Golden Triangle no longer exist

> “In typical Halo you have already awesome sandbox of weapon and melee and grenade. We wanted to add these Spartan Abilities in as fourth layer that everyone has, so it’s equal footing.”

Source
Tim Longo referenced the Golden Triangle as three layers of the game. They are not acknowledging the existence of Golden Triangle. Instead they are treating this as “layers” and stating the Spartan Ability is the fourth layer, they added to the game.

So current Halo’s sand box is:
Weapon (first layer)
Melee (second layer)
Grenade (third layer)
Spartan Ability (fourth layer)

It seems like 343 is denying the Golden Triangle. It’s not even a rectangle, but it’s layers. Looks like we cannot get back the Golden Triangle based gameplay. Halo has changed. The Golden Triangle no longer exist in 343’s Halo.

I cannot wait to see the fifth layer 343.

Spartan Charge is ranged melee (official Sword lunge glitch?) Thruster pack’s use is so brief that it isn’t worth arguing over, Ground Pound may actually break this so-called Golden Triangle, and Slide does not prevent the usage of weapons (I haven’t tried meleeing or grenading whilst sliding)

The only thing left is Sprint.

inb4lock

We’ve already gone over, that the public doesn’t know what the golden Triangle really is as defined by bungie. It doesn’t matter that they ruined the golden triangle, as it was really just a nickname for everything in the game, and was oriented around bungie, and bungie’s unbalanced weaponry.

I suddenly want to think of the “Golden Triangle” as a burger. Melee and guns make up the bun while the grenades are like the… uh… meat, I guess? And Spartan Abilities are like sauce that people either want or don’t want.

How many times are we going to have a thread about the “Golden Triangle”?

Especially when Bungie couldn’t follow the Golden Triangle with Reach.

Disingenuous probably isn’t quite the right term for this, but…yeah. These arguments are disingenuous.

The Golden Triangle isn’t a particularly useful concept. “Guns, grenades, melee.” Melee was nigh-useless the first two games. Powerups and Equipment don’t fall under any of those categories. Vehicles could loosely be considered part of the triangle if you replaced the word “guns” with “weapons”, but even still that’s a stretch. What about abilities that don’t fall under that triangle, like Jumping or Vehicle Boarding? Then there’s the simple question of why breaking that triangle is even inherently a bad thing. It (inaccurately) described Halo at the time, but it doesn’t describe all Halo ever can be. Then there’s the fact abilities don’t inherently break that triangle, i.e. is Spartan Charge not simply an extension of “melee”?

It’s more productive to instead describe the concepts we consider fundamental to classic Halo, then explain in detail how new ideas do or don’t break those concepts.

> 2535456165221911;1:
> > “In typical Halo you have already awesome sandbox of weapon and melee and grenade. We wanted to add these Spartan Abilities in as fourth layer that everyone has, so it’s equal footing.”
>
>
> Source
> Tim Longo is talking about the Golden Triangle as three layers and they want to add another layer to it. They are not acknowledging the existence of Golden Triangle, instead they are treating this as “layers” and they are saying Spartan Ability as fourth layer.
>
> So current Halo’s sand box is:
> Weapon (first layer)
> Melee (second layer)
> Grenade (third layer)
> Spartan Ability (fourth layer)
>
> It seems like 343 is denying the Golden Triangle. It’s not even Golden Rectangle, but it’s layers. Seems like we cannot get back the Golden Triangle sadly.
>
> I cannot wait to see the fifth layer 343.

It all just sounds like nonsensical flimflam to me. It’s not triangles or layers of anything, it’s just actions that you can perform in a game. Golden triangle… smh. What next, a platinum cube?

> 2533274792641480;7:
> > 2535456165221911;1:
> > > “In typical Halo you have already awesome sandbox of weapon and melee and grenade. We wanted to add these Spartan Abilities in as fourth layer that everyone has, so it’s equal footing.”
> >
> >
> > Source
> > Tim Longo is talking about the Golden Triangle as three layers and they want to add another layer to it. They are not acknowledging the existence of Golden Triangle, instead they are treating this as “layers” and they are saying Spartan Ability as fourth layer.
> >
> > So current Halo’s sand box is:
> > Weapon (first layer)
> > Melee (second layer)
> > Grenade (third layer)
> > Spartan Ability (fourth layer)
> >
> > It seems like 343 is denying the Golden Triangle. It’s not even Golden Rectangle, but it’s layers. Seems like we cannot get back the Golden Triangle sadly.
> >
> > I cannot wait to see the fifth layer 343.
>
>
> It all just sounds like nonsensical flimflam to me. It’s not triangles or layers of anything, it’s just actions that you can perform in a game. Golden triangle… smh. What next, a platinum cube?

It shall be… the diamond sphere.

> 2535437652903765;8:
> > 2533274792641480;7:
> > > 2535456165221911;1:
> > > > “In typical Halo you have already awesome sandbox of weapon and melee and grenade. We wanted to add these Spartan Abilities in as fourth layer that everyone has, so it’s equal footing.”
> > >
> > >
> > > Source
> > > Tim Longo is talking about the Golden Triangle as three layers and they want to add another layer to it. They are not acknowledging the existence of Golden Triangle, instead they are treating this as “layers” and they are saying Spartan Ability as fourth layer.
> > >
> > > So current Halo’s sand box is:
> > > Weapon (first layer)
> > > Melee (second layer)
> > > Grenade (third layer)
> > > Spartan Ability (fourth layer)
> > >
> > > It seems like 343 is denying the Golden Triangle. It’s not even Golden Rectangle, but it’s layers. Seems like we cannot get back the Golden Triangle sadly.
> > >
> > > I cannot wait to see the fifth layer 343.
> >
> >
> > It all just sounds like nonsensical flimflam to me. It’s not triangles or layers of anything, it’s just actions that you can perform in a game. Golden triangle… smh. What next, a platinum cube?
>
>
> It shall be… the diamond sphere.

What actions will that allow you to perform? Waving both arms in the air, a faceplant and throw shoes at the enemy.

> 2533274792641480;9:
> > 2535437652903765;8:
> > > 2533274792641480;7:
> > > > 2535456165221911;1:
> > > > > “In typical Halo you have already awesome sandbox of weapon and melee and grenade. We wanted to add these Spartan Abilities in as fourth layer that everyone has, so it’s equal footing.”
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Source
> > > > Tim Longo is talking about the Golden Triangle as three layers and they want to add another layer to it. They are not acknowledging the existence of Golden Triangle, instead they are treating this as “layers” and they are saying Spartan Ability as fourth layer.
> > > >
> > > > So current Halo’s sand box is:
> > > > Weapon (first layer)
> > > > Melee (second layer)
> > > > Grenade (third layer)
> > > > Spartan Ability (fourth layer)
> > > >
> > > > It seems like 343 is denying the Golden Triangle. It’s not even Golden Rectangle, but it’s layers. Seems like we cannot get back the Golden Triangle sadly.
> > > >
> > > > I cannot wait to see the fifth layer 343.
> > >
> > >
> > > It all just sounds like nonsensical flimflam to me. It’s not triangles or layers of anything, it’s just actions that you can perform in a game. Golden triangle… smh. What next, a platinum cube?
> >
> >
> > It shall be… the diamond sphere.
>
>
> What actions will that allow you to perform? Waving both arms in the air, a faceplant and throw shoes at the enemy.

You can do handstands, dual wield with your feet, and fly with a pair of angel wings. Wall running and grappling hooks will also be included.

> 2535437652903765;10:
> > 2533274792641480;9:
> > > 2535437652903765;8:
> > > > 2533274792641480;7:
> > > > > 2535456165221911;1:
> > > > > > “In typical Halo you have already awesome sandbox of weapon and melee and grenade. We wanted to add these Spartan Abilities in as fourth layer that everyone has, so it’s equal footing.”
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Source
> > > > > Tim Longo is talking about the Golden Triangle as three layers and they want to add another layer to it. They are not acknowledging the existence of Golden Triangle, instead they are treating this as “layers” and they are saying Spartan Ability as fourth layer.
> > > > >
> > > > > So current Halo’s sand box is:
> > > > > Weapon (first layer)
> > > > > Melee (second layer)
> > > > > Grenade (third layer)
> > > > > Spartan Ability (fourth layer)
> > > > >
> > > > > It seems like 343 is denying the Golden Triangle. It’s not even Golden Rectangle, but it’s layers. Seems like we cannot get back the Golden Triangle sadly.
> > > > >
> > > > > I cannot wait to see the fifth layer 343.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > It all just sounds like nonsensical flimflam to me. It’s not triangles or layers of anything, it’s just actions that you can perform in a game. Golden triangle… smh. What next, a platinum cube?
> > >
> > >
> > > It shall be… the diamond sphere.
> >
> >
> > What actions will that allow you to perform? Waving both arms in the air, a faceplant and throw shoes at the enemy.
>
>
> You can do handstands, dual wield with your feet, and fly with a pair of angel wings. Wall running and grappling hooks will also be included.

The only problem I can see with that is that it breaks the holy hexagon.

So?

> 2535456165221911;1:
> > “In typical Halo you have already awesome sandbox of weapon and melee and grenade. We wanted to add these Spartan Abilities in as fourth layer that everyone has, so it’s equal footing.”
>
>
> Source
> Tim Longo is talking about the Golden Triangle as three layers and they want to add another layer to it. They are not acknowledging the existence of Golden Triangle, instead they are treating this as “layers” and they are saying Spartan Ability as fourth layer.
>
> So current Halo’s sand box is:
> Weapon (first layer)
> Melee (second layer)
> Grenade (third layer)
> Spartan Ability (fourth layer)
>
> It seems like 343 is denying the Golden Triangle. It’s not even Golden Rectangle, but it’s layers. Seems like we cannot get back the Golden Triangle sadly.
>
> I cannot wait to see the fifth layer 343.

343 FAN BOYS INCOMING!!! BRACE FOR IMPACT CAPTAIN!!!

What I don’t get about this is that, I remember Frank O’Connor describing Spartan abilities like vehicle boarding in Halo 2. He said it’s just something everyone can do. The strange part is that vehicle boarding was never part of the Golden Triangle. So why would Tim Longo start saying that Spartan abilities are a new layer to it? Just doesn’t make sense to me. Vehicle boarding didn’t interfere with the Golden Triangle and dual wielding only did as far as not being able to melee or throw grenades.

I think someone needs to explain the concept of the Golden Triangle to 343. It’s a triangle of offensive, combat related, player abilities, not player movement. This is what they don’t seem to understand. You can’t add non-combat mechanics to a system that was made to define how players combat each other.

> 2533274792641480;7:
> > 2535456165221911;1:
> > > “In typical Halo you have already awesome sandbox of weapon and melee and grenade. We wanted to add these Spartan Abilities in as fourth layer that everyone has, so it’s equal footing.”
> >
> >
> > Source
> > Tim Longo is talking about the Golden Triangle as three layers and they want to add another layer to it. They are not acknowledging the existence of Golden Triangle, instead they are treating this as “layers” and they are saying Spartan Ability as fourth layer.
> >
> > So current Halo’s sand box is:
> > Weapon (first layer)
> > Melee (second layer)
> > Grenade (third layer)
> > Spartan Ability (fourth layer)
> >
> > It seems like 343 is denying the Golden Triangle. It’s not even Golden Rectangle, but it’s layers. Seems like we cannot get back the Golden Triangle sadly.
> >
> > I cannot wait to see the fifth layer 343.
>
>
> It all just sounds like nonsensical flimflam to me. It’s not triangles or layers of anything, it’s just actions that you can perform in a game. Golden triangle… smh. What next, a platinum cube?

Halo’s action was built upon usage of weapon, grenade, and melee with a philosophy of nothing shall not prevent player from using these three basic mechanic while playing as infantry. It is one of anti-sprinters’ arguments that sprint should be removed, but I guess this argument is invalid now.

> 2533274814289862;14:
> What I don’t get about this is that, I remember Frank O’Connor describing Spartan abilities like vehicle boarding in Halo 2. He said it’s just something everyone can do. The strange part is that vehicle boarding was never part of the Golden Triangle. So why would Tim Longo start saying that Spartan abilities are a new layer to it? Just doesn’t make sense to me. Vehicle boarding didn’t interfere with the Golden Triangle and dual wielding only did as far as not being able to melee or throw grenades.
>
> I think someone needs to explain the concept of the Golden Triangle to 343. It’s a triangle of offensive, combat related, player abilities, not player movement. This is what they don’t seem to understand. You can’t add non-combat mechanics to a system that was made to define how players combat each other.

Well, vehicle boarding is a part of vehicular combat, which might be the reason why Bungie did not considered it into Golden Triangle. I am sure that 343 knows what Golden Triangle is, but they seem to want to refuse to use this formula.

Just reminded by another thread about this. This is 10 days old thread, will this my comment a revival for this thread and make it locked?

Halo isn’t defined by the golden triangle, as there have been many successful games (halo 2/3) that have broken the triangle. You should listen to Ramirez, he is the king of REQing the golden triangle argument.