Got booted for the first time!

I was doing Team Slayer and got booted because my idiot teammate ran into my grenade. I went back and watched the video for this match. I stuck my enemy with a sticky grenade, he ran up to me, we both died. 3 seconds later I got booted. I had no idea what I did until I went back and watched the video. Right after I stuck the enemy, my idiot teammate sprinted towards the guy that I stuck. He died from the blast. Why was I booted? This was the first time since Halo Reach was released that I was booted from a match. I don’t get it. Why didn’t I get the option to boot that idiot for running into my sticky grenade? This makes no sense. And on top of that, I’ve been trying to get the 10 headshot challenge all day today and I was finally getting close and then I got booted. I had 5/10 with 7+ minutes remaining. Thanks to whoever designed the booting process for being completely incompetent.

You have to live with it, sorry dude. The betrayal system is messed up. I’m surprised you haven’t been booted before.

> I was doing Team Slayer and got booted because my idiot teammate ran into my grenade. I went back and watched the video for this match. I stuck my enemy with a sticky grenade, he ran up to me, we both died. 3 seconds later I got booted. I had no idea what I did until I went back and watched the video. Right after I stuck the enemy, my idiot teammate sprinted towards the guy that I stuck. He died from the blast. Why was I booted? This was the first time since Halo Reach was released that I was booted from a match. I don’t get it. Why didn’t I get the option to boot that idiot for running into my sticky grenade? This makes no sense. And on top of that, I’ve been trying to get the 10 headshot challenge all day today and I was finally getting close and then I got booted. I had 5/10 with 7+ minutes remaining. Thanks to whoever designed the booting process for being completely incompetent.

I’m very sorry that you had happen to you that SOOO Many of us have had happen to us all. I’m not trying to sound UN-sympathetic. It’s a sad thing how the boot system works. I have no idea what criteria it looks for. Worse, that player could have been one of those kids, who shouldn’t even be playing an M-Rated game and yet they think it’s funny to betray, talk mindless trash, and so much other garbage. Never the less, I’m sorry that you had a such a hard happening. However, you’re best bet is to take 5 cool off, walk away and just relax. If you get too worked up life just won’t be fun for you.

> You have to live with it, sorry dude. The betrayal system is messed up. I’m surprised you haven’t been booted before.

This.

It seems like when Reach was originally designed, it was given a “lightswitch” for betrayal booting. It could offer to boot on every betrayal, or it could use the current system. Neither of them work.

I’m very sorry that you had happen to you that SOOO Many of us have had happen to us all. I’m not trying to sound UN-sympathetic. It’s a sad thing how the boot system works. I have no idea what criteria it looks for. Worse, that player could have been one of those kids, who shouldn’t even be playing an M-Rated game and yet they think it’s funny to betray, talk mindless trash, and so much other garbage. Never the less, I’m sorry that you had a such a hard happening. However, you’re best bet is to take 5 cool off, walk away and just relax. If you get too worked up life just won’t be fun for you.
[/quote]
You’re right. I was extremely ticked off last night seeing as how I’ve never been booted before. But yea, I took some time off and it went back to being fun. :slight_smile:

There should be a way of protesting a boot. Or it should be put to a vote by the whole team or all players. It shouldn’t be left to one person. Its a horribly designed system that needs to be fixed. I could be having the game of my life and some idiot that I mentioned before decides to go running into my grenade and dies, I get booted, no credits, no challenge completion, nothing. It would be awesome if 343 actually looked into this.

Lol, group voting to boot would be terrible. I can guarantee you teams would vote to kick just for giggles. (How do I know this? I know my teammates, we’d do it to each other to be jerks, and we LIKE each other. Imagine how it would go with someone we don’t know/don’t like on the team.)

If this is the first time you’ve been booted, count your blessings and move on. They aren’t going to fix Reach’s broken booting with H4 on the horizon.

> They aren’t going to fix Reach’s broken booting

I wouldn’t even call it broken. If you are careful about where you put your grenades/bullets, you won’t get booted often. I have been booted only once by a person I didn’t know and it was because I shot a rocket into a group of two teammates and two enemies knowing full well I’d get two betrayals and a suicide at the cost of two enemies (I was stopping a flag capture my teammates weren’t quick enough to do). That one boot is after almost two years years of playing this.

It’s just as simple as being careful with what you do in each game. Yes, sometimes one team-kill will get you the boot in a game, but that’s usually because you have betrayed fellow players in games before that. The system never seemed that bad to me.

> > They aren’t going to fix Reach’s broken booting
>
> I wouldn’t even call it broken. <mark>If you are careful about where you put your grenades/bullets, you won’t get booted often</mark>. I have been booted only once by a person I didn’t know and it was because I shot a rocket into a group of two teammates and two enemies knowing full well I’d get two betrayals and a suicide at the cost of two enemies (I was stopping a flag capture my teammates weren’t quick enough to do). That one boot is after almost two years years of playing this.
>
> It’s just as simple as being careful with what you do in each game. Yes, sometimes one team-kill will get you the boot in a game, but that’s usually because you have betrayed fellow players in games before that. The system never seemed that bad to me.

This should not focus at the booted but the bootee? I have a short video in my file share containing a video of a guy clearly going to hijack a Ghost with 4 Plasma Launcher grenades heading for it. You can’t miss them. He Hijacked the Ghost as they were about to detonate ad immediately booted me without reviewing the situation. He bad mouthed me in a message AFTER booting me and he didn’t even realise I was the highest scoring player in the game at that point.

I can’t tolerate betrayers that betray without betraying. So I got to the Wraith before you. Why did you continue to shoot me and shoot me out of the wraith just so YOU can have it? No option to boot. But I throw a grenade at him because he doesn’t deserve it, clearly, and I get booted. It’s a real piss-take.

OT: I think one of the regular posters mentioned it’s like a meter. The more you betray, the more it fills. As it gets to a certain point players will have the option to boot you. Which is why sometimes it doesn’t allow you to boot them instantly if they betray you. If they stop then it meter will decay (over a period of about 3 games - that’s if they don’t betray again). It’s to stop regular nuisances. But as people have mentioned, it’s broke in places and never helps the innocent.

> This should not focus at the booted but the bootee? I have a short video in my file share containing a video of a guy clearly going to hijack a Ghost with 4 Plasma Launcher grenades heading for it. You can’t miss them. He Hijacked the Ghost as they were about to detonate ad immediately booted me without reviewing the situation. He bad mouthed me in a message AFTER booting me and he didn’t even realise I was the highest scoring player in the game at that point.
>
> I can’t tolerate betrayers that betray without betraying. So I got to the Wraith before you. Why did you continue to shoot me and shoot me out of the wraith just so YOU can have it? No option to boot. But I throw a grenade at him because he doesn’t deserve it, clearly, and I get booted. It’s a real piss-take.

Can’t always help people being stupid. Still, if you are careful, one or two betrayals like that won’t get you booted. It’s when you start accruing betrayals like that game after game where you’ll find yourself booted instantly.

Also, I believe if multiple betrayals start happening in one game the option to boot is more likely to appear. For example, that guy you mentioned betrays you for the Wraith, you counter-betray, you’ll have the option put on you. It’s safer to just be as annoying as you can. You know, lower shields constantly, stand in the guy’s way, etc.

> > They aren’t going to fix Reach’s broken booting
>
> I wouldn’t even call it broken. If you are careful about where you put your grenades/bullets, you won’t get booted often. I have been booted only once by a person I didn’t know and it was because I shot a rocket into a group of two teammates and two enemies knowing full well I’d get two betrayals and a suicide at the cost of two enemies (I was stopping a flag capture my teammates weren’t quick enough to do). That one boot is after almost two years years of playing this.
>
> It’s just as simple as being careful with what you do in each game. Yes, sometimes one team-kill will get you the boot in a game, but that’s usually because you have betrayed fellow players in games before that. The system never seemed that bad to me.

I’ve noticed that it’s not so much that people get angry over being booted for an accidental betrayal, but rather not getting the option to boot for when a betrayal was, without a doubt, done on purpose. I very rarely get booted myself, but it is incredibly aggravating when a teammate thinks it’s cool to kill me just because I managed to get an item before he did.

@snickerdoodle: You know us all too well! :stuck_out_tongue:

Take my advice. Don’t fall in love with Reach too much. My friends have had the mistake of paying for all the map packs and rarely got a chance to play them. They were also in for attempting to achieve goals in challenges but never could because of bad players on their team online and people who boot for accidental betrayals. If you really like Reach, keep playing. But I highly recommend checking out other games or playing other Halo’s like Halo 3. Much better than Reach, IMO.

Hope Halo 4 doesn’t have too much of the downsides Reach had.

Being booted is never fun but you will just have to move on really.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.