Friend or Foe Identification

So I understand the idea behind the outlining of all players on the map. The problem I have is that since we have moved away from Red vs Blue, I find myself getting constantly confused with who is FoF. If I am on Blue Team and the enemy has blue armor, due to distance, the red outline is sometimes hard to react to. Especially after the bots were upgraded to ODST. Milliseconds matter in games like these and threat identification becomes more difficult in these situations. I highly believe that the enemy outlines should go away and we should consider the Rocket League approach. Red Team colors are various shades of red, Blue Team are various shades of blue.

Basically how I envision it is your Spartan would have 3 shader sets. Red Team shaders, Blue Team Shaders, and Default shader (which would be your main player model colors in Menu, FFA, Campaign, and for the beginning/ending match cinematics). I also feel that when you can see the enemy outlines (outline thickness seems inconsistent which at times makes it easier but sometimes confusing), it makes it much easier to see the enemy taking away from having to actually keep your eyes peeled for them. Someone stationary behind a wall but not fully out, you may have not seen them in the past games. But now, you will see that red outline of the part of the body sticking out. Gets rids of sneakiness. I can see this posing a problem in objective games once we go PVP. Also with the outlines, it’s more difficult to tell if the enemy’s shields are broken. Most of the time I cannot tell and just fire away instead of just aiming for the single headshot. If outlines were removed and we reverted back to RvB (or Rocket League style RvB) then we should be able to see the broken shield effect much easier.

I will say keeping the outlines on friendlies through the walls would be completely fine but for enemies, that has to go. Also can we please get player names back above friendlies? It can be a bit transparent as to not interfere with line of sight but trying to figure out where specific people are is a pain.

Just my two cents. I’m really enjoying the game and look forward to playing it at release. I would say that would be my biggest complaint as everything else seems great for a technical preview.

I say it gotta go i keep shooting my team by mistake

> 2535424786818858;2:
> I say it gotta go i keep shooting my team by mistake

I’ve done this so many times. And then when I see enemy, I’m looking at the armor color first and hesitate. This hesitation in PVP is going to be lethal. The ODST bots are already unforgiving at times and I have paid for it a lot already. Now I am just shooting until I realize the blue outline.

It’s going to take time for me to get use to it every day. Honestly I wish they would allow a toggle feature for red vs blue. I know they took it out so people could express them better but I just prefer a visual red vs blue. Just my personal preference.

Being able to force team colors onto armor would be ideal as an accessibility option!

I love the idea of being able to express yourself more through in-game display of your own choices. I think that 100% color expression should be left to FFA, Campaign, your main avatar, and the opening/closing matchmaking cinematics. But once a team game starts, force the color specific shaders and only keep the outline for teammates that are not line of sight (other side of a wall or floor).

I can see how there might be issues with how they handled that. Honestly it happened to me too the first few rounds. It’s just something to get used to unless they add an option to match armor and team colors on the screens of people who opted for it.

Personally I actually get on with it decently after spending some time in matches.

I have been getting good at identifying FoF but I still constantly second guess and I’m assuming if the bots get upgrade to “Spartan Bots”, it’s gonna get painful real quick. Add playing ranked in the future. Yeah knowing where your team is in relation to the enemy is all a part of communication and being good at high rank, but there are a lot of times where close combat happens and we are back to the issue of milliseconds. First thing you are naturally going to see first is the body color as it covers a much larger surface, and then the outline depending on distance.

If friendly fire gets removed, that’s when the issue is going to become much larger as people are going to be pre-firing on teammates as they hit the corner at a much higher frequency. Right now, everyone is getting used to no friendly fire. Let’s see how that changes if that gets toggled.

Bots should default to grey instead of blue. That should have been obvious to 343.

> 2533274968042384;9:
> Bots should default to grey instead of blue. That should have been obvious to 343.

I would assume they made them blue on purpose to see if people still had trouble telling they were the “red” (enemy) team.

I have noticed that when an enemy spawns they don’t get a red outline until a second or so afterwards.
Also, I wonder if the inclusion of a Friend or Foe system means we won’t be able to play games with 3 or more teams…

There definitely needs to be an accessibility slider to toggle on red vs blue. With my poor vision I’m having an extremely hard time telling who an enemy is at range, especially when there gamertags are not displayed above their bodies currently.

I 100% agree with OP, seeing a full armor color makes that split second difference. Also, if I’m not the one to pop the enemies shield, it is hard to tell when they are without.

> 2533274895467702;11:
> I have noticed that when an enemy spawns they don’t get a red outline until a second or so afterwards.
> Also, I wonder if the inclusion of a Friend or Foe system means we won’t be able to play games with 3 or more teams…

I’m sure they’d just also be red (or w/e you’ve picked for enemy).

This would make it harder to focus on a team that’s ahead, though.

I think a huge help for me would be to at least keep a marker on top of my friendly heads. That way I will always know and won’t have to rely on the outline.

No marker?=enemy

> 2533274895467702;11:
> I have noticed that when an enemy spawns they don’t get a red outline until a second or so afterwards.
> Also, I wonder if the inclusion of a Friend or Foe system means we won’t be able to play games with 3 or more teams…

No, if they keep the same system in place (which I really like. It makes the purpose of customization all that more prevalent) then I’m sure they would just add different color outlines like orange and green. But I personally really like that fact that now even in team modes we keep the same colors we choose. I always thought it was a bit pointless to let us choose our colors but force one on us in the match.

They should just do what cod does, outlines and names for friendlies, nothing for foes.

> 2533274805771423;17:
> They should just do what cod does, outlines and names for friendlies, nothing for foes.

Names are a must for friendlies. I do not understand why the removed them in the first place.

Here is my two cents

I have had no issues identifying my friendlies from my foes. First of all, we have a intro cinematic that shows you your teammates, and what team you are on. I had my colors set to
Red: Friendly
Green: Foe
My first 2 games, sure, I had some issues adjusting to this. But after those matches, I knew who my team was. The whole point of the FOF system is to allow players to show off their Spartans in color and armour. Making it so.its only for the animation and FFA while having forced team colors for team based games literally goes back on what 343 is trying to do with this game. It’s just RVB with some extra steps. The best way to fix the FOF system is to add alternative features, like making it so only friendlies show up with names, have dots above their head, etc.

We dont need a toggle for RVB, we just need to adapt this to be easier for vets and new players while having 343 let players express their freedom. There are ways to fix this without going backwards.

sometimes my teamates would be the same color as the enemy and i would end up shooting at them and i wasnt sure if it was the all blue coating but i prefer red v blue.