Getting games alone vs. in a party

So can we all agree that the patch did indeed help finding games quicker, but only if you are joining alone. If you are in a party, I am seeing mixed results (same terribly long wait times for some, finding much quicker for others). I guess it’s a step in the right direction, but I feel like it should be fixed for all by now.

I personally don’t see the point in joining team based playlist by myself, it’s very frustrating playing on a team with people I don’t know, so this patch does nothing for me, but like I said, step in the right direction maybe? If I want to go in alone, I would play FFA which no longer exists, so then there’s that.

Not to mention that if you DO get a game with a party of friends, you have about a 50 percent chance the party will be split up and about a 75 percent chance the teams will be uneven. Oh and it’s a guarantee that when the game ends, everyone has to reboot the game.

Still unacceptable to me, but this is seems like what’s happening from sifting through all the threads.

> 2715563346757206;1:
> So can we all agree that the patch did indeed help finding games quicker, but only if you are joining alone. If you are in a party, I am seeing mixed results (same terribly long wait times for some, finding much quicker for others). I guess it’s a step in the right direction, but I feel like it should be fixed for all by now.
>
> I personally don’t see the point in joining team based playlist by myself, it’s very frustrating playing on a team with people I don’t know, so this patch does nothing for me, but like I said, step in the right direction maybe? If I want to go in alone, I would play FFA which no longer exists, so then there’s that.
>
> Not to mention that if you DO get a game with a party of friends, you have about a 50 percent chance the party will be split up and about a 75 percent chance the teams will be uneven. Oh and it’s a guarantee that when the game ends, everyone has to reboot the game.
>
> Still unacceptable to me, but this is seems like what’s happening from sifting through all the threads.

agreed. worst part about the game right now. this game has limited longevity to me without a functioning party system. The best part about Halo is the competitive nature. Its impossible to be very competitive if you can’t play with your team, its annoying.

Yes. Search times have been drastically reduced when searching alone.

However, what fun is it to play Halo online alone. This game at its core is about map control and team work. Pretty hard to do that when you match with randoms and guests.

It’s a step in the right direction though.

Yeah It seems to work fine alone. I tried doing ranked with a couple friends and the teams were either uneven or they were placed on the other team. Why would I want my trusted teammates on the other team?? Why would I want some random derp on my team. Why is ranked 5v5 or better yet, 5v4… 10 players on warlock is too many… same with ascension.

well I’m glad we can all agree on that, it IS getting better, just slowly. I agree that Halo is not fun to go into playlist alone, unless you want to get crushed by the other team. I’m more into the competitive side, not TOO competitive, I just hate losing and doing bad, so yes this game is still just wasted space until those issues get worked out, for me anyways.

Patch hasn’t helped me at all sadly

2 laggy as all hell games which were unplayable in 2 hours of searching

We just have to be patient, and they have to do overtime. Meet in the middle.

> 2533274832130936;6:
> Patch hasn’t helped me at all sadly
>
> 2 laggy as all hell games which were unplayable in 2 hours of searching

Alone or with a party?

Patch made it worse.

> 2715563346757206;1:
> So can we all agree that the patch did indeed help finding games quicker, but only if you are joining alone.

I disagree. I get games no quicker searching alone than I did pre-patch. And if I do get a game (I got one post-patch yesterday), it’s P2P - not dedicated servers.

We definitely do not all agree.

> 2533274971476153;10:
> > 2715563346757206;1:
> > So can we all agree that the patch did indeed help finding games quicker, but only if you are joining alone.
>
>
> I disagree. I get games no quicker searching alone than I did pre-patch. And if I do get a game (I got one post-patch yesterday), it’s P2P - not dedicated servers.
>
> We definitely do not all agree.

Okay, that’s fair. Didn’t realize it was still terrible for some. Well, it’s still terrible for those who ARE finding games quicker because we get split up or there for 5v5s being playing on Warlord.

Agreed, Patch made it better when searching alone. Haven’t tried with friends yet.

What I’m having a very difficult time wrapping my head around (maybe due to ignorance or inexperience in the inner workings of the game networking)
But what is so hard about getting this game to work? I know when I say this we are talking about last-gen titles and bungie but really?! Halo 3 launch was great, halo: Reach launch was great or what I can remember of it it was (even though the game blew big time) and Halo 4’s had alot of issues the first night but then it was fine for me atleast.

wtf’s going on with this one.

> 2533274903300029;12:
> Agreed, Patch made it better when searching alone. Haven’t tried with friends yet.
>
> What I’m having a very difficult time wrapping my head around (maybe due to ignorance or inexperience in the inner workings of the game networking)
> But what is so hard about getting this game to work? I know when I say this we are talking about last-gen titles and bungie but really?! Halo 3 launch was great, halo: Reach launch was great or what I can remember of it it was (even though the game blew big time) and Halo 4’s had alot of issues the first night but then it was fine for me atleast.
>
> wtf’s going on with this one.

I do have an IT background, though I am only a desktop technician, someone with a networking background could have a bit more to add, but my guess is that since halo 2, bungie/343i/halo developers have known nothing but P2P gaming. They are trying to catch up with the other major FPS titles and go dedicated servers and they couldn’t test it pre launch and didn’t do a beta so they are having server issues. Whether it be too much load on the servers, not setup to handle so many clients, whatever it is, I just don’t think they were ready or had the man power to support it.

> 2715563346757206;13:
> > 2533274903300029;12:
> > Agreed, Patch made it better when searching alone. Haven’t tried with friends yet.
> >
> > What I’m having a very difficult time wrapping my head around (maybe due to ignorance or inexperience in the inner workings of the game networking)
> > But what is so hard about getting this game to work? I know when I say this we are talking about last-gen titles and bungie but really?! Halo 3 launch was great, halo: Reach launch was great or what I can remember of it it was (even though the game blew big time) and Halo 4’s had alot of issues the first night but then it was fine for me atleast.
> >
> > wtf’s going on with this one.
>
>
> I do have an IT background, though I am only a desktop technician, someone with a networking background could have a bit more to add, but my guess is that since halo 2, bungie/343i/halo developers have known nothing but P2P gaming. They are trying to catch up with the other major FPS titles and go dedicated servers and they couldn’t test it pre launch and didn’t do a beta so they are having server issues. Whether it be too much load on the servers, not setup to handle so many clients, whatever it is, I just don’t think they were ready or had the man power to support it.

Going with what you just said, and assuming you do have a IT background (not trying to call you a liar, sorry)

Are these issue’s fixable in a conceivable amount of time (next day or so) to get this game up and running at atleast 80%

> 2533274903300029;14:
> > 2715563346757206;13:
> > > 2533274903300029;12:
> > > Agreed, Patch made it better when searching alone. Haven’t tried with friends yet.
> > >
> > > What I’m having a very difficult time wrapping my head around (maybe due to ignorance or inexperience in the inner workings of the game networking)
> > > But what is so hard about getting this game to work? I know when I say this we are talking about last-gen titles and bungie but really?! Halo 3 launch was great, halo: Reach launch was great or what I can remember of it it was (even though the game blew big time) and Halo 4’s had alot of issues the first night but then it was fine for me atleast.
> > >
> > > wtf’s going on with this one.
> >
> >
> >
> > I do have an IT background, though I am only a desktop technician, someone with a networking background could have a bit more to add, but my guess is that since halo 2, bungie/343i/halo developers have known nothing but P2P gaming. They are trying to catch up with the other major FPS titles and go dedicated servers and they couldn’t test it pre launch and didn’t do a beta so they are having server issues. Whether it be too much load on the servers, not setup to handle so many clients, whatever it is, I just don’t think they were ready or had the man power to support it.
>
>
> Going with what you just said, and assuming you do have a IT background (not trying to call you a liar, sorry)
>
> Are these issue’s fixable in a conceivable amount of time (next day or so) to get this game up and running at atleast 80%

I don’t know the answer to that question. Based off working side by side with systems and network engineers on a daily basis, I’m sure that isn’t the issue. To be honest, most outages or issues come from up top, aka management. A lot of times, the people getting their hands dirty have their hands tied and are just being told what to do. From being with small and now larger companies, this is always the case.

Usually, things like this are only prevented with a change in who is driving the project, aka project managers or leads. I think that’s who’s to blame, but that’s just me.

> 2715563346757206;15:
> > 2533274903300029;14:
> > > 2715563346757206;13:
> > > > 2533274903300029;12:
> > > > Agreed, Patch made it better when searching alone. Haven’t tried with friends yet.
> > > >
> > > > What I’m having a very difficult time wrapping my head around (maybe due to ignorance or inexperience in the inner workings of the game networking)
> > > > But what is so hard about getting this game to work? I know when I say this we are talking about last-gen titles and bungie but really?! Halo 3 launch was great, halo: Reach launch was great or what I can remember of it it was (even though the game blew big time) and Halo 4’s had alot of issues the first night but then it was fine for me atleast.
> > > >
> > > > wtf’s going on with this one.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > I do have an IT background, though I am only a desktop technician, someone with a networking background could have a bit more to add, but my guess is that since halo 2, bungie/343i/halo developers have known nothing but P2P gaming. They are trying to catch up with the other major FPS titles and go dedicated servers and they couldn’t test it pre launch and didn’t do a beta so they are having server issues. Whether it be too much load on the servers, not setup to handle so many clients, whatever it is, I just don’t think they were ready or had the man power to support it.
> >
> >
> >
> > Going with what you just said, and assuming you do have a IT background (not trying to call you a liar, sorry)
> >
> > Are these issue’s fixable in a conceivable amount of time (next day or so) to get this game up and running at atleast 80%
>
>
> I don’t know the answer to that question. Based off working side by side with systems and network engineers on a daily basis, I’m sure that isn’t the issue. To be honest, most outages or issues come from up top, aka management. A lot of times, the people getting their hands dirty have their hands tied and are just being told what to do. From being with small and now larger companies, this is always the case.
>
> Usually, things like this are only prevented with a change in who is driving the project, aka project managers or leads. I think that’s who’s to blame, but that’s just me.

Thank you for your input, I know what you mean by having your hands tied the company I work for is alot like that as well (it sucks)

sad thing is, if what you just said accounts for some of the issues plaguing the game right now then some of these issues may never get fixed :frowning: or atleast not in a timely manner.

> 2701489597929026;4:
> Yeah It seems to work fine alone. I tried doing ranked with a couple friends and the teams were either uneven or they were placed on the other team. Why would I want my trusted teammates on the other team?? Why would I want some random derp on my team. Why is ranked 5v5 or better yet, 5v4… 10 players on warlock is too many… same with ascension.

ha! I had 7v7 on lockdown last night!

team slayer BTW.

When I get the chance of joining a game with my friend we are typically on opposite teams… but in my case search times are quicker if you are going in alone.

> 2533274816889206;18:
> When I get the chance of joining a game with my friend we are typically on opposite teams… but in my case search times are quicker if you are going in alone.

Even in ranked I see this happening… Unacceptable.