Gametype Change in Action Sack

I posted this in the Action Sack Feedback Thread, but thought I’d get the thoughts from others as well. So, here goes.

The game I like the least is Lightning Flag. It seems that others share this, because when I JIP, the vast majority of the time, it’s into a Flag game. This is too bad - I think flag could be a better game - but with the LR paintball settings, any kind of lag leads to a miserable experience. On your screen, the enemy is completely hidden by a wall. On his, you’re in his crosshairs. Die. Repeat.

I’ve played custom paintball games where the weapon is a 3SK PP (charged is a 1SK) rather than 1SK LR. These were actually pretty fun. The rapid ROF of the PP still yields extremely fast kill times, but because it requires multiple shots and the range is shorter, some of the lag issues are alleviated. It also adds just a touch of skill besides twitch and finding a good spot to camp.

Some of the PP-paintball games have had no ordnance, and those got old. One that didn’t was where the POD was either the BS or concussion rifle, with the BS having 5 times the odds of the concussion. The BS is HS-capable, so can kill in 1 shot, and the concussion behaves the same as in regular Lightning Flag. But since both are ballistic, camping is discouraged as their range is limited.

Anyway, I think this would improve Lightning Flag quite a bit. Thoughts?

TL;DR:

Change Lightning Flag to:

  1. 3SK / 1SK PP (single shot / charged) as the loadout weapon
  2. BS / Concussion (5:1) as ordnance

Lightning Flag is a good game type for the CTF play list.
it has the same game rules as CTF play list only you use lightrifle, it has higher damage with it.
but its still a CTF game type thats why its better to move it to CTF play list then let Action Sack have it.

You might as well remove it if you do that . . . it won’t get voted for in the regular CTF playlist. CTF and Lightning Flag play very differently. They are further apart than regular Slayer and SWAT, which have always been separated (for good reason). Besides, its nice to have a throwaway objective game in Action Sack. It would be nicer if it weren’t so lag-dependent; hence the reason for changing the weapons.

Hi Maximus,

I like the sound of the gametype.

To take the idea even further, why not have a rotational community gametype in Action sack? This could be one of the options. If enough people like it then it could replace lightning flag altogether or just join it in rotation.

However, I don’t really agree with just replacing lightning flag off the bat. I absolutely understand what you say about the lag and of course it can be pretty frustrating when you are at such a massive disadvantage, but in truth with H4 I think you just have to either accept the laggy games or play something else. After all, exactly the same problem exists with Binary slayer or indeed any of the other playlists/gametypes.

Otherwise, I always enjoy your comments/ideas - mainly because I am in exactly the same boat as you with recently starting to play Halo after Wolfenstein & Doom all those many years ago…

The rotational idea is neat. I like that one. And if one of them proves to be extremely popular, it could be considered as a replacement for one of the other games. My personal favs in the list are Rock & Rail (#1 by far), then Fiesta, then Binary Slayer. I actually like Lightning Flag more than Mini Slayer . . . so I wouldn’t mind seeing either of those two getting replaced. But yah, I agree there should be a transition time where both PP paintball and Lightning Flag are present, and the least popular one gets dumped after awhile.

On the lag, yep, I know . . . but part and parcel of designing a game in a known laggy environment is to attempt to compensate (to a reasonable extent). So I understand it will always be there in H4, and since I’m still playing, I’m okay with it. But it does mean I avoid Lightning Flag like the plague. Were it switched to PP paintball flag, I would cease avoiding it.

P.S. Nice to know there are a few other Wolfenstein players who came back to FPSs after a two-decade hiatus!

And somewhere along the way I left my reflexes behind :slight_smile:
-or the kids nicked 'em.

Still, I am having fun trying to find them again.

I have been playing quite a bit of Action Sack last week or so. Loving the rock n rail also and Binary Slayer next for me. And I do enjoy the objective part of the lightning flag.
Also the good thing about the playlist is plenty of variety. It is rare to play the same gametype twice in a row in my experience. I would like to try that PP type you mentioned.

That’s why I started to think a rotational slot could work - not to mention involving the community more.

Yah. I think rotational games in Action Sack would work really well . . . especially as it’s not meant to be taken seriously and is just a fart-around playlist. And community involvement is always good.

> Lightning Flag is a good game type for the CTF play list.
> it has the same game rules as CTF play list only you use lightrifle, it has higher damage with it.
> but its still a CTF game type thats why its better to move it to CTF play list then let Action Sack have it.

No, just no.

Stop making Halo 4 an total action sack playlist.
CTF is my favourite playlist and one of the last playlists that s a bit competitive.

Lighning flag is such a terrible gametype.

SWAT CTF is actually my favorite Action Sack gametype. :stuck_out_tongue:

> > Lightning Flag is a good game type for the CTF play list.
> > it has the same game rules as CTF play list only you use lightrifle, it has higher damage with it.
> > but its still a CTF game type thats why its better to move it to CTF play list then let Action Sack have it.
>
> No, just no.
>
> Stop making Halo 4 an total action sack playlist.
> CTF is my favourite playlist and one of the last playlists that s a bit competitive.
>
> Lighning flag is such a terrible gametype.

CTF play list is not my favorite play list and game type.
my favorite game type and play list is slayer.

Mantis slayer, enough said.

> SWAT CTF is actually my favorite Action Sack gametype. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah, but wouldn’t it be even more bestest favoriter with PPs?