Getting banned for breaking street date?

This pic has been floating around as pirates have been banned. I am totally for pirates getting banned who illegally get the game and play online.

I am worried people with legitimate copies of the game will get banned.

Companies and stores break street date, accidentally and on purpose, but the consumer should not be punished for it. I am worried people will get banned just for buying the game at a retailer before the release date.

Are only pirates being targeted?

Are people going to get banned for having early copies?

I think 343 would only crack down on people who got the game illegally

> I think 343 would only crack down on people who got the game illegally

I have heard the way people are getting banned is the age stamps on acheivements.

The game is gold, there could be many legitimate copies in people’s hands.

> > I think 343 would only crack down on people who got the game illegally
>
> I have heard the way people are getting banned is the age stamps on acheivements.
>
> The game is gold, there could be many legitimate copies in people’s hands.

nvever really thought of that, but that would make since.

>
> I have heard the way people are getting banned is the age stamps on acheivements.
>

If they haven’t been distributed yet, highly unlikely.
If you have a copy of Halo4 right now then you’ve achieved it illegally, it’s that easy to understand.
Clicking on “I agree” before reading a ToS agreement is not the fault of anyone but the reluctant reader.

> > > I think 343 would only crack down on people who got the game illegally
> >
> > I have heard the way people are getting banned is the age stamps on acheivements.
> >
> > The game is gold, there could be many legitimate copies in people’s hands.
>
> If they haven’t been distributed yet, highly unlikely.
> If you have a copy of Halo4 right now then you’ve achieved it illegally, it’s that easy to understand.
> Clicking on “I agree” before reading a ToS agreement is not the fault of anyone but the reluctant reader.

Soon they will be in stores, if a store breaks street date, why should the consumer suffer?

If you play online with a modded Xbox that can play illegally downloaded games, the system will detect you and you will be banned. If you put a legit copy of Halo 4 in your Xbox and play online, you will not be banned. So:

• *Little Jimmy who is dumb enough to play his burned copy of Halo 4 online will get banned.

• *Little Finny who is smart enough not to connect to Xbox live with his burned copy will not get banned.

• *Little Timmy who purchased a legit copy early from 7/11 will not get banned, regardles if he knew it was before street date or not.

Pretty much, modded Xboxes are denied online access. Hope that clarifies things =)

They only ban xboxs that they detect have a modification that allows them to play backup games.

Isn’t there a way to distinguish between legal copies and illegal ones?

> Isn’t there a way to distinguish between legal copies and illegal ones?

it depends on how they detect it, they could just ban everyone who plays early like Epic did with GOW3.

>
>

Well in that case, I should be permabanned for getting the achievements for H:CEA early…

And I think I may have some ODST achievements early too. Huh.

> > > > I think 343 would only crack down on people who got the game illegally
> > >
> > > I have heard the way people are getting banned is the age stamps on acheivements.
> > >
> > > The game is gold, there could be many legitimate copies in people’s hands.
> >
> > If they haven’t been distributed yet, highly unlikely.
> > If you have a copy of Halo4 right now then you’ve achieved it illegally, it’s that easy to understand.
> > Clicking on “I agree” before reading a ToS agreement is not the fault of anyone but the reluctant reader.
>
> Soon they will be in stores, if a store breaks street date, why should the consumer suffer?

That is then, this is now. At the moment the copies have not been distributed, it’s easy to tell if you have an illegal copy of Halo4.
If you have a copy of Halo4 right now, it’s been illegally obtained.

I’ve played legitimate copies of games before street date, but that’s been limited to a day or two before release date. One whole month in advance is fairly obvious as no stores have shipments of the game right now

> I’ve played legitimate copies of games before street date, but that’s been limited to a day or two before release date. One whole month in advance is fairly obvious as no stores have shipments of the game right now

I think in 2 weeks we will see legit copies break street date. They are normally in larger stores 3 weeks to a little over a month in inventory.

They track disk shipments. If disks have not shipped to stores (and they haven’t), and someone is playing the game, they have illegitimately acquired a prerelease copy.

No, paying $60 to the guy in the alley does not count as a legitimate purchase.

Come roughly 5 days before release, they wont care, as discs are usually in some stores by then. But a month before release? No, those are straight leaks from the manufacturer.

> > I’ve played legitimate copies of games before street date, but that’s been limited to a day or two before release date. One whole month in advance is fairly obvious as no stores have shipments of the game right now
>
> I think in 2 weeks we will see legit copies break street date. They are normally in larger stores 3 weeks to a little over a month in inventory.

This is incorrect. I have worked at Walmart and GameStop for years. Large stores dont usually see shipments until within a week of release. Usually district headquarters (usually one store for every like 30 stores) get the game about a week early, and then shipments go out from that central hub to the others.

No store has a game for a MONTH before release. Think of it from a business standpoint. What sense would it make to take up all that room in your store for a month before you’re even allowed to sell it? It doesn’t make any sense at all.