Good bad and ugly

Good:
1/They actually fixed the hideous see through shotgun in anniversary and messed up 343 distant shading while in classic mode. Of us that complained, yes we are cretins. Mind you i did have to download patch

2/No huge slowing down of frame rate in either modes

Bad:
1/ Sound levels are all over the place in comparison to the original. The assault rifle sounds really good actually but it’s so loud now that it does your head in after so long. The trouble is that turning this down to a more acceptable level means you can’t really hear anything else, from other gun sounds, collision effects and just about all the voices. I’ve since listened to the original Halo1 sounds on my xbox1 and the emulated version already on 360, and it’s very much quieter than the din we have now. Guns are supposed to be loud of course but not to the extend you want to turn the damn thing down and as a result can’t here anything else

2/Not a big deal but the framerate is a bit skippy even on anniversary- more so actually. It’s fine to be honest but not buttery smooth as some people may have been expecting

3/Plasma charge doesn’t animate on occasion with just the sound activating instead. Not a massive deal but this shouts unfinished work by 343

4/Despite the gfx being fixed for 343 distant scenery regards to wrong shading, there is however badly emulated snowy mist on Assault on the Control room. Looking up high reveals that the top part of this world now longer fades to a beautiful white mist and instead we have a huge black mist and volcano top- this basically makes these top altitude sections very unsightly now especially when you fly your banshee up into them- your banshee and objects beneath this layer appears to invert shade to an ENTIRE white colour. Maybe not a biggy for some but for others, the illusion that has always been that thiese cliffs are incredibly high, well that’s lost entirely here now

5/ I could be wrong but i thought the plasma charged made the pad rumble where it doesn’t now in anniversary

6/ There are no metal crunching sounds for when a Banshee falls to the ground and Warthog clashes are the same. There is however a slight bashing effect that sound like a bag of crisps being hit. Not game breaking but a bit rubbish if you were to ask me

7/ I could be wrong but the plasma only seems to take half as long to charge now and even goes off by itself at times. Could be wrong but it seems to behave oddly now at times

8/Some of the locations in their new graphics look are really very well done, others are downright bad and something i’d only expect from a lesser experienced crew of designers. Some of the interior work for Assault on the Control room is very bad indeed and you may even cry

9/ Cutscenes now show a nodding of the head from Chief to signify where a silent yes or no has taken place and it just looks stupid. Not exactly subtle either. Further proof that if this truly was for the fans then 343 would have left that nonsense out. I know people are generally stupid but this sort of rubbish really isn’t needed and shows a lack of creative thought from either the actor or those directing these silly movements in the first place

Ugly:
1/ My face when upon noticing all the bad stuff

The biggest problem by far for me right now is the overpowering assault rifle sounds against everything else trying to be heard. The pistol is just as loud to be honest but it’s not a rattled off sound like the assault

What’s here in this package is terrific but it is spoiled mostly by rubbish playtesting. The Firefight map is worth it alone but fans that adore every inch of Halo 1 are going to be saddened by some of these things. Bear in mind i still play Halo1 more than any other game so these differences stand out considerably to me

Edit: i’ve added one more to the list of bad. Ae there any others niggles people want to mention here

The game itself is Good, Johnson and Keyes are bolth Bad-ases (censored) and the Grunt’s faces are Ugly, lol
(and for your face being ugly, i gotta agree if you wish).
(and yes! i did say bolth instead of both).

Honestly I don’t like the grenade throwing animation in Anniversary mode… in classic mode you can tell you’re throwing it hard and it’s pretty smooth in anniversary mode it just looks normal but ridiculously sped up and then you have this grenade coming out at a straight angle really fast when you just threw it downward animation wise… it’s like umm wtf? I’m just surprised you didn’t catch that…

> 4/Despite the gfx being fixed for 343 distant scenery regards to wrong shading, there is however badly emulated snowy mist on Assault on the Control room. Looking up high reveals that the top part of this world now longer fades to a beautiful white mist and instead we have a huge black mist and volcano top- this basically makes these top altitude sections very unsightly now especially when you fly your banshee up into them- your banshee and objects beneath this layer appears to invert shade to an ENTIRE white colour. Maybe not a biggy for some but for others, the illusion that has always been that thiese cliffs are incredibly high, well that’s lost entirely here now

Can you post some pics or something? Is it really as bad as you say?

> > 4/Despite the gfx being fixed for 343 distant scenery regards to wrong shading, there is however badly emulated snowy mist on Assault on the Control room. Looking up high reveals that the top part of this world now longer fades to a beautiful white mist and instead we have a huge black mist and volcano top- this basically makes these top altitude sections very unsightly now especially when you fly your banshee up into them- your banshee and objects beneath this layer appears to invert shade to an ENTIRE white colour. Maybe not a biggy for some but for others, the illusion that has always been that thiese cliffs are incredibly high, well that’s lost entirely here now
>
> Can you post some pics or something? Is it really as bad as you say?

Yes i’ll try and get some pics up today. If you can imagine that while looking up to the sky on Control room, the tallest part that fades to an eventual all white, it’s this part that now fades to a dark grey or black even, and this breaks the illusion of the incredibly high cliff. Once up as high as these points, the method used for colouring them goes even more wierd with your Banshee and many of the objects on the ground being entirely shaded white. That’s pretty much it and so while it’s still not a problem as such, it’s still pretty horrible to look at now ompared to what it should look like- i personally loved looking up to these points and got a real sense of awe from them previously but not now

It’s mostly good works from 343 etc but you have to wonder just how many times the teams has really played through the campaign if they didn’t notice something as obvious as the things mentioned

Shotgun glitch by the way is still there without the patch applied

> > > 4/Despite the gfx being fixed for 343 distant scenery regards to wrong shading, there is however badly emulated snowy mist on Assault on the Control room. Looking up high reveals that the top part of this world now longer fades to a beautiful white mist and instead we have a huge black mist and volcano top- this basically makes these top altitude sections very unsightly now especially when you fly your banshee up into them- your banshee and objects beneath this layer appears to invert shade to an ENTIRE white colour. Maybe not a biggy for some but for others, the illusion that has always been that thiese cliffs are incredibly high, well that’s lost entirely here now
> >
> > Can you post some pics or something? Is it really as bad as you say?
>
> Yes i’ll try and get some pics up today. If you can imagine that while looking up to the sky on Control room, the tallest part that fades to an eventual all white, it’s this part that now fades to a dark grey or black even, and this breaks the illusion of the incredibly high cliff. Once up as high as these points, the method used for colouring them goes even more wierd with your Banshee and many of the objects on the ground being entirely shaded white. That’s pretty much it and so while it’s still not a problem as such, it’s still pretty horrible to look at now ompared to what it should look like- i personally loved looking up to these points and got a real sense of awe from them previously but not now
>
> It’s mostly good works from 343 etc but they you have to wonder just how much the team really played through the campaign all these years if they didn’t notice something as obvious as this
>
> Shotgun glitch by the way is still there without the patch applied

me too, thats why I hope it isn’t as bad as I’m imagining it.

^^ its their first try. and its only a small project produced really fast… :wink:

me? i don’t even like the textures of the first mission (PoA).^^ but its just a facelift so no problem with this^^

Mikerules

I forgot to mention that this is classic mode i’m referring to about the cliff’s mist effect- anniversary mode looks well done up top there in comparison despite that even in this mode, the cliffs design is deliberately not extended that far either ie there isn’t the illusion effect people are used to from the original. The original of course only extended so far but it had a feeling it was far higher due to the white fade. Unfortunately this is gone now in both these modes but does at least look nice in anniversary mode

> ^^ its their first try. and its only a small project produced really fast… :wink:
>
> me? i don’t even like the textures of the first mission (PoA).^^ but its just a facelift so no problem with this^^

Yeah i think it shows how little time they had really for tweaking and testing. I can still enjoy the game despite quite a few niggles all over the place though but bit of a shame. I’ll simply go back to the original if i want that pure experience but it will be nice to play coop again with pals, and the addition of skulls is nice

When you talk about a screwed up fade, is it anything like the Halo PC sky issue?

From what I’ve seen, the classic mode layer seems to be using HPC’s graphics as its base.

> Mikerules
>
>
> I forgot to mention that this is classic mode i’m referring to about the cliff’s mist effect- anniversary mode looks well done up top there in comparison despite that even in this mode, the cliffs design is deliberately not extended that far either ie there isn’t the illusion effect people are used to from the original. The original of course only extended so far but it had a feeling it was far higher due to the white fade. Unfortunately this is gone now in both these modes but does at least look nice in anniversary mode

thats kinda a big point to not mention lol. good to know it looks good in CEA at least.

> When you talk about a screwed up fade, is it anything like the Halo PC sky issue?
>
> From what I’ve seen, the classic mode layer seems to be using HPC’s graphics as its base.

Yup that’s pretty much how it is. For me personally it’s terrible but i can see this not being a problem for some. It feels like you’re no longer closed in by gigantic walls anymore and that’s a huge difference to atmosphere

> > Mikerules
> >
> >
> > I forgot to mention that this is classic mode i’m referring to about the cliff’s mist effect- anniversary mode looks well done up top there in comparison despite that even in this mode, the cliffs design is deliberately not extended that far either ie there isn’t the illusion effect people are used to from the original. The original of course only extended so far but it had a feeling it was far higher due to the white fade. Unfortunately this is gone now in both these modes but does at least look nice in anniversary mode
>
> thats kinda a big point to not mention lol. good to know it looks good in CEA at least.

Yeah sorry about that

> > When you talk about a screwed up fade, is it anything like the Halo PC sky issue?
> >
> > From what I’ve seen, the classic mode layer seems to be using HPC’s graphics as its base.
>
> Yup that’s pretty much how it is. For me personally it’s terrible but i can see this not being a problem for some. It feels like you’re no longer closed in by gigantic walls anymore and that’s a huge difference to atmosphere

Can we see a comparison of the two? It’s been a while since I’ve played the original

> Can we see a comparison of the two? It’s been a while since I’ve played the original

Here’s a decent shot of the graphics working correctly.