GAMETYPESGAMETYPESGAMETYPESGAMETYPES

Maybe you guessed from the title, but I want to talk about game types with you all. Or, the lack thereof in Halo 5. I like the game a lot, huge improvement over the last game. But we’re 10 months after launch, and still have effectively 4 game types (Slayer, CTF, Strongholds, Warzone - Infection, breakout, doubles, FFA are all just Slayer with different size teams). I think this is really the only thing that is holding this game back from having glorious online fun and the big population of previous Halo games. Action Sack is a start in the right direction, and it gives me a ton of hope.

And before you say “You can play them all in custom games” … I KNOW. WE DO IT ALL THE TIME AND ITS FUN AS -Yoink-. Many times it’s better than getting bored and burned out on Team Arena (Slayer, CTF, SH over and over and over AND OVER AND OVER). I think there are at least SOME people that have left the game because those modes aren’t in the base game anywhere, and that really sucks. I want lots of people playing H5 all the time! To me, more people online = more fun and better matches, and I think to 343i more people online = more sales… So I really don’t get it…

Below I’m going to list the game types and variants that I remember that are completely missing from matchmaking currently. Some are social, some competitive as hell (I like a mix of both)

Here goes - if there are any that I forgot, any that you think could be modified to fit H5 really well, please discuss them here! Which are your favorites? How would you change current playlists to incorporate these?

Neutral Flag
2 bomb Assault (Multi Bomb)
Stockpile
Oddball (along with SWAT potato, 3-Ball, Hot potato)
King of the Hill (Crazy King, Mosh Pit)
Extraction**
Juggernaut (VIP)
Invasion
Headhunter - (Even Destiny and Doom have versions of this one now)
Multi Team (Side note - I LOVED Triple Team Slayer on arena maps)
Slayer Pro
Team Snipers (and variants - Shotty Snipes, Covie Snipers, etc)
Team Heavies
Team Objective
Team Throwback
Ricochet**
Regicide** (and Team Regicide)
Dominion**
Race (Rocket Race, Rally)
Social versions of ranked playlists - Social Slayer, Rumble Pit (social FFA), Social Objective (was Social DLC I think)

** = 343i’s original game types

I was checking halo wiki while I’m at my dear at work, I think the list is pretty complete. Just made me even more convinced that some of these at least should be in the game now, and that will help halo’s image to veterans and new players alike. And I double checked, literally 4 different gametypes are available now :expressionless::gun: I cannot for the life of me figure out why?? It would be such an easy way to add variety…

I miss the turrets in Halo 4. Those things were great. Especially on Dominion. Half of what you said should probably brought back but not all.

I want a remake of the Halo 4 custom game The Hidden. That was a team of Spartans in a dimly lit rundown building, and one Flood combat form with active camo that would try to melee kill them one by one.

Best playthrough of it was when the Flood won a round. It came down to two players, one of them was a woman saying she wouldn’t get scared into her headset. Well, the other player with her got taken out first, so she screamed into her mic and was trying to make her character crouch walk backwards against a wall before she became the last victim.

Neutral Flag and 1 Flag CTF
2 bomb Assault (Multi Bomb) and 1 Bomb Assault
Oddball
King of the Hill (Crazy King, Mosh Pit)
Juggernaut (VIP)
Multi Team
Slayer Pro (BR and DMR starts variants)
Team Snipers (and variants - Shotty Snipes, Covie Snipers, etc)
Team Heavies
Race (Rocket Race, Rally)
Territories/Land Grab

How to implement them-
All CTF, Bomb, Oddball, and King of the Hill put into an Objective only Playlist
Slayer Pro will be put into FFA and Team Slayer.
KOTH and Oddball would be put into FFA. Social FFA can have Juggernaut.
Team Snipers would be its own playlist with multiple variants like Shotty Snipes, etc.
Team Heavies would be put into a social Slayer playlist along with Slayer Pro, VIP, and Juggernaut.
Multi-team would include Rocket Race, KOTH, Oddball, and Slayer playlists including Swords, Snipers, and Rockets.
Territories, Land Grab, and Strongholds put into a Team Control playlist.
Lastly the Arena Competitive playlist will be renamed Hardcore and feature no radar and only map based precision and power weapons.

> 2535453668882729;5:
> Neutral Flag and 1 Flag CTF
> 2 bomb Assault (Multi Bomb) and 1 Bomb Assault
> Oddball
> King of the Hill (Crazy King, Mosh Pit)
> Juggernaut (VIP)
> Multi Team
> Slayer Pro (BR and DMR starts variants)
> Team Snipers (and variants - Shotty Snipes, Covie Snipers, etc)
> Team Heavies
> Race (Rocket Race, Rally)
> Territories/Land Grab
>
> How to implement them-
> All CTF, Bomb, Oddball, and King of the Hill put into an Objective only Playlist
> Slayer Pro will be put into FFA and Team Slayer.
> KOTH and Oddball would be put into FFA. Social FFA can have Juggernaut.
> Team Snipers would be its own playlist with multiple variants like Shotty Snipes, etc.
> Team Heavies would be put into a social Slayer playlist along with Slayer Pro, VIP, and Juggernaut.
> Multi-team would include Rocket Race, KOTH, Oddball, and Slayer playlists including Swords, Snipers, and Rockets.
> Territories, Land Grab, and Strongholds put into a Team Control playlist.
> Lastly the Arena Competitive playlist will be renamed Hardcore and feature no radar and only map based precision and power weapons.

Someone get this man a medal, a gold star, a cookie, a job at 343i. FANTASTIC! I love nearly all of this - I would make some small changes to multi team game types because I find I real like the triple team version… But YES. 10000 times yes.

what I’m reading here is essentially halo 5 game play, with halo 3 playlist options. Obviously these gametypes would be subtly different for halo 5’s sandbox, but I think this is nearly perfect.

Also i remember playing land grab a few times, I guess I forgot about it cuz strongholds is a weird cross section of control game types… But I also love the idea of Team Control. Really well done, thanks man!

What at other ideas do we have??

Actually I have a couple small questions - for the above Hardcore playlist that was proposed, if precision weapons are only map based, then what would you like to see for starting weapons? I prefer no radar, but magnum/BR/AR starts are a pretty hot, controversial topic… I would think that either magnum + AR still, or BR with no secondary starting?

Also so what objectives should be in doubles? I think Oddball for sure, maybe Mosh Pit or KOTH?

> 2533274919210647;7:
> Actually I have a couple small questions - for the above Hardcore playlist that was proposed, if precision weapons are only map based, then what would you like to see for starting weapons? I prefer no radar, but magnum/BR/AR starts are a pretty hot, controversial topic… I would think that either magnum + AR still, or BR with no secondary starting?
>
> Also so what objectives should be in doubles? I think Oddball for sure, maybe Mosh Pit or KOTH?

Magnum only starts since people relate that to “skill” for the Hardcore playlist. Movement speed would also be increased, sprint speed would be increased as well.

Doubles would get 1 flag bomb/flag, KOTH, and Oddball.

At this point I just want Odball back :frowning:

• Slayer - Strongholds - Ctf - Assault - Breakout - Grifball - Infection - Firefight - Warzone/Warzone assault - Action sack

> 2533274833569045;10:
> - Slayer
> - Strongholds
> - Ctf
> - Assault
> - Breakout
> - Grifball
> - Infection
> - Firefight
> - Warzone/Warzone assault
> - Action sack

1. SWAT-ing