Gears 3 multiplayer weapon swap. Why not Halo?

I’ve been asking for developers to add in an option to swap weapons in Halo for years. For instance, I need to give my friend the sniper and there is no gun near to “drop” it on. How crappy is it that I have to find a gun to pickup in order to drop my weapon? There should be an option like, push up on d-pad to offer exchange or drop weapon. A button like that isn’t going to interfere with anything.

Gears of War 3 is doing this in multiplayer now. Very easy to implement and should have been in Halo from the beginning (like sprint). Check out this video at 2:19.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxBpGowjZf4

Won’t work. People will just spam the “D-pad” filling up the other player’s hud and once that doesn’t work, they’ll just betray.

How exactly do you know it would be “easy” to implement?

> I’ve been asking for developers to add in an option to swap weapons in Halo for years. For instance, I need to give my friend the sniper and there is no gun near to “drop” it on. How crappy is it that I have to find a gun to pickup in order to drop my weapon? There should be an option like, push up on d-pad to offer exchange or drop weapon. A button like that isn’t going to interfere with anything.
>
> Gears of War 3 is doing this in multiplayer now. Very easy to implement and should have been in Halo from the beginning (like sprint). Check out this video at 2:19.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxBpGowjZf4

i would like this idea

It would be good but there needs to be limitations, ie a player should only be able to request a swap for one gun once to prevent spamming or maybe only swap between people in your party.

Keep it to weapon dropping. A lot simpler to implement without having to worry about people spamming you for a weapon trade.

Push Up on the D-pad to drop weapon, only works if you have 2 weapons, unless 343 is interested in having the option to run around weaponless for some reason, Machina maybe.

> Won’t work. People will just spam the “D-pad” filling up the other player’s hud and once that doesn’t work, they’ll just betray.

You speak the truth.

Sprint should never have been in Halo. It promotes rushing and lets kids run away when they’re one shot. But weapon swaps would be nice, but it won’t happen and probably wouldn’t work well.

> Keep it to weapon dropping. A lot simpler to implement without having to worry about people spamming you for a weapon trade.
>
> Push Up on the D-pad to drop weapon, only works if you have 2 weapons, unless 343 is interested in having the option to run around weaponless for some reason, Machina maybe.

Best idea so far, but others could steal the weapons then. It would be good for use in Machinima too, and if you drop both your weapons you are unarmed, and can only melee :slight_smile:

Yes, I’m game for this. No more “Hey, get your -Yoink- over here so we can swap using this worthless weapon on the ground!” :slight_smile:

> How exactly do you know it would be “easy” to implement?

Because the game already has a drop weapon feature when you are swapping for weapons. It really wouldn’t be that hard to add. Ecspecially to say… Halo 4. It’s besides the point of whether it’s easy or not. It would be a really useful feature. Teams would start having weapon runners more often and whatnot.

You can also make health packs pickup items. Left on the D-pad to pick up… Left again to use it (But if you are carrying them and get shot you can’t use them only giveable from their on)… right to give to team mate. They can also be set to auto-use and weapons could be set to “No Drop”.

Achievements:
20G What a nice guy!: Give the Rockets up to 10 different people.
15G Good Pickinz: Swap the sniper to a team mate that then goes on a Sniper Spree.
10G You need a weapon?: Supply a team mate with a weapon when the team mate has no ammo.
20G Spare Change: Give 10,000 rounds of ammo.
5G MEDIC!: Give a health pack when a player has 2 or less bars of health.

It could work for doubles, but I don’t think it’ll be really used much for bigger mp matches.

> Won’t work. People will just spam the “D-pad” filling up the other player’s hud and once that doesn’t work, they’ll just betray.

I don’t see how any Halo player would think this is not a good idea. If you have ever been hunting for a weapon on the ground just to give up a weapon you already know what I am talking about. I’m really not asking to be able to “drop” your weapon exactly, just have the ability to swap with a friend. Dropping weapons might lead to a problem with people hording them in one area which is not good.

It wouldn’t have to take up your entire HUD obviously. It would be a simple player request, like maybe even a partner gun swap light would glow on your weapon icon. It would obviously have to be accepted by the player before the swap would occur. Pretty much the exact thing Epic has done with Gears, only a bit more simple.

Also, it would add a level of “realism” to the game as well. Look, we all know that super soldiers running around killing each other in space is not realistic, but if they were real you would think they would be smart enough to trade guns with each other.

This is an awesome idea.

It’s already in campaign, so it can’t be that hard to do in multiplayer. Just make it where both players have to face each other and hold X when it says “Hold X to swap weapons with teammate.”

> Sprint should never have been in Halo. It promotes rushing and lets kids run away when they’re one shot. But weapon swaps would be nice, but it won’t happen and probably wouldn’t work well.

Agreed. also in order to make sprint a viable option they had to slow down normal movement which removed the ability to strafe, which sucks!

> > Won’t work. People will just spam the “D-pad” filling up the other player’s hud and once that doesn’t work, they’ll just betray.
>
> I don’t see how any Halo player would think this is not a good idea. If you have ever been hunting for a weapon on the ground just to give up a weapon you already know what I am talking about. I’m really not asking to be able to “drop” your weapon exactly, just have the ability to swap with a friend. Dropping weapons might lead to a problem with people hording them in one area which is not good.
>
> It wouldn’t have to take up your entire HUD obviously. It would be a simple player request, like maybe even a partner gun swap light would glow on your weapon icon. It would obviously have to be accepted by the player before the swap would occur. Pretty much the exact thing Epic has done with Gears, only a bit more simple.
>
> Also, it would add a level of “realism” to the game as well. Look, we all know that super soldiers running around killing each other in space is not realistic, but if they were real you would think they would be smart enough to trade guns with each other.

It is a good idea, obviously. But I imagine it wouldn’t work in online games (matchmaking). It would be another excuse as to why one will pester the other by blocking their field of view when sniping, or taking their shields down…etc.
What happens when the requested refuses to give up their Rocket? Do the same thing as I mentioned above? Y U NO GIV ME SNIPA??@
It would be really great for Machinima but that could easily be recreated in Halo: Reach by filming different angles.

My idea is that 343i should experiment with this and see the result for ourselves.

Hold Y to drop weapon. It’s always been needed, especially in things like doubles.

No thanks, this is not Halo if this happens.

> No thanks, this is not Halo if this happens.

Oh my god WHAT?! Of course it’s Halo even though you impliment a new future that doesn’t change much. So you’re saying because of things like assasination animations it’s not Halo? Did you say when you were able to see your feet in Halo 2/3 that it was not Halo?

> Keep it to weapon dropping. A lot simpler to implement without having to worry about people spamming you for a weapon trade.
>
> Push Up on the D-pad to drop weapon, only works if you have 2 weapons, unless 343 is interested in having the option to run around weaponless for some reason, Machina maybe.

I like this idea.