Game freezing in the menu

As soon as I launch the game I have about ten seconds to do what I want then it freezes, this often happens during the loading animation after I press enter, but sometimes I get to see the menu as well. The music goes on and I have to close the game with task manager, not even Alt+F4 works.
I download the game with Xbox Game Pass through the Xbox Beta application.

I already updated both windows and my video card drivers and I’m not really sure what to do

I am having the EXACT same issue. All drivers are updated as well. PC and hardware is well above min and recommended requirements. Not sure either. But there is quite a few of these posts starting to crop up now.

Same issue here, I did open a ticket. Seems like its a pretty big issue to run into on a launch.

Ok so I managed to fix it. I mean, I’m not sure but it seems to work so far. You literally just have to wait a couple of minutes and it will un-freeze. It worked for me, not sure if it’s consistent

Same here i waited about 30 secs. Depends really might be a whole min to 5-10. But just wait or if u think itll be a long wait just restart and hope u get the short freeze.

waited 20mins three times and it hasnt worked for me (exact same issue)

Finally got it to launch!
I booted up the version without Anti-Cheat and the game froze when loading with music still playing, but after waiting about five minutes the game unfroze and i was able to play it. So patience is the key it seems, i also swiftly changed graphics settings to Fullscreen with V-sync off, all graphics settings on max aswell. Booting up the normal version with anti cheat afterwards worked flawlessly.

yep same issue here. game freezes when searching for a game. i have all driver up to date and a pretty good pc. its very infuriating.

Same.
I bought it on steam…I forgot I had Xbox Game Pass…
So I uninstalled, refunded and installed via Microsoft store.

Game Freezes after “Press enter to start” . Sometimes I can get to the main menu then it’ll freeze

Same issue on Xbox. Almost immediately after I press start, the game freezes and the music keeps playing. Ive tried hard reset, deleting the game and reinstalling and nothing makes a difference and I’ve tried loading in about 12 times. I think it’s ridiculous that such a beloved and popular game is having such a prevalent issue after an update. And no news of any support or fix that I can find. Come on 343, fix your game.

Mine froze 3 times, even after a hard reboot. I walked out of the room for 5 minutes to google solutions, walked back in and it was at the menu.

My error was the same, the title spin would stop and look like a freeze.

Same. 2-3 seconds everything’s fine and then just freeze. Mouse and music are working but the game doesn’t.
Xbox game pass btw.

you have to play the game on windowed. thank me later. I’m a troubleshoot god. Microsoft hire me please. MUAH

I’ve got it to play by opening the disabled anti cheat version through the start menu. (it froze for a bit but unfroze after about 20 seconds) and I went to settings; and disabled Vsync, uncapped fps and changed setting from borderless to fullscreen. Then i closed it and opened the real game through the start menu and it loaded without freeze at all and I’m currently playing the reach campaign right now. :smiley:

Waiting doesnt change anything to me, it’s been 15 minutes now. Actually a weird fact is that the game used to work completely fine. I wanted to play with Xbox friends so i launched the game on the xbox. The data sync had issue but after a while ended up working after i had to restart the game (because the sync was infinite). And it’s when i went back to the pc that the game stop working. The game froze after the press start menu when i get into the main menu, it always freeze after 1 sec. When i close the game from the task manager i have a Easy Anti-cheat pop up that says "Game security Violation Detected (#00000001). I don’t know if it’s really connected to a Easy Anti-cheat as it’s a game freeze, but maybe. And sometimes (rarely but sometimes) i have a “Gaming UI” page that pops up, and ask me if i want to sync with the sync or from an older save from the computer. And even more rarely sometimes i have both pop up, the Easy Anti-Cheat and the Gaming UI.
Any idea what can i do ? I already re-installed Easy Anti-Cheat, but it didn’t changed anything. It’s been 3 hours i have this issue and nothing seems to change anything (restarted my computer many times, even launched and closed the game on the Xbox, even disconnected from the xbox)

OK I FIXED MY ISSUE
Idk if it will work for you but i hope it will
I launched the game from the Xbox Beta app not from my desktop or microsoft store app. What happen is, this page that ask me which data i want to take (the one from the cloud in order to sync with my xbox data, or the older one from my computer) that used to pop up after i close the game after it crashes poped up while the game was running, so i choose the cloud sync, it loaded the newest data, and that’s it the game worked all fine.
Hope it will help someone !

> 2533274847002198;13:
> you have to play the game on windowed. thank me later. I’m a troubleshoot god. Microsoft hire me please. MUAH

That’s the first thing I tried, but it didn’t work for me. I think in my case, it’s an issue of having a particular model/type of GPU that makes the game unplayable in my machine.

Has anyone found away to edit the video settings with out launching the game? I know you can for other PC games. I mean that is if the screen freezing on the main menu is due caused by these settings. Found a default settings xml file, but even being an admin, I cannot take owner ship of the file to open it in an editor. Will try with psexce as system. takeown /F D:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Chelan_1.1246.0.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\data\settings\default.xml did not work for me even with a system level CMD prompt. Any Ideas? Will keep adding to this post with updates.

Edit:
Don’t try to reset the MCC app via your start menu. Made my computer fail to launch it and the xbox beta to loose it. Had to boot into safe mode, delete my windowsapps folder, reinstall the xbox app, and start from the beginning. :confused:

So this might be a fluke, but I wanted to offer what I did that got me past the almighty freeze.

I went to task manager, then to the “services” tab and noticed my XblGameSave service was stopped. I right-clicked that and hit “Open Services.” I then found Xbox Live Game Save in the services list, double clicked it, set the Startup type to Automatic (as mine was disabled), and hit “Ok.” Then in the Services window (not task manager) that we had just found Xbox Live Game Save in, I highlighted it, and then hit “Start the service” in the top left. I then ran the game from my Xbox Beta App and I have not froze yet.

I hope this helps others get online, and if my issue returns I will update this forum.

> 2533274874280455;19:
> So this might be a fluke, but I wanted to offer what I did that got me past the almighty freeze.
>
> I went to task manager, then to the “services” tab and noticed my XblGameSave service was stopped. I right-clicked that and hit “Open Services.” I then found Xbox Live Game Save in the services list, double clicked it, set the Startup type to Automatic (as mine was disabled), and hit “Ok.” Then in the Services window (not task manager) that we had just found Xbox Live Game Save in, I highlighted it, and then hit “Start the service” in the top left. I then ran the game from my Xbox Beta App and I have not froze yet.
>
> I hope this helps others get online, and if my issue returns I will update this forum.

No good for me. Let it run in the background while I was reading some posts here and it unfroze. Maybe it needs to download some last tid bits?