Game crash after black Halo screen *PROBLEM FOUND*

UPDATES BELOW*****

Hi all, i’m creating a new topic and deleting the old one because the last one received no attention, i’ll be including a lot more information in this one so that this problem can be resolved for all the users experiencing it.

The problem: Myself and many other people (as noted on the feedback page in the windows store) have an issue with the Halo 5: forge app crashing moments after launch. The game displays a black screen with the word “Halo” written on it, before closing (with no error message) and opening to the Halo app, if the app is installed.

Solutions I have already tried:
Uninstalling the Halo app
Uninstalling the Forge app and re-installing it, on both of my hard drives.
Signing into and out of my microsoft account in the windows store.
Making sure windows and all drivers are up to date. (including the anniversary update)

My computer specs:
intel i7-6700k
Nvidia GTX 980 (Driver version: 372.70)
24GB RAM
SSD with 70GB space (~30GB after download) with OS.
HDD with 2 TB space
Windows 10, with anniversary installed. (Windows version: Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176936))

If anyone else is having the same issue reply below, and list your specs of you can. Let’s get an answer to this so we can enjoy the great gift 343 industries has just given to us.

*UPDATE:
During the process of removing my graphics driver i was able to launch the game past the Halo screen and into the menu. at the time, my nvidia driver was uninstalled. I have tried installing and uninstalling the driver since then and i haven’t been able to reproduce this accidental success, but the fact that it worked when i didn’t have the driver installed leads me to believe that the Nvidia driver is still the source of our problems.

I will be posting further updates below in THIS comment as i cannot create more comments due to the forum’s 5 comments per day rule, which is honestly a terrible idea when this forum is your main source of customer support and feedback. (no offense)

UPDATE 2**
Due to a comment by Moltenpainter45, we now have a SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM. For myself and molten, the game would crash with more than one display. I have my Laptop’s display, and a 24" monitor as my main screen. unplugging my 24" monitor allowed the game to work properly.

343, THERE IS YOUR PROBLEM. PLEASE FIX THIS!!!

Same problem except I have an error message saying that I don’t meet the minimum requirements (when I know I do, even if barley.)

Specs:

Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti (Gigabyte)
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD)
1862GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0820 USB Device (USB (SATA))

I have the game installed on the external hard drive. According to the Windows Store I don’t have Direct X11 which is untrue. I also have Direct X12 and i’m assuming that the game isn’t detecting it for some reason.

I’d love to play this with my PC friends but this is beginning to seem hopeless…

My friend is also having this problem, the game just closes after launch, and is not recognizing that he meets Directx requirements. Not sure what the fix is for this problem, hope we find a fix soon!

> 2533274826915882;3:
> My friend is also having this problem, the game just closes after launch, and is not recognizing that he meets Directx requirements. Not sure what the fix is for this problem, hope we find a fix soon!

Unfortunately i receive no error messages of any kind. it installed fine with no errors, and doesn’t report any errors or problems when it crashes.

Same, and does yours say that you meet Directx requirements?

> 2533274826915882;5:
> Same, and does yours say that you meet Directx requirements?

Yes, i have DIrectx 12.

UPDATE: the issue seems to be with Nvidia graphics drivers, i uninstalled my driver and the game loaded, and when i re-installed it the game crashes again. i’m now investigating to see which driver version will work with the forge app, if any. I have yet to recreate the issue where it launches successfully. also, to the guy who said update, can you provide more info? because checking for updates didn’t do anything.

> 2535406500355514;7:
> UPDATE: the issue seems to be with Nvidia graphics drivers, i uninstalled my driver and the game loaded, and when i re-installed it the game crashes again. i’m now investigating to see which driver version will work with the forge app, if any.

You were able to load it on intel graphics? The heck did you load it on?

So I think that it is the drivers, im gonna try this: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html It will wipe all my previous drivers and then ill try installing the new ones.

I encounter this problem and solved it. Check Windows 10 and the Windows Store for updates.

> 2535452786791789;10:
> I encounter this problem and solved it. Check Windows 10 and the Windows Store for updates.

You could have been a little more descriptive, because this doesn’t really tell us anything.

> 2535406500355514;7:
> UPDATE: the issue seems to be with Nvidia graphics drivers, i uninstalled my driver and the game loaded, and when i re-installed it the game crashes again.

Uninstalling did NOT work for me, I just tested it.

Same Problem, although I can get past the word “halo” nut when I click “Build” :Black screen, Then crash with no warning. Anyone know how to fix?
Specs: Copied from control panel
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz 2.40GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
I don’t think Pen and Touch matters

I have a 4590K + 980TI with Nvidia driver version 369.09. Everything seems to work but I get random crashes with no error codes or anything. It just closes, same thing as SenseiKitch describes. I can play for an 1-2 hours before it crashes, usually.

I would like to add that I have had NUMEROUS crash-to-desktop issues when joining games or loading certain maps solo.

I am talking BSOD’s over and over from just loading maps.

I have unplugged both my secondary and tertiary monitor and ave had immediate success loading aforementioned maps.

I am still having the issue after messing with the drivers. Suggest OP take off problem found on title so the non-existant 343i can see it maybe as a still active problem.

Here is a thought. For those of you that have had it launch even once. What version of Geforce Experience are you on? The new one or the old one?

> 2533274910140147;17:
> Here is a thought. For those of you that have had it launch even once. What version of Geforce Experience are you on? The new one or the old one?

I’m using the new GeForce Experience and the game has launched for me.

Originally I had this issue then it died off for a while and now it’s back. I also have found that Halo 5: Forge can launch but not connect to servers when the Halo companion app is not installed. Either way the game is broken and 343i really needs to step up and take over these issues. These are really scaring away a lot of new non-experienced players (not many, before by the way). I’ve seen many people just give up and stop caring about the game because it already lacks so much without technical issues.

I FOUND IT! I FOUND A SOLUTION! MAKE IT KNOWN! I don’t know if this works for everyone, but when I launch the Halo app/game for the first time after a reboot, a program starts. The program is the InstallShield Update Service Scheduler, or ISUSPM. You cannot see the program on the task bar, but if you use Alt+Tab, it shows up as a small white text box. Either find a way to uninstall it, or use the quick fix of just closing it using the Alt+Tab menu. I haven’t looked to hard into the application, but I believe it is used by Microsoft for installing apps. Just close the app and the error should not occur. I hope this helps everyone else like it did me. Specs below.

Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 2.66 GHz
RAM: 16.0 GB
System: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780 EVGA
OS: Windows 10 Pro V1607

Please quote me if you have any questions that you believe I can help with. (Not a tech genius, but I’m pretty damn close)
Leave a reply if this issue helped out and spread the word to try to help as many people as possible, as 343i isn’t doing much.

> 2535420510643980;19:
> I FOUND IT! I FOUND A SOLUTION! MAKE IT KNOWN! I don’t know if this works for everyone, but when I launch the Halo app/game for the first time after a reboot, a program starts. The program is the InstallShield Update Service Scheduler, or ISUSPM. You cannot see the program on the task bar, but if you use Alt+Tab, it shows up as a small white text box. Either find a way to uninstall it, or use the quick fix of just closing it using the Alt+Tab menu. I haven’t looked to hard into the application, but I believe it is used by Microsoft for installing apps. Just close the app and the error should not occur. I hope this helps everyone else like it did me. Specs below.
>
> Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 2.66 GHz
> RAM: 16.0 GB
> System: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
> Graphics: Nvidia GTX 780 EVGA
> OS: Windows 10 Pro V1607
>
> Please quote me if you have any questions that you believe I can help with. (Not a tech genius, but I’m pretty damn close)
> Leave a reply if this issue helped out and spread the word to try to help as many people as possible, as 343i isn’t doing much.

I will be sure to try this tonight. I will keep you updated to see if it works.