Gaming with your Health...

Where do you stand?

Its hard not to see that people, ranging from young children of 5 - 6 as far as adults in their 30s and 40s, are avid gamers. Today’s modern society cornerstones platform gaming as a unique and acceptable form of recreation and entertainment. However, there are some interesting things to take note of. Even among ourselves…

Its obvious that doing something for a prolonged amount of time can be hazardous to your health. As the old saying goes, “everything in moderation”. So how does that relate to gaming? Well, think about it. Sitting in front of your TV, computer, even your phone can have adverse effects on both your eyes and possibly your mental state. Not only that, but you’re most likely in a fixed position, sitting down and commonly have an array of snacks at your side (for convenience). Studies indicate that sitting in one spot for a prolonged amount of time may increase your chances of contracting diabetes, colon cancer, and even heart problems [reference]. Think about yourself for a moment. How many of you sit at a computer screen browsing forums and the like? How many of those sit with their legs crossed over in some way? See what I’m getting at…Cutting off circulation of the blood. To balance this lifestyle, we need to look at the facts.

1.) You shouldn’t spend countless hours behind your TV/computer. Break it down into structured segments of an hour or so at a time.
2.) Break these segments throughout the day and fill the gaps with about an hour of brisk exercise. Be smart, keep yourself healthy :slight_smile:

Major companies now, however, are realising that there needs to be a level of exercise involved with game time. Nintendo were the first to roll the ball with the Wii. Not only are these devices entertaining but unbeknownst to the user, they are moving vital parts of the body and allow for proper circulation of the blood. Now Microsoft has its Kinect which, in some games, has the user intensely moving about the place and causing them to incorporate various benefiting exercises. A pro-active process!

Here’s something else you mightn’t have known, but did you know that through some studies it has been suggested that Video Gaming actually has beneficial effects on your mental abilities?? This [article] has some interesting facts about how gaming can actually increase your mental awareness, reduce lazy-eye, and even be considered a treatment for Parkinsons. It even goes on to say that some surgeons who play games, actually make fewer mistakes in the operating room…eerie :stuck_out_tongue:

So where do you stand? Do you have a balanced lifestyle? Do you work your body enough to balance the negative impact of sitting down for a long time? Or has this been an eye opener to you in that you now know that perhaps you’re neglecting your own health.

Be smart!
Be sensible!
Be healthy!

That’s why I go on walks, jogs, push-ups, sit-ups. I stay pretty much in one position all day leaning over my Wacom.

As for reactions, my reaction time should be good since I’ve been gaming for about 25 years (Oh, Commodore. I miss you sometimes.)

One thing I’ve noticed with being in one spot for so long and focused on what is at hand, I forget to eat. Great weight loss diet, horrible for your health.

But this is another reason why a Kinect would benefit me.

I have a treadmill that I use when playing games.

In all honesty, I don’t believe a word of any of what a lot of so called “health” experts claim. They’re just people who want to be everyone’s stern mom because they believe they have some self centered right to be.

Heck, if half of what these nannies said was true I’d be a 400 pound diabetic and I’m not. I’m 26 years old, in perfect health, and all I do is watch movies and play video games for recreation. I’m 5’9", I weigh 135 pounds. I eat plenty, a lot of which is probably bad for me (but I eat good things too, it’s at about half and half right now). I’m constantly caffinated…

I don’t know what else to say. I think I’m living proof most health experts are full of it. I never got the freshman 15 when I went to college, in fact I outright told my sophmore health teacher (in front of the whole auditorium of students) it was a myth. She just did a double take. (Don’t worry about it she was a nice lady we got along great).

Good info, People were not built to sit down for hours at a time… =)

> Good info, People were not built to sit down for hours at a time… =)

Then answer me this! WHY DO WE HAVE BUILT IN SEAT CUSHIONS!!! lol