Gallery Books Reprint Cover Material

Hey guys,

I’ve recently been reading the recent Halo material published (here in the UK) by Titan Books from the last few years. I’ve wanted to go back an read all of the older material published by Tor, but unless I can find second-hand copies of the original trade paperback prints, only the smaller mass market books are immediately available. Thankfully, and to much luck, I see that Gallery Books have started reprinting everything, and in chronological publishing order.

But… I just can’t stand the material used to make covers. The older Tor books had a firm, glossy cover, whereas the reprints have a flimsy matte cover and it really doesn’t feel that nice. I understand that this is the very definition of first-world problems, but has anyone else picked up a recent reprint? I’d love to know that I’m not alone in slipspace with this issue.

I also recently got back into Halo fiction and have picked up a couple of the Gallery Books prints. These covers in particular actually feel sturdier to me than some of my old Tor published glossy covers.

In general for paper back books, glossy covers draw a lot more sweat from my hands than matte covers, meaning glossy covers tend to cause page discoloration more quickly than matte covers. That’s my experience anyway. I think it might have to do with the glossy covers creating more of a seal against your fingertips, while the matte covers are more uneven of a surface, allowing more air. Idk, I could be completely full of it, so take my musings with a grain of salt.

> 2657927994372639;2:
> I also recently got back into Halo fiction and have picked up a couple of the Gallery Books prints. These covers in particular actually feel sturdier to me than some of my old Tor published glossy covers.
>
> In general for paper back books, glossy covers draw a lot more sweat from my hands than matte covers, meaning glossy covers tend to cause page discoloration more quickly than matte covers. That’s my experience anyway. I think it might have to do with the glossy covers creating more of a seal against your fingertips, while the matte covers are more uneven of a surface, allowing more air. Idk, I could be completely full of it, so take my musings with a grain of salt.

Ah, that’s fair enough. I think I just need to get over it haha. I prefer the matte covers found on the Witcher books, for example. It’s just these gallery reprints feel cheap. Even the Halo logo isn’t sharp on the book, as if it was printed at lowe resolution.