Gametype Idea: Load-outs cost points

What would you think of a gametype where loadouts could be assigned negative point values?

Something like:
-0 AR
-1 DMR (4-shot kill with 85% bloom)
-2 Magnum (3-shot kill from the Anniv. Classic gametype)
-2 Shotgun
-3 Sniper

If map weapons were turned off, players would be forced to use their purchased weapon to acquire a secondary, unless they’re lucky enough to find one recently dropped by someone else. This combined with a limited number of lives per round would put a lot of significance on choosing the right load-outs and using them effectively.
A player would need to gamble on either the weapon of their choice and their ability to get the allotted number of kills with it to start earning points, or purchase a weaker weapon and gamble on finding or taking a better one.

Edit:
I’ve been refining the idea. Limited lives and rounds - so idiots can’t go -37 while you’re on a killing spree. I was thinking about something like 3 lives per round for 5 rounds. That’s 12 points worth per 4 man team per round, and a total of 60 possible points for the game. With time limits on the rounds, it wouldn’t necessarily be a race to the winning score as much as a race to annihilate the other team three times or get your score as high as possible before the round ends. With a good spawn system it would be pretty sweet. I’m planning on trying to forge some crazy minigame map that does all of this with flags and stuff like Haloball. Should be interesting.

Would you vote for it if it came up?

Hell yeah I’d vote for it.

It’s like a better of team hotshots

You mean exactly like Shadowrun? O.o

Its a shame b/c not only was one of the lead developers for Reach taken from Shadowrun but the way it was executed in that game was much better in every way.

> You mean exactly like Shadowrun? O.o
>
> Its a shame b/c not only was one of the lead developers for Reach taken from Shadowrun but the way it was executed in that game was much better in every way.

Yeah I was thinking shadowrun as well when I read this post.

It would be a fun gametype if the loadiuts were interesting.

Could be a fun novelty gametype, I guess. Or give players [the score limit] every game worth of points and when they’ve used them all they’re out. But there shouldn’t be any loadouts worth 0 points.

Counter Strike was the first idea that came to mind, honestly. Then Shadowrun immediately after.

Please, let’s not bring this game even further away from the Halo formula.

Counter-strike was a part of the inspiration. Never played Shadowrun. How does it’s score system work? I’m not too worried about straying from the halo formula - there are a lot of crazy things in action sack.

Updated OP

> Counter-strike was a part of the inspiration. Never played Shadowrun. How does it’s score system work? I’m not too worried about straying from the halo formula - there are a lot of crazy things in action sack.
>
> Updated OP

Imagine Counter Strike but before the game starts you pick one of four races to play as, all of which have their own pros and cons. 2 gametypes, 1 flag and death match.You get money for killing players and for other actions during a round much like counter strike. The money is then used to buy weapons, magic or tech.

Weapons range from shotgun, machine gun, rifle, sniper, rockets and a katana. Tech usually enhances weaponry like added aim assist/less bloom or allow you to see through walls for a few seconds or grenades that drain magic from users that are in its area of effect. There is a glider tech that allows you to float over long range based on momentum, so for example you jump and use glider you get more height or if you jump from a certain height you can cover a great distance and get no fall damage. There is also a tech that allows you to move at great speed but you lose a lot of health when you are using it.

Magic ranges from planting a tree of life that heals anyone standing under it and also acts as cover or to block door ways. You can go ghost/invisible making you unaffected by any damage at the cost of draining your magic over time. You can shoot a gust of wind which can be used to push players off of maps, messing up their strafe, using it to damage/kill a ghosted/invisible player and knock them out of it, combined with a grenade to torpedo it across great distances with accuracy, hit a gliding player off their glider or use it to jump higher and then use glider to gain extreme height. Then there is teleport which allows you to “jump” through walls, floors and ceilings.

Honestly, this is one of the best shooters ever conceived and the reason why there was so much hype for Reach; the main developer for Shadowrun was hired as the Multiplayer Lead for Reach. Little did we know that the awesomeness did not transfer over…

Well I can definitely see the similarities. Still, I think loading out with a weapon and no AA or just hologram would be a lot closer to the Halo franchise and it’s arcade gameplay style than the RPG elements involved in Shadowrun and Counter-strike.

From the gameplay in that video you can see all the elements that they tried to copy but failed miserably, mainly the slowness of Reach coupled with the over effectiveness of certain AAs.

That looks awesome - I can’t believe I never got a chance to try that.

First off, you can’t mix Anniversary and TU settings, and making the DMR a 4SK would require another Title Update, so forget about that.

I tried to think of a better way to implement this clever “handicap people who choose power weapon loadouts” without breaking the game or enabling massive amounts of griefing. What I came up with is by altering players’ spawn traits. You could make it so people who choose superpowered loadouts spawn with 50% movement speed and deal 50% damage and can’t use AAs for the first 30 seconds after they spawn/respawn, or give people who choose the simple AR/Magnum loadout a bonus like double shields or 150% movement for their first 30 seconds.

> First off, you can’t mix Anniversary and TU settings, and making the DMR a 4SK would require another Title Update, so forget about that.

That’s anniversary settings. You can have 4sk DMRs in CEA and they’re 85% bloom. It’s awesome with the 3sk Magnum.

> I tried to think of a better way to implement this clever “handicap people who choose power weapon loadouts” without breaking the game or enabling massive amounts of griefing. What I came up with is by altering players’ spawn traits. You could make it so people who choose superpowered loadouts spawn with 50% movement speed and deal 50% damage and can’t use AAs for the first 30 seconds after they spawn/respawn, or give people who choose the simple AR/Magnum loadout a bonus like double shields or 150% movement for their first 30 seconds.

I was leaning towards no AAs or just Hologram for everybody. As far as boosted spawn traits, I figured an even playing field would be more traditionally Halo. Might not work great with a bad team match-up, but limiting lives/round should keep grief to a minimum. I mean, idiot team mates would still be able to make you lose, but only by completely sacrificing their gameplay experience, and you would still be able to have a good time and stomp. Making the loadouts cheaper or making kills worth more would potentially help too.

You’re in luck! Your idea has better luck be implemented one day than Arena changes ever being implemented!

Sorry I’m bitter…

Hahahahaha everyone trying to defend Reach from the Shadowrun comparisons would have no arguments left if this happens.

Not bashing the idea, it could play well for all I know. I just find the coincidence funny.