that Spartans will be able to create.

From just what we’ve seen the equipment seems already balanced (not to say it’s fully balanced, we’ll find that out ourselves). Say something like the new shield, you have to place it strategically maybe in between a doorway like we saw; but the player can still be exposed from the back and the shield is breakable. That one is definitely unique and different from the bubble shield. I think all of the equipment will play off of other equipment well.

> 2535426659954778;1:
> Which do you believe is more exciting/intriguing? Grapple Hook or the new mechanics of abilities? For me, the grapple hook is more exciting because of the fact that I’m going to be able to swing around the map. However, the fact that abilities are going to be more of a decision-based mechanic makes me excited for the opportunities and plays that Spartans will be able to create.

Both play off each other so well it’s hard to pick one.

I’m jumping to conclusions because I obviously have not played the game… I think it already seems too much.
-No limited uses/cool down
-Can pull towards enemies
-No break level design (look at jet packs)
-Can pull power weapons/weapons

I’m excited for the grappling hook, and would like to see what changes they make to it for ranked. Possibly a cooldown timer, or only 1-2 charges per life? Just some ideas

> 2535426659954778;1:
> Which do you believe is more exciting/intriguing? Grapple Hook or the new mechanics of abilities? For me, the grapple hook is more exciting because of the fact that I’m going to be able to swing around the map. However, the fact that abilities are going to be more of a decision-based mechanic makes me excited for the opportunities and plays that Spartans will be able to create.

Kind of confused, isn’t the grapple shot part of the “abilities” or are you talking about base player traits and not about the equipment? Also I don’t think we’ve seen swing physics. From what I understand the grapple pulls in a straight line trajectory.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

Both.

> 2533274833656619;5:
> I’m excited for the grappling hook, and would like to see what changes they make to it for ranked. Possibly a cooldown timer, or only 1-2 charges per life? Just some ideas

Both probably. In that one clip where a spartan first grapples the Skewer and after that grapples the wasp the cooldown seems rather short, but i guess that was just for theatrical purposes ;-). Also still curious what happens when you grapple a power-up seeing they are equipment too. Will it make you drop the grapple or just instantly activate it.
The equipment i’m most excited about it the repulsor. Especially since it’s use as both a defensive and movement option.

Concerning the abilities/movement i will miss the thrust equipment and the hover while scoped from H5, but those will probably will find their way into infinite for custom playlist/games in the future.

> 2535424555550180;2:
> From just what we’ve seen the equipment seems already balanced (not to say it’s fully balanced, we’ll find that out ourselves). Say something like the new shield, you have to place it strategically maybe in between a doorway like we saw; but the player can still be exposed from the back and the shield is breakable. That one is definitely unique and different from the bubble shield. I think all of the equipment will play off of other equipment well.

And hopefully all of it will be useful in campaign (looking at you, Radar Jammer and Flare)

> 2535422212492174;8:
> > 2533274833656619;5:
> > I’m excited for the grappling hook, and would like to see what changes they make to it for ranked. Possibly a cooldown timer, or only 1-2 charges per life? Just some ideas
>
> Both probably. In that one clip where a spartan first grapples the Skewer and after that grapples the wasp the cooldown seems rather short, but i guess that was just for theatrical purposes ;-). Also still curious what happens when you grapple a power-up seeing they are equipment too. Will it make you drop the grapple or just instantly activate it.
> The equipment i’m most excited about it the repulsor. Especially since it’s use as both a defensive and movement option.
>
> Concerning the abilities/movement i will miss the thrust equipment and the hover while scoped from H5, but those will probably will find their way into infinite for custom playlist/games in the future.

Yeah I figured the cool down was short just for the video.

I think with the power ups if you grapple them they go directly in your inventory.

I’ll miss thrust and hover as well, but I actually hope they don’t make it back to this game. Time to move forward away from H5.

> 2535426659954778;1:

The hook probably has more varied applications

> 2533274833656619;10:
> > 2535422212492174;8:
> > > 2533274833656619;5:
> > > I’ll miss thrust and hover as well, but I actually hope they don’t make it back to this game. Time to move forward away from H5.

I’m agree we have to move forward away from H5, but I think it would be a step back and a shame to remove some abilites like : seat switching in vehicles, climb wall and stabilizer jump. Those three abilities were wonderfull. For a game where you can have a hook, it would be weird to can’t even do this things.