Getting really tired of this...

Ever since Sept 14th 2010 there’s been something that’s constantly been -Yoink!- me off to the point of no return about Halo: Reach.

At first I was like “Sweet! New Halo game!” then I played the story. Story sucked, then I played the multiplayer. Even worse.

343, if you have any love for any gamer out there, casual or competitive, put some kind of ranking system in Halo 4 that does not suck.
I’ve quit out of three games today. Yes, that’s right. I’m a quitter. Big deal, get over it.

I’ve quit out of these games because of this horribly broke system that Reach uses for a ranking system. I am currently an Eclipse and in about 6k I will be a Nova. That’s the first thing wrong with this damn game. I suck at Halo. I am going to admit that I’m not fantastic at the game, but I can do pretty well sometimes. I cannot get past 30 in Halo 3. I am currently stuck on 27 and I have been for three years.

Meaning that until I improve my game, I cannot progress in the ranks. Within three weeks of playing Halo: Reach I was past General grade 3, or whatever these ranks are, meaning I passed the highest rank Halo 3 had to offer in three weeks.

My main point here is that I quit three games today. I quit because ONCE AGAIN. My Teammates suck. Take a look at this video.

It is not humanly possible for someone with a rank like mine to be this bad at shooting a turret in a warthog. I’m not saying I’m some kind of super MLG god but compared to this guy? There’s seriously no comparison.

Every single time I get paired up with these people it makes me facepalm so -Yoink- hard that my brain literally breaks out of the back of my skull.
I cannot believe that Bungie, BUNGIE, one of the best game developers on the market under Microsoft’s supervision would release such a flawed system.

There’s a reason many people don’t like reach. Most reasons are similar, some different but at the end of the day Halo: Reach is an awful Halo game.

I was blinded by faith that Bungie was going to deliver that I purchased the Legendary Edition. If I could go back and change that you bet your -Yoink- I would. I’d probably rent this game because it really isn’t worth a purchase.
My current reasoning for keeping this trash are:

1. I make machinima with it.

2. I payed £100 for it.

Two reasons? Two -Yoink- reasons for keeping Reach? What is this? I’m serious.
I cannot believe this. I’ve tried so many times to love this game. I’ve tried SO hard to keep getting continuous enjoyment out of it. I’m trying to keep playing until Halo 4 comes out but at this point, if Reach is Halo’s future then why bother. If nothing is going to be changed for Halo 4, why bother parting with my hard earned cash?

343 you are a new developer, and your staff is really nice. You guys are pretty much the only thing keeping my faith in Halo together right now. I seriously hope you can deliver.

And now a personal plea from Teh Spearhead:
Keep Sage Merill away from Halo in future. He is officially the WORST multiplayer developer in history. Don’t believe me? Play Shadowrun. It’s exactly the same as Reach.

TL;DR:
Don’t put Reach’s crappy rank system in Halo 4.
Teammates are people.
Sage Merill is a -Yoink-.

Dear Mods,
I will gracefully accept a ban if you are forced to send one my way. I just had to get this out.
<3

I think 343 learned from many of Bungie’s mistakes, the ranking system being one of them.

Halo was so addictive to the masses because everything revolved around ranked gameplay. In Reach, ranked is merely an afterthought. Not to mention you could prestige over 15 times in CoD, getting an unlock after each of the over 1000 levels you will go through (if not every game), in the time in takes to reach Inheritor in Reach, unlocking nothing for over 75% of the time.

It’d be one thing if Arena at least played a part in the game (ie your top division on your service tag, all records of all seasons in your service record, and at least 5 playlists), but even then the system isn’t very good and I think most agree that a 1-50 is superior with a few tweaks to help with the “boosting” problem.

Edit: I admit that I started skimming about half way through the post, but I’m pretty sure of the got the gist of what you’re saying. If I didn’t, I apologize.

The recruit - inheritor ranking system has been there since halo 2 in the form of Exp, now it just has a name and ranks associated with it. If you want ranked gameplay play arena while flawed it shows skill relatively well.

I agree 100%.

It seems almost every game I get in to, I end up carrying the team. Not being cocky, just being truthful.

The community of Reach, aren’t that great at the game, and it bothers me to the point of rage quitting.

343, you are my last hope, along with Spearhead.
If Halo 4 is anything like Reach, I will lose all faith in the new trilogy to come.

Now to all the people who are narrow minded and thinking, “You’re one person, why should 343i care about your opinion?”

Well sir/madam, I am part of the community, and 343 listens to there community.
Sooner or later, there will be a LOT more people who agree with what Spearhead and I have to say.

P.S.

Please keep Sage Merill away from Halo 4, 5, and 6.

Credit booster much? General grade 3 in three weeks? 21 days? if you got it when the game first game out that would be impossible

and I think Bungie was justified that some people don’t want to have to be good to be a high rank and gave you a chance to get there. if you want something more like halo 3s ranking system go into Arena because there are nothing but try hards there just like halo 3s ranked playlists and it is even harder to get and keep onyx PLUS your rank is based mostly on you unlike halo 3 where you could get some amazing friends to win for you.

Honestly, I don’t think much of this rant is justifiable

> The recruit - inheritor ranking system has been there since halo 2 in the form of Exp

Big difference was that you had to win to even get anything.

Ranking up didn’t require 200 games either.

But we’ve known since the beginning we’ve know that Rank and True Skill were separate entities and that the Arena with its elemental code was now the new ranking system.

Yes you are venting I know, but it is very funny that rank, TS and randoms are being shaken into a martini of rage.

If you understand that your rank doesn’t mean how skilled you are, why are your expectations so high for other people’s ranks?

> > The recruit - inheritor ranking system has been there since halo 2 in the form of Exp
>
> Big difference was that you had to win to even get anything.
>
> Ranking up didn’t require 200 games either.

True but the idea of a ranking system based on how long you play rather then how skillful you are. I’m all dor 0 credits for losing, currently there is no incentive in objective game then to pad stats. Also ranking up taking a long tike is a good idea I’ve played MW3 for 3 in game days and I’m half done with ranking where as reach I have 40 days played and have 13/20 million credits.

You think it matches you on your credit rank? lol.

Now that the pop is back up they could do with tightening up the trueskill matching though for sure.

Also im getting really tired of the Shadowrun meme people keep trotting out. I found out in the update that there is a guy who worked on Daikatana now working on the H4 team. By your logic, that means H4 will be the game that kills 343i and ends multiple careers.

> You think it matches you on your credit rank? lol.
>
> Now that the pop is back up they could do with tightening up the trueskill matching though for sure.
>
> Also im getting really tired of the Shadowrun meme people keep trotting out. I found out in the update that there is a guy who worked on Daikatana now working on the H4 team. By your logic, that means H4 will be the game that kills 343i and ends multiple careers.

Sage was a lead designer in SR and was the Lead Sandbox Designer for Reach, essentially being the person who designed Reach’s sandbox. But regardless, SR was a good game which took a lot of skill and functioned near perfectly. Reach on the other hand, functions completely different. Sure it has similarities such as bloom and abilities, but that is about it.

Those who haven’t played SR will all make poor assumptions about Sage’s correlation to the two, but it seems Sage greatly changed his sandbox ideology after SR, possibly blaming the sandbox for the failure of the game. That would be very unfortunate as the actual reason the game failed was the lack of publicity, lack of campaign, and very poor matchmaking system with no rankings. The gameplay was actually pretty awesome.

> The recruit - inheritor ranking system has been there since halo 2 in the form of Exp, now it just has a name and ranks associated with it. If you want ranked gameplay play arena while flawed it shows skill relatively well.

Cmon man, really? Just because the pictures of the rank are the same doesn’t mean it’s anything like the H2 system. And exp system =/= Cr System.

And there is 1 ranked playlist, with a tiny population, poorly designed ranking system, less than optimal settings, and no relevance to the rest of the game. Since H3 ,“ranked” gameplay has gone from the primary focus to an afterthought.

Reach is a marathon not a sprint its meant to show how dedicated you are to it that’s why the have commendations and arena cause lets face it there was a WIDE skill gap in halo 3 with the 1-50 and I don’t mean normal skill gap i mean there are good 50s okay 50s and amazing 50s all in the same basket btw no I’m not a 50 I got live very late and could not play much halo 3 but I was part of bungie.net long enough to know all this plus i had friends who were 50s.

anyways how is that fair to the kid who spends so much time on reach who just is not a good player some people just are not highly skilled. You act like people who are not MLG or onix in arena don’t deserve high ranks but some of them do if they put enough dedication and time into halo they deserve a high rank.

> Reach is a marathon not a sprint

Because everyone loves a good marathon, right?

> You act like people who are not MLG or onix in arena don’t deserve high ranks but some of them do if they put enough dedication and time into halo they deserve a high rank.

That’s what gold bars are for.

I know what you mean. I have had a few games recently where my team couldn’t seem to do anything.
Team Slayer 1
Team Slayer 2
Arena 1
Team Slayer 3
Team Slayer 4

The matchmaking system rarely seems to match people up properly.

Reach still uses trueskill and I have no problem with it. Also for a game you hate so much you sure play it a lot. Masochism???

> If you want ranked gameplay play arena while flawed it shows skill relatively well.

AH HAHA HAHAHAH

> > If you want ranked gameplay play arena while flawed it shows skill relatively well.
>
> AH HAHA HAHAHAH

Did I miss something?