Going Gold In 8 Weeks!

Somewhere around 3:50:00 Frankie comfirms Halo 4 is going gold in only 8 more weeks!!! (early September) so what do you all think? Should they take thier time on this and not rush the game or release it into the wild in october?

That seems very early to go gold. Isn’t it usually about a month away that this happens? 8 weeks would be early september. About 2 months from release. Why the rush?

> http://www.twitch.tv/rtxlive2/b/324118670
>
> Somewhere around 3:50:00 Frankie comfirms Halo 4 is going gold in only 8 more weeks!!! (early September) so what do you all think? Should they take thier time on this and not rush the game or release it into the wild in october?

They’ve had 3 years to develop the game. I understand that they have stated the game is ‘near’ finished with all levels being ‘playable’ but not fully polished, but I think Microsoft are playing smart with setting an earlier deadline than late. It gives a bigger soft zone for any unexpected issues and denies the highly unlikely but possible circumstance of an unfinished game aka Halo 2. 343i have likely been given this deadline for a while now.

Yes a game goes gold about a month prior to launch but remember the following guys:

• the feature lock stage was likely hit MONTHS ago, we are now purely in in the polishing stages. And with a team of 300 plus an external team for forge that might account for the early finish

• Halo 4 will be one of the very first Xbox games to be launched directly on the marketplace…for all we know that might require extra logistics or preparations.

That seems fairly average to me. Infact i believe thats around the time reach went gold. All that means is they won’t be adding new things or changing major things. It doesn’t mean the game is ready to sell however. The last month or 2 is dedicated to ZBT or zero bug testing.

Well I think it should go gold in 12 weeks instead of 8 weeks, ya it’s not really much of a big difference but it should give them some time to check out possible glitches in the multiplayer.

Then again I guess the reason why its going gold in 8 weeks is because that they have to ship the games to all gamestops through-out the world for pre orders and also other stores like Wal-Mart who will do a bit of guessing on how much halo 4 games it will need to cover over the demand of it.

-Yoink!- it double post

I find it appropriate. They aren’t rushing it, they are using the time allotted properly.

When the game goes gold, that means that they send the game off to certification to be finalized, go through a checklist of bugs that could break the game (similar to the playtest and certification that XNA games have to go through, but at a larger scale), they need to print discs, box art, etc, they have to also have time to market the final version of the game, allow press/media to have early previews and reviews, etc.

Two months may seem like a lot of time, but in game development, its a very short amount of time.

Plus, this allows them to put more people into working on future content for the game, such as the remainder of Spartan Ops, DLC and anything else they have to finish.

> - Halo 4 will be one of the very first Xbox games to be launched directly on the marketplace…for all we know that might require extra logistics or preparations.

Wait, what?

It’s going to be downloadable day 1?

> > - Halo 4 will be one of the very first Xbox games to be launched directly on the marketplace…for all we know that might require extra logistics or preparations.
>
> Wait, what?
>
> It’s going to be downloadable day 1?

This is news to me too.

Not that it matters to me.

> > - Halo 4 will be one of the very first Xbox games to be launched directly on the marketplace…for all we know that might require extra logistics or preparations.
>
> Wait, what?
>
> It’s going to be downloadable day 1?

it should be no? I mean that’s the whole reason to buy it on the marketplace right now right? I am sure I saw the option to purchase or the other day but I might be wrong.

well they’ve been working on the game for quite some time and by the looks of it they are doing well on time. Just have to polish it up now. Although i wouldn’t be surprised if they came with a patch on day 1.