From each Halo comes a solution to Halo 5

On playing Halo 4 and partaking in this community and B.net I’ve come to what I feel is the simplest solution for Halo for everyone.

With Halo 4 I have to say that 343 has managed a feat that I felt would’ve never been possible after the massive outcry and dislike over Halo Reach from competitive players mostly from Halo 3 and 2 gens. There was no making them happy. AAs had to go and the DMR had to be removed. This has been their agenda since the minute a scrub lit them up from coming out of an Armor Lock or evaded a well timed melee or crossed the map.

Now on the other hand with each new game comes it’s detractors but also a new generation of players who fell in love with game and adapted to it while taking to AAs like fish being released into the seas. Each game finds these players, we have them here in the forum defending Halo 4 as much as a Halo 3 player demands the BR being the dominate goto rifle.

343 was successful in crafting an FPS that took the certain beats of each game and meshed them into one experience that funneled us all into the armored shoes of the Spartan IVs, and that’s where it’s having some of it’s issues with the older generation and the newer. It caters to both but fails to cross any line on which one it’s really meant for. The Halo 3 players would argue that they got the heavier end of the proverbial stick with all the game breaking features. While the newer generation of players would say this is okay, but I’ll go play Cod or BF3 instead… or they take to it and fall in love and you have a new Halo fan base that has joined the ranks of a niche that demands it’s Halo 4 as much as a Halo 3 player demands his Halo 3 experience.

So how do you fix this so late in the decline of Halo as the goto FPS on Xbox live. In truth I don’t think you can do it on how long Halo has been around The fault lies with us. We will not allow this franchise to advance creatively. Case in point the vehicles are the same from 2001, in fact Halo has detracted from the sandbox when it comes to vehicle design. The Mantis though interesting is far from really versatile or interesting after three or four rides in it on the Mp maps, while being lambasted for breaking game play or being to over powered, or to ineffectual. The problem is us. We’ve demanded the same cheeseburger from an industry that likes to steal mustard recipes from each other over and over again and that it is evident in the Mantis and how the Banshee was tailored for the MP playbox.

Gentlemen and Ladies, no BF3 player will find the Scorpion or Banshee as a vehicle they want to really use on a battle ground. If you put a Scorpion on the same grounds with a Battle tank from BF3 it would be a smoking ruin in a matter of minutes and gamers inherently know this about Halo. Nostalgia is it’s only saving grace.

So how do you fix this?

If you made it this far I can only say thank you I’m coming to the end, but it will be my underlining push for Halo 5 until Halo 5 ships.

I believe 343 need to separate us and our perceptions of how the game should play and there is an easy way to do this.

They need to switch us to Armor Tiers. So how does that work. Each Armor Tier brings a different but similar experience as well as catering to the target groups their meant for. Players would be playing for Rank and to unlock ArmorSets specific to that game type. So basically you hop into a Tier 2 armor and you’re matched up with other players wearing the same tier. The armor now dictates how the map plays, while spawning weapon points take on meaning depending on what your wearing. These Tiers do not mix unless specified in a FREE-For-All match. Other than that Spartan IIs fight Spartan IIs.

So here’s an example.

Armor Tier 2: Spartan IIs. Same starting weapon, same speed, power weapons spawn on maps, no AAs, no load outs. Target group Halo 2 and 3 players. Draw for other types of players: Equipment Grenades, Armor Sets, VSR, Unlocks for classic weapons.

Armor Tier 3: Centurions. AAs. DMRs. Target group ODST and Reach Fire Fighters. Say what you want AAs are fun against the Ai and Halo 5 needs Fire Fight back. Before all you Spartan Ops guys get your knickers in a bunch lets talk about Spartan IVs in Tier 4.

Armor Tier 4: Spartan IVs. Traits and Specialization. No AAs. Ordnance and SAW out to your hearts content. Throw in Spartan Ops missions that are based more on mystery. 343 if your going to flood us with reused maps I highly suggest that thought of the maps being based on an Iceberg principle. There might be a little on the top but a Mountain lies underneath the waves. Utilize the Ai. Utilize the decoder and add a mystery to each map that the community has to unlock, while delving deeper and deeper into the same maps. Think about the ODST ONI complex where were going deep into a map and unlocking content and easter eggs.

Lastly and thank you for making this far.

Lastly Tier 5.

Halo5 needs a hook. A major one. How do you do that? You do it by introducing a new combat class of Spartans that are Vehicle oriented. Their Spartan Armor isn’t attached to their chests it’s the vehicle itself. 343 need to reignite the ORION program. All new tank classes, Sabers and Broadswords need to be in the sky. The Wart Hog and the Revenant need a breeding program. Halo was known for it’s use of vehicles and the fun they inspired. All the other tiers cover the current FPS shooter ideals, but massive vehicle battle that contain new and powerful designs that are Halo will be a good draw for BF3 players. A Tank that can cloak or form a Hardlight Shield while Booster Frames soar above. Sign me up. Don’t worry classic guys you Scorpion will be in the Tier 2 maps sets, but it’s time for a boost in big vehicle battle that ignite the imagination.

So this will be my general argument for a while. I can’t see us being happy by being forced together, but I can see us all enjoying trying our hands in each other’s game type if it’s not forced on us.

Thanks for reading this.

Very interesting ideas, especially with Tier 5. Only problem with all these though is that they would divide the community. But I agree, Halo 5 needs a hook, something new and unique, especially when it comes to mp.

youre a madman… and i love it.

> Very interesting ideas, especially with Tier 5. Only problem with all these though is that they would divide the community. But I agree, Halo 5 needs a hook, something new and unique, especially when it comes to mp.

That’s the problem the community is already divided. But the draw of unlocking these specific Armors or abilities while having to engage in each other’s playlists might actually bring us all back together. I just think we need our specific game types that we all love and know and a central reason to try them between us all out without having them foisted on us would be a good idea right about now.

You know a Halo 3 guy might just fall in love with Evade if he uses in soley in Firefight while a Reach guy might enjoy tossing an EMP Equipment Grenade in a Halo 3/2 game type while trying to unlock the Tier 2 EVA set.

Quite frankly, that’s a pretty amazing idea. I dig it though it presents it’s own problems around support, balance, population decline as the game ages (for all the different possibilities in terms of playlists), etc…

> Quite frankly, that’s a pretty amazing idea. I dig it though it presents it’s own problems around support, balance, population decline as the game ages (for all the different possibilities in terms of playlists), etc…

I agree the decline is self evident due to the games age. One just has to look upon Bungies Destiny. They are now unhampered by a community demanding the same thing over and over again while Microsoft follows the laws of economics of enough to entice the core while trying to garner new dollars and gamers from other FPS by mimicking certain features.

Battlefront III died, so there’s a gaping hole if 343 can somehow implement big vehicle battles. And I mean go all out. You can’t just re-skin a Scorpion, you need advanced designs that even a Armored Core guy would go I want to drive that now!

It needs to be in the gamers head that if a Halo Tank entered the map it would dominate all other competitors in design, sheer menace, and power. I think that Tier 5 could take Halo out with a happy thunderous clap of a Mac round in the side of a Covenant Cruiser in Halo 5 and 6.

I’d like to see:

• Huge BF-size multiplayer maps, with full environmental destructibility and rafts of vehicles, including flyable Phantoms and Pelicans and combat aircraft other than the small Banshee-type machines we have already seen. Flying a Seraph or Broadsword in MP would be awesome.
  • Some smaller maps for that classic Halo experience, for all the purists.
  • Space combat maps! Reach should have had an orbital combat playlist inspired by the Sabre mission.
  • Maps and modes that allow for more than 8v8. An entire city, perhaps?

Surely the next generation of consoles should allow for that lot.