Gaming Headsets Useless In Halo 4?

I own a Turtle Beach headset, and it makes a huge difference in enhancing sounds in an FPS game. Things like hearing people crouch walk, switch weapons, pinpointing locations, etc.

But with the sounds of Halo 4 being SO loud, I’m beginning to wonder if it’ll be even necessary. Just watching the videos, you can hear little things, like when someone tosses a grenade or switches weapons, not to mention how much they’ve increased the footstep sounds.

And I’ve also hear music being played in the background at some time? That will also throw off the distinct sounds of gameplay mid game.

It just seems like as soon as you touch the volume on your monitor/television, all these sounds will be clear enough that I’m worried you won’t gain an advantage by wearing a gamer’s headset.

> I own a Turtle Beach headset, and it makes a huge difference in enhancing sounds in an FPS game. Things like hearing people crouch walk, switch weapons, pinpointing locations, etc.
>
> But with the sounds of Halo 4 being SO loud, I’m beginning to wonder if it’ll be even necessary. Just watching the videos, you can hear little things, like when someone tosses a grenade or switches weapons, not to mention how much they’ve increased the footstep sounds.
>
> And I’ve also hear music being played in the background at some time? That will also throw off the distinct sounds of gameplay mid game.
>
> It just seems like as soon as you touch the volume on your monitor/television, all these sounds will be clear enough that I’m worried you won’t gain an advantage by wearing a gamer’s headset.

Gaming headsets aren’t only meant for just soundwhoring, you’ll also cause less disturbance to the ones around you and the experience is more immersive with a headset.

Gaming headsets are primarily used for sound -Yoink!-, That’s the main reason of them. I agree 100% with the author of this post because in halo 4 all I heard during the gameplay was people switching weapons and people advancing through-out the map.

tl;dr

They should minimize the sound of foot-steps atleast in ranked
play-lists.

It’s what your not hearing that matters.

Every popular fps makes a game with the headsets in mind. You can tell. Halo 4 seems not to be doing this.

My home theatre system does fine at enhancing the sounds during gameplay. I’m fine with it. I didn’t particularly notice much of a difference of the sounds in Halo 4 myself.

Halo taught me the ability to slightly wiggle my ears so as to discern exactly where the sound is coming from, regardless if it’s coming from a 5.1 sound system, more, or just a stereo.

I’d be disappointed if the sound gets muddied out, like what they did with Call of Duty Black Ops. Ew. Of course when I say “ew” I’m talking about the sound, I like playing a wide range of FPS’s that include Battlefield and yes, CoD. inb4 opinions

Sounds like weapon reloading and grenades being tossed are definitely sounds you want to hear as well. I mean think about it, someone could be standing on the other side of a wall as you, not moving, but you hear him reload his weapon. You now know someone is there and can go around that wall more prepared for a fight, rather than being caught off guard.

Sounds shouldn’t be solely designed around people using headsets as well. Nobody should be gimped because they would rather use a nice set of speakers rather then a headset. However having a quality pair of headsets will always augment any sounds in a game, and will almost always give you an upper hand audio wise. I’m speaking as someone who used quality speakers for a very long time and just recently switched over to using a gaming headset, and a gaming headset lets you hear all those important little noises in the midst of a fire fight better than speakers. So even if Halo 4 is “louder” than most other shooters, a gaming headset will still be a benefit.

> Halo taught me the ability to slightly wiggle my ears so as to discern exactly where the sound is coming from, regardless if it’s coming from a 5.1 sound system, more, or just a stereo.
>
> I’d be disappointed if the sound gets muddied out, like what they did with Call of Duty Black Ops. Ew. Of course when I say “ew” I’m talking about the sound, I like playing a wide range of FPS’s that include Battlefield and yes, CoD. inb4 opinions

So you’re half cat?

> I own a Turtle Beach headset, and it makes a huge difference in enhancing sounds in an FPS game. Things like hearing people crouch walk, switch weapons, pinpointing locations, etc.
>
> But with the sounds of Halo 4 being SO loud, I’m beginning to wonder if it’ll be even necessary. Just watching the videos, you can hear little things, like when someone tosses a grenade or switches weapons, not to mention how much they’ve increased the footstep sounds.
>
> And I’ve also hear music being played in the background at some time? That will also throw off the distinct sounds of gameplay mid game.
>
> It just seems like as soon as you touch the volume on your monitor/television, all these sounds will be clear enough that I’m worried you won’t gain an advantage by wearing a gamer’s headset.

If 343i is smart, they’ll have sound settings like most other games, that let you adjust the volume of each bit of sound, like most PC games have, and some Xbox games have.

Also, Gaming headsets are for three uses, soundwhoring, being able to play your game quietly with out bothering others, and having kick -Yoink- headphones!

It will be fine, quit worrying.

I believe that audio balancing is one of the last things developers tweak before shipping the final product. As someone stated earlier: every newly developed FPS is designed to give a superior HD audio experience to immerse the player into the game as much as possible. Believe, they bare in mind that huge portion of the FPS community now uses a gaming headset.

> It will be fine, quit worrying.
>
> I believe that audio balancing is one of the last things developers tweak before shipping the final product. As someone stated earlier: every newly developed FPS is designed to give a superior HD audio experience to immerse the player into the game as much as possible. Believe, they bare in mind that huge portion of the FPS community now uses a gaming headset.

It’s not just the current sounds that concern me, it’s the fact that 343i is SO proud of the way it is now. I don’t look for them to be buffed much. And in my opinion, they need to be, greatly.

> So you’re half cat?

No, but I am a furry so I might as well be one ;D

Joking, I’m joking. Yeah it’s kinda like a party trick now. Hey Maj! Wiggle your ears! ear wiggle OOOOH MY GOD THAT’S AMAZING.

> > I own a Turtle Beach headset, and it makes a huge difference in enhancing sounds in an FPS game. Things like hearing people crouch walk, switch weapons, pinpointing locations, etc.
> >
> > But with the sounds of Halo 4 being SO loud, I’m beginning to wonder if it’ll be even necessary. Just watching the videos, you can hear little things, like when someone tosses a grenade or switches weapons, not to mention how much they’ve increased the footstep sounds.
> >
> > And I’ve also hear music being played in the background at some time? That will also throw off the distinct sounds of gameplay mid game.
> >
> > It just seems like as soon as you touch the volume on your monitor/television, all these sounds will be clear enough that I’m worried you won’t gain an advantage by wearing a gamer’s headset.
>
> Gaming headsets aren’t only meant for just soundwhoring, you’ll also cause less disturbance to the ones around you and the experience is more immersive with a headset.

You’re hired

Turtle Beach headsets are already a waste of money. They always quit working after a week.

> Turtle Beach headsets are already a waste of money. They always quit working after a week.

I think you should stop buying fakes then, because mine have lasted me almost 2 years.

On the other hand, I have to agree with the OP. I use turtle beaches in Halo for hearing when somebody is sprinting, going through a lift, or shooting behind me.

I admit they aren’t that useful in Halo as other FPS, but it still helps me to have the volume on more than not. I do have a 5.1 surround sound system too and I use that for the same thing as my turtle beaches though, so I do hope I can distinguish sprinting or people going up gravity lifts.

> Turtle Beach headsets are already a waste of money. They always quit working after a week.

A week? that’s very unfortunate for you. I recently got my X12s, and it’s been a week + so…

Kinda off topic but… What TB’s do you use? I want to get some soon, and want a really good set.Any Recommendations?

OT: I agree to a point. Some sounds should only be heard through headsets, others everyone should here.

> > Turtle Beach headsets are already a waste of money. They always quit working after a week.
>
> I think you should stop buying fakes then, because mine have lasted me almost 2 years.
>
> On the other hand, I have to agree with the OP. I use turtle beaches in Halo for hearing when somebody is sprinting, going through a lift, or shooting behind me.
>
> I admit they aren’t that useful in Halo as other FPS, but it still helps me to have the volume on more than not. I do have a 5.1 surround sound system too and I use that for the same thing as my turtle beaches though, so I do hope I can distinguish sprinting or people going up gravity lifts.

I bought them here.

I don’t know whether I should buy a new headset seeing as my original xbox 460 headset is on its last legs, but I mainly use the TV speakers for playing video games anyway.