Game Suggestion: Insurrectionist Era Combat

I feel that the Insurrectionist Era is never shown enough love. I feel that a game based in the Insurrectionist Era could be interesting. Especially if we play as normal humans. It would be cool if it was told from the Insurrectionist POV (just to get a better feel on what actually drives the inies). They could even have something like this as a cool ending or twist.

Edit:
To be totaly clear… I mean like a Call of Duty/Battlefield style game set in the Haloverse (human vs human, weapon attachments, perks and abilities, kill-streak rewards, etc…)

I’d definitely be up for this, if playing as a regular human isn’t as big a fail as it was in ODST.

> I’d definitely be up for this, if playing as a regular human isn’t as big a fail as it was in ODST.

I feel the problem with ODST was that you it felt more like a week Spartan than a strong marine. I would say that this would work if it feels more like Battlefield than a normal halo game.

> > I’d definitely be up for this, if playing as a regular human isn’t as big a fail as it was in ODST.
>
> I feel the problem with ODST was that you it felt more like a week Spartan than a strong marine. I would say that this would work if it feels more like Battlefield than a normal halo game.

I’d personally recommend such a game being a third person shooter.

> > > I’d definitely be up for this, if playing as a regular human isn’t as big a fail as it was in ODST.
> >
> > I feel the problem with ODST was that you it felt more like a week Spartan than a strong marine. I would say that this would work if it feels more like Battlefield than a normal halo game.
>
> I’d personally recommend such a game being a third person shooter.

That really depends, Halo and Battlefield are both good in FPS. The only way I would think that it would need TPS is if it goes a more tactical rout (like Ghost Recon). I do not think it needs it for the way I am envisioning. What it would need is more weapons (as we are essentially talking about a CoD/BF3 in the halo universe, more weapons would be a must).

> > > > I’d definitely be up for this, if playing as a regular human isn’t as big a fail as it was in ODST.
> > >
> > > I feel the problem with ODST was that you it felt more like a week Spartan than a strong marine. I would say that this would work if it feels more like Battlefield than a normal halo game.
> >
> > I’d personally recommend such a game being a third person shooter.
>
> That really depends, Halo and Battlefield are both good in FPS. The only way I would think that it would need TPS is if it goes a more tactical rout (like Ghost Recon). I do not think it needs it for the way I am envisioning. What it would need is more weapons (as we are essentially talking about a CoD/BF3 in the halo universe, more weapons would be a must).

Well, Halo Wars and Spartan Assault are proof that Halo can transcend genres if done right.

Also, what kinds of new weapons did you have in mind?

> > > > > I’d definitely be up for this, if playing as a regular human isn’t as big a fail as it was in ODST.
> > > >
> > > > I feel the problem with ODST was that you it felt more like a week Spartan than a strong marine. I would say that this would work if it feels more like Battlefield than a normal halo game.
> > >
> > > I’d personally recommend such a game being a third person shooter.
> >
> > That really depends, Halo and Battlefield are both good in FPS. The only way I would think that it would need TPS is if it goes a more tactical rout (like Ghost Recon). I do not think it needs it for the way I am envisioning. What it would need is more weapons (as we are essentially talking about a CoD/BF3 in the halo universe, more weapons would be a must).
>
> Well, Halo Wars and Spartan Assault are proof that Halo can transcend genres if done right.
>
> Also, what kinds of new weapons did you have in mind?

True, I just think that the FPS goes will with halo shooters (and this would be a shooter). Mainly because of the beautiful and exotic scenery (that a Player character would get in the way of). I am not saying it wouldn’t work, I just would prefer it to be FPS. That is unless it did take a more tactical direction, then whatever works.

As for guns, I was thinking allong the lines of Sniper Rifles (less powerful the normal Anti-Material rifle that we are used to in halo. Maybe some different variants of assault rifles and BRs (all that can have certain attachments). Plus if this was really from the Insurrectionist point of view, there could be a few decommissioned/outdated weapons that we normally do not see in halo.

> > > > > > I’d definitely be up for this, if playing as a regular human isn’t as big a fail as it was in ODST.
> > > > >
> > > > > I feel the problem with ODST was that you it felt more like a week Spartan than a strong marine. I would say that this would work if it feels more like Battlefield than a normal halo game.
> > > >
> > > > I’d personally recommend such a game being a third person shooter.
> > >
> > > That really depends, Halo and Battlefield are both good in FPS. The only way I would think that it would need TPS is if it goes a more tactical rout (like Ghost Recon). I do not think it needs it for the way I am envisioning. What it would need is more weapons (as we are essentially talking about a CoD/BF3 in the halo universe, more weapons would be a must).
> >
> > Well, Halo Wars and Spartan Assault are proof that Halo can transcend genres if done right.
> >
> > Also, what kinds of new weapons did you have in mind?
>
> True, I just think that the FPS goes will with halo shooters (and this would be a shooter). Mainly because of the beautiful and exotic scenery (that a Player character would get in the way of). I am not saying it wouldn’t work, I just would prefer it to be FPS. That is unless it did take a more tactical direction, then whatever works.
>
> As for guns, I was thinking allong the lines of Sniper Rifles (less powerful the normal Anti-Material rifle that we are used to in halo. Maybe some different variants of assault rifles and BRs (all that can have certain attachments). Plus if this was really from the Insurrectionist point of view, there could be a few decommissioned/outdated weapons that we normally do not see in halo.

Alright, I support this. Fighting human enemies would be a nice change of pace, and the story potential is evident.

> I feel that the Insurrectionist Era is never shown enough love. I feel that a game based in the Insurrectionist Era could be interesting. Especially if we play as normal humans. It would be cool if it was told from the Insurrectionist POV (just to get a better feel on what actually drives the inies). They could even have something like this as a cool ending or twist.

As long as they could get the balance correct in terms of the relative capabilities of normal humans versus Spartans (elites, etc), this could be achieved through a Spartan Ops type interface, maybe phrased as “combat training”, where soldiers (of all types) are put through various historical missions, from both sides, to try to learn from the mistakes / successes from the past.

From a 343 perspective, it could even be opened up for players to create collections of missions, as a use of the new forge capacity. Those who create the best get their collection published as DLC (possibly to be delivered free to the end users, but with some form of reward to the team that created the winning collection).

That would leave the options open to be creating (playing) missions as elites taking on humans, or as insurrectionists attempting to “plant the bomb”, etcetera. Guerrilla warfare tends to favour stealth (assassinations, ambushes, and similar, as the guerrilla’s don’t tend to have the military force to perform stand up battles), so stealth mechanics may be required. Then again, as per FUD, that was a not so subtle ODST drop on an insurrectionist force (the one that Lasky’s brother is killed in), so there should be enough normal combat to work with.

> > I feel that the Insurrectionist Era is never shown enough love. I feel that a game based in the Insurrectionist Era could be interesting. Especially if we play as normal humans. It would be cool if it was told from the Insurrectionist POV (just to get a better feel on what actually drives the inies). They could even have something like this as a cool ending or twist.
>
> As long as they could get the balance correct in terms of the relative capabilities of normal humans versus Spartans (elites, etc), this could be achieved through a Spartan Ops type interface, maybe phrased as “combat training”, where soldiers (of all types) are put through various historical missions, from both sides, to try to learn from the mistakes / successes from the past.
>
> From a 343 perspective, it could even be opened up for players to create collections of missions, as a use of the new forge capacity. Those who create the best get their collection published as DLC (possibly to be delivered free to the end users, but with some form of reward to the team that created the winning collection).
>
> That would leave the options open to be creating (playing) missions as elites taking on humans, or as insurrectionists attempting to “plant the bomb”, etcetera. Guerrilla warfare tends to favour stealth (assassinations, ambushes, and similar, as the guerrilla’s don’t tend to have the military force to perform stand up battles), so stealth mechanics may be required. Then again, as per FUD, that was a not so subtle ODST drop on an insurrectionist force (the one that Lasky’s brother is killed in), so there should be enough normal combat to work with.

This would take place during the Insurrectionist Era. That means that battles with Spartans and Covenant would be towards the end (and probably not playable in this game). However we shouldn’t rule it out. What if the Spartans were done the way Juggernauts are done in CoD. You are get them as some kid of reward (at least in competitive multiplayer).

> > I’d definitely be up for this, if playing as a regular human isn’t as big a fail as it was in ODST.
>
> I feel the problem with ODST was that you it felt more like a week Spartan than a strong marine. I would say that this would work if it feels more like Battlefield than a normal halo game.

I mean, compared to an Elite or Brute, a normal person would be anything but “strong”. Hell, a Grunt might be either as strong, or stronger than an average human.

> > > I’d definitely be up for this, if playing as a regular human isn’t as big a fail as it was in ODST.
> >
> > I feel the problem with ODST was that you it felt more like a week Spartan than a strong marine. I would say that this would work if it feels more like Battlefield than a normal halo game.
>
> I mean, compared to an Elite or Brute, a normal person would be anything but “strong”. Hell, a Grunt might be either as strong, or stronger than an average human.

That is where the problem lies. In Halo 3: ODST you are way to overpowered. You can still manhandle turrets and melee enemies as if you are still in power armor. You do not feel like a ODST, you feel like a spartan pretending to be an ODST. If 343i can avoid that overpowered feeling, then a game like this would be amazing.

i agree completely, ive always wanted a halo game where we are simply normal humans against the full force of the covenant. i think it would work best as a third person shooter so as to differentiate itself from the main halo games, but also so as to have a little bit more situational awareness to try and withstand the brutally overpowered enemies.

> i agree completely, ive always wanted a halo game where we are simply normal humans against the full force of the covenant. i think it would work best as a third person shooter so as to differentiate itself from the main halo games, but also so as to have a little bit more situational awareness to try and withstand the brutally overpowered enemies.

So like Evolve?

No, I was saying Humans vs Humans UNSC vs Insurrectionist (basically a Halo BF3). However that sounds interesting too, it could be more of a tactical game like Ghost Recon (positioning squad-mates, timing attacks).

> I’d definitely be up for this, if playing as a regular human isn’t as big a fail as it was in ODST.

To be honest ODST was not that bad. I think the problem is that people wanted to play as a Spartan and not an ODST.

It would be interesting if the story centered on Johnson during his Career as an ORION operative and switched between him and another character Halo 2-style.

> > i agree completely, ive always wanted a halo game where we are simply normal humans against the full force of the covenant. i think it would work best as a third person shooter so as to differentiate itself from the main halo games, but also so as to have a little bit more situational awareness to try and withstand the brutally overpowered enemies.
>
> So like Evolve?
>
> No, I was saying Humans vs Humans UNSC vs Insurrectionist (basically a Halo BF3). However that sounds interesting too, it could be more of a tactical game like Ghost Recon (positioning squad-mates, timing attacks).

I’d prefer a Halo-universe based, tactical, third person shooter like Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six Vegas rather than a Battlefield-esque game - although a Battlefield-esque game could work too. I think the multiplayer should be restricted to purely co-operative game modes however, not sure it could work with competitive multiplayer.

> > > i agree completely, ive always wanted a halo game where we are simply normal humans against the full force of the covenant. i think it would work best as a third person shooter so as to differentiate itself from the main halo games, but also so as to have a little bit more situational awareness to try and withstand the brutally overpowered enemies.
> >
> > So like Evolve?
> >
> > No, I was saying Humans vs Humans UNSC vs Insurrectionist (basically a Halo BF3). However that sounds interesting too, it could be more of a tactical game like Ghost Recon (positioning squad-mates, timing attacks).
>
> I’d prefer a Halo-universe based, tactical, third person shooter like Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six Vegas rather than a Battlefield-esque game - although a Battlefield-esque game could work too. I think the multiplayer should be restricted to purely co-operative game modes however, not sure it could work with competitive multiplayer.

If it is like the tactical shooter then we could have 4 vs 1 like evolve (but the one controls placement of lesser units and the 4 each have one or two npc partners). The game-play could end up being something like AvP vs GRAW.

However if its a BF3/COD style game then there wouldn’t need to be any restricting. it could be set up like normal. I mean it would basically be a COD but with a good story and better sandbox engine