Graphics Concern

Before I get bashed without the entire post being read, this thread is not about resolution or the art style. The explosions are one issue, but it looks like they are here to stay, for the worse. It would be in great favor if 343 could increase the fidelity of those explosions, but seeing recent gameplay it seem unlikely, However, the explosion are not the threads major topic.

First off, I assume many of you have seen the Sanghelios Gameplay uploaded 3 days ago. I can suppose that most of you viewed it on youtube, which takes the video you uploaded and compresses it for better web streaming - or at least in most cases this is the way it works. In turn the video is slightly blurrier and any artifacts or visual ailments are more difficult to notice.

I decided to download the gameplay b-roll, which has a video bit rate of nearly 27kbps. I decided to take a closer look at some scenes and noticed a similar issue that was present in Halo 4. There were some texture lod issues - distant textures have the weird grid pattern and are blurry at a distance, and pop in to full detail upon getting closer. GTA 5, even on PC has a similar problem. As far as I remember, this was not an issue in Halo 3, Reach or H2A, but is still an issue in Halo 4 in the MCC.

Another visual ailment, or perhaps the two most important ones, is the lack of decent texture filtering or anti aliasing.

In every Warzone footage I have seen, as well as this recent campaign footage, the ground textures are blurry when viewed from low angles (Pretty much anything a couple meters and further in front). This could be fixed with an implementation of Anisotropic Filtering, a setting that even at maximum configuration has negligible impact on performance. I have seen many game benchmarks, and done many myself; this setting requires very little resources.

In terms of anti aliasing, it seems that there is none at all. Now, I am not implying they should go ahead and use MSAA or SSAA, but anything at this point would suffice. It is unbearable to look at games with jagged polygons in the distance. Notice how this is only visible in gameplays for the most part? Every up close screenshot 343 releases seems super great, but I believe that is due to higher polygon count Spartan models and the possible application of filters. Two very simple and non resource hungry anti aliasing techniques that could be implemented (and one of them should) are FXAA and SMAA.

Some may disagree with me here, but i would not mind sacrificing some other things to implement these features if performance is that much of an issue. I know the game runs at dynamic resolution scaling, which just shows the failure of “next gen” hardware, or at least Xbox hardware. It is sad when a $150 GPU outperforms consoles by a long shot. I used to have a GTX 760, which retailed at around $250 and it has 80% more computational power than the whole Xbox One console. Lol

Edit : Here is a link to a Imgur album

Despite taking bmp screenshots, and then saving lossless with max settings, some things are still difficult to see. On the screenshots I mainly focused on the texture filtering. As I mentioned earlier, adding texture filtering usually has very little performance impact.

To better see what I am trying to show, I would suggest to download the b-roll here.

760 is a beautiful little card. Still running one myself, though particle effects in MGS5 are making it melt.

It all looks frickin gorgeous to me

What are you hoping to achieve with this? It’s too late for changes at this point, and I’m sure no one will debate the limitations of the current consoles. Actually, yeah someone will.
I imagine 343i has done what they can with the Xbone, or at least I hope they have.

I know what you are talking about, and I do believe that I have seen that happen in Halo 3 as well, but that may just be my memory failing me. With that being said, I couldnt really see it happening in the swords of sanghelios gameplay, could you get a screenshot of it happening?

don’t get too worried it is just early gameplay it is not finished yet

> 2535415305234137;6:
> don’t get too worried it is just early gameplay it is not finished yet

The game will be released in 5 weeks, meaning 343 optimistically has 3 weeks left to work on it. What we see is what we get at this point, unless it’s an incredibly minor tweak.

> 2533274823519895;7:
> > 2535415305234137;6:
> > don’t get too worried it is just early gameplay it is not finished yet
>
>
> The game will be released in 5 weeks, meaning 343 optimistically has 3 weeks left to work on it. What we see is what we get at this point, unless it’s an incredibly minor tweak.

I disagree, usually visuals are the some of the last things worked on a game, and right now we’re seeing the home stretch. It may not be drastic visual changes, but to say that the visuals won’t be better than the gameplay we saw from months ago, I think is pre-mature.

> 2535406337445965;8:
> > 2533274823519895;7:
> > > 2535415305234137;6:
> > > don’t get too worried it is just early gameplay it is not finished yet
> >
> >
> > The game will be released in 5 weeks, meaning 343 optimistically has 3 weeks left to work on it. What we see is what we get at this point, unless it’s an incredibly minor tweak.
>
>
> I disagree, usually visuals are the some of the last things worked on a game, and right now we’re seeing the home stretch. It may not be drastic visual changes, but to say that the visuals won’t be better than the gameplay we saw from months ago, I think is pre-mature.

A few months ago? The swords of sanghelios gameplay came out a few days ago. What we see is what we’re getting. Lol

Edit : Here is a link to a Imgur album

Despite taking bmp screenshots, and then saving lossless with max settings, some things are still difficult to see. On the screenshots I mainly focused on the texture filtering. As I mentioned earlier, adding texture filtering usually has very little performance impact.

To better see what I am trying to show, I would suggest to download the b-roll here.

The game is atleast on par with Destiny in graphics and lighting, and running DOUBLE the framerate.
So yeah, not the most gorgeous game ever, but it’s still certainly not something to sniff at for what it’s doing.

Explosions are pretty hard to pull off. Ask yourself this. What is the 3D shape of fire?
I reckon 343 did alright with the explosions. Maybe some Help from Square Enix could of done good, I mean Just Cause 3.

> 2533274882881665;12:
> Explosions are pretty hard to pull off. Ask yourself this. What is the 3D shape of fire?
> I reckon 343 did alright with the explosions. Maybe some Help from Square Enix could of done good, I mean Just Cause 3.

They could be better, they are nearly identical to Halo 4 explosions lmao. H2A explosions were nice, they should have used those as a foundation. Battlefiled has nice explosions. I doubt it is the limitation of the engine, but more or less the work of the art team. I mean they were lazy in the elite designs as some might argue…

The slow loading textures was defiantly a problem in Reach, and as someone said i’m pretty sure it was a thing in Halo 3 as well.

I think this is partially due to the current consoles being awful. My 7 year old PC that was only mid range when I got it (and pretty cheap as well) is still massively more powerful than the Xbox One.

Current console have joke hardware, aka meme hardware like the GTX 750/750 Ti. Meme because those cards are roughly equivalent to the Xbone and PS4.

PS4 has around 1.8 tflops of computing power, which is acceptable.

Xbox one has around 1.3 tflops when Kinect is disabled. They put in an extra measly 32mb of esram (high bandwidth) for the gpu because they decided to use 8gb of unified GDDR3 and not GDDR5 like the PS4. Those 32mb supposedly help in decreasing the performance gap.

IMO, that is laughable. The GTX 760 I mentioned has 2.3 tflops of computing power alone! That is like 80% more than the whole Xbox. I would not mind if there were multiple versions of Xbox’s released with different hardware. However, in order to balance the gameplay and make it fair, the settings of games would be optimized with respect to the hardware. For example on different systems, a game would run at 60fps, although would look better on one than the other.

Ok, so everyone here has no problem admitting the xb1 hardware is weak and outdated, but yet halo 5 should look better despite it being one of the only locked 60fps games on console AND having more scale AND having more AI computations than most other shooters. Is that what I’m hearing, we need squeeze more water from the stone? :stuck_out_tongue:

> 2583538179102961;17:
> Ok, so everyone here has no problem admitting the xb1 hardware is weak and outdated, but yet halo 5 should look better despite it being one of the only locked 60fps games on console AND having more scale AND having more AI computations than most other shooters. Is that what I’m hearing, we need squeeze more water from the stone? :stuck_out_tongue:

Not sure about that bolded.

And also - yeah. That’s the reason 343 was created: to make a product that sells Xboxes. It sucks if they’re dealing with crappy hardware, but then maybe Microsoft should have thought of that before they half–Yoinked!- the Xbone, or 343 should have thought of that before they assaulted the player’s eyes with lens flares and particle effects.

We have to remember frame-rate. 60 frames and a near-constant 1080p will definitely compromise graphical fidelity. The game still looks pretty good, mind you, just not as good as Halo 4 was for 2012. The jump from visuals is like comparing Brawl to Smash 4. Things look sharper and all, but nothing too significant. We also have to remember that Frank O’Connor talked about experiential fidelity, which directly affects gameplay. As we know, gameplay will always be more important than graphics.

Then again, it is not a locked 1080p, it is using dynamic resolution. They should have capped it at like 900p or 950p and used the remaining power on anti aliasing and texture filtering.

OR, they should have applied those effects before going overboard with everything else - they should have implemented the essentials! Not having texture filtering in 2015 is embarrassing.