Friend or Foe system

I hope that we get more information on that soon. I think that it’s very intriguing. How do you guys think that will work?

I’m wondering if we’ll get the option to edit colors on things like
Team 1 (your team)
Team 1(How fireteam members on your team appear on the HUD)
Team 2
Team 3
Team 4

With additional options like Coating Overrides. By that I mean, a switch in the options menu that would replace all coatings in team-based modes (For example, Capture the Flag, and not Juggernaut) with the basic team color, but only you can see it like that. I think it would satisfy everyone.

They said in the blog post we can change the outline colors

I would love to be able to change colors for people in your party also. So 3 colors (enemies, teammates, the boys)

As has already been mentioned, the outlines are indeed customisable, and whatever colours you choose will also affect the scoreboard, the flag, and even the team bases, apparently.

> 2535424555550180;2:
> They said in the blog post we can change the outline colors

Fluorescent Pink enemies and Lime green teammates here we come!

> 2535446427305943;1:
> With additional options like Coating Overrides. By that I mean, a switch in the options menu that would replace all coatings in team-based modes (For example, Capture the Flag, and not Juggernaut) with the basic team color, but only you can see it like that. I think it would satisfy everyone.

I’d love to see this “coating override” option and, I’d like to raise it by including a “armor set/affect override”, especially in competitive game modes. Don’t get me wrong I think it’s great for everyone to express themselves how they see fit but just like with voice, a visual mute option would be beneficial for focus. I understand this is an unpopular opinion and most likely stems from a biases toward “classic halo” but, depending on how obnoxious these armor sets/coatings/affects get, having a visual mute could be a quality of life issue. Simplifying the visual of an enemy always appearing the same way (standard mark VI) helps with muscle memory and prevents even the slightest reticle placement confusion. I’m sure 343 will keep helmet sizes close and hit detection the same but I’d rather just have a streamlined experience without fluff in competitive modes. Armor affects worry me the most however. It was fun hearing/seeing confetti pop the first few headshots during those Reach days but it got old quick and the cloud affects of electricity and gas were never enjoyable. I’d rather stay immersed without audio distractions. I’d rather not think an enemy/teammate glowing with electricity is stuck or shields are flared, even if it’s only a split second. Again, I’m down with all customization, I’m just more down with an options for a customization of personal experience.

I think 343 is taking care to give players every possible customization option. Either for the competitive, or for people who suffer for example from color blindness. I personally wouldn’t worry.

I hope that you guys are right about that.

I honestly like the system and I don’t mind it being somewhat hard to call out enemies. It will increase communication, but I understand why people have a problem with how thick the line is. I am changing my teammates to green or white.

> 2533274792737987;9:
> I honestly like the system and I don’t mind it being somewhat hard to call out enemies. It will increase communication, but I understand why people have a problem with how thick the line is. I am changing my teammates to green or white.

Well, you can’t change their armor colors to green or white as far as I know.

> 2535446427305943;10:
> > 2533274792737987;9:
> > I honestly like the system and I don’t mind it being somewhat hard to call out enemies. It will increase communication, but I understand why people have a problem with how thick the line is. I am changing my teammates to green or white.
>
> Well, you can’t change their armor colors to green or white as far as I know.

I’m talking about the outline.

Oh, yeah, sorry about that!

I think the friend or foe system sounds pretty cool. From the little that we could see of it from the Gameplay overview video, it doesn’t seem to be too overdone. They did say that you could customize the outline color of both your teammates and enemies which is a nice touch. I definitely agree with what someone else said in this thread that if there were an option to change it to the classic red vs blue on your screen that would be fantastic.

> 2533274866022405;13:
> I think the friend or foe system sounds pretty cool. From the little that we could see of it from the Gameplay overview video, it doesn’t seem to be too overdone. They did say that you could customize the outline color of both your teammates and enemies which is a nice touch. I definitely agree with what someone else said in this thread that if there were an option to change it to the classic red vs blue on your screen that would be fantastic.

Is it just me or do you also like how it’s not blatantly obvious it’s your enemy like it was red vs blue? I feel like it adds much more realism to it which is oddly appealing to me.

> 2533274792737987;14:
> > 2533274866022405;13:
> > I think the friend or foe system sounds pretty cool. From the little that we could see of it from the Gameplay overview video, it doesn’t seem to be too overdone. They did say that you could customize the outline color of both your teammates and enemies which is a nice touch. I definitely agree with what someone else said in this thread that if there were an option to change it to the classic red vs blue on your screen that would be fantastic.
>
> Is it just me or do you also like how it’s not blatantly obvious it’s your enemy like it was red vs blue? I feel like it adds much more realism to it which is oddly appealing to me.

I definitely like that every player is able to showcase their individual style a lot more with this system. In previous Halos it always felt like I was wasting my time choosing different colors on my spartan because most of the time I would be playing arena where I’d be painted blue or red anyway. I do think that the outlines help me to focus more on the actual player itself because I have to look more carefully for the enemy outline to make sure I’m shooting the right target.