Frankie Talks about Halo/343

In this article from Times magazine. What do you guys think? Does it make sense? I still think 343 could have done more for Halo.

Here is the link: http://time.com/4090404/halo-5-frank-oconnor/

I too can imagine a Halo game where I don’t shoot anything… But please, never again, call that a level/stage in my FPS Halo game!

But also, if a game is to be as entertaining to watch as it is to play… The story MUST be more coherent and connected. The very first cinematic makes no sense on the rest of the game, and is just one of many instances of loading Chekov’s guv, but never firing it.

I would absolutely love a non-combat Halo game. One that focuses almost exclusively on the story with more RPG-esque mechanics honestly interests me more than anything being put out right now. I absolutely loved the noncom missions in Halo 5, just being able to walk around and experience the locales and talk to the inhabitants was fantastic, and something I’d very much welcome as its own game.

That’s a good article. Agree with Frankie regarding the natural evolution of player movement and the impact that’s had on immersion. And that this iteration is much more pleasing to watch compared to previous iterations (I’m enjoying HCS streams despite never watching pre-H5 MLG tourneys).

I like Frankie’s honesty, and the fact that he never seems to skirt around his own opinion.

A lot of what he said makes sense to me, I understand why 343 went with certain design choices now.

A noncombat halo? That’d be boring imo. What would be the point? It’s almost hard to think of video games without any combat. Even exploration games have some source of combat.

Lazy Linky

Look for me personally I think most games miss the point on the story. When I think back to Halo CE and what I feel made it great was the gameplay itself, the story was good but playing the game was what made it great.

So, Frankie gives it the usual flannel.
I don’t know if he was playing the same story as the rest of us.

2 things struck me.

1. Sounds like the squad mechanic is going to stay for H6.
  2. Frankie says H5 reminds him of Return of the Jedi and I agree.

That was the first rubbish Star Wars film.

> 2533274904944768;3:
> I would absolutely love a non-combat Halo game. One that focuses almost exclusively on the story with more RPG-esque mechanics honestly interests me more than anything being put out right now. I absolutely loved the noncom missions in Halo 5, just being able to walk around and experience the locales and talk to the inhabitants was fantastic, and something I’d very much welcome as its own game.

You are one of the few.

> 2533274962785885;9:
> So, Frankie gives it the usual flannel.
> I don’t know if he was playing the same story as the rest of us.
>
> 2 things struck me.
> 1) Sounds like the squad mechanic is going to stay for H6.
> 2) Frankie says H5 reminds him of Return of the Jedi and I agree.
>
>
> That was the first rubbish Star Wars film.

Sadly there was no Luke vs. Vader like they advertised.

That little crack he made about people who think Cortana is evil being young fans who don’t get subtly or nuance makes him sound like a condescending -Yoink- to be honest.

> 2533274851412396;6:
> A noncombat halo? That’d be boring imo. What would be the point? It’s almost hard to think of video games without any combat. Even exploration games have some source of combat.

It could work, halo has a very well developed universe. But it has to be a spinoff imo.

> 2533274812652989;12:
> That little crack he made about people who think Cortana is evil being young fans who don’t get subtly or nuance makes him sound like a condescending -Yoink- to be honest.

I really wish you were right about Cortana not coming back… Frankie said that pre-halo 5 that the campaign has Cortana’s “ghost”. lol no

The studio is still figuring out how to tell stories in the gaming medium?
You control what people listen to in radio and that’s easier?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but how on earth do you get a different story in a video game if you direct players by cut-scene, in-game dialog, missions and explanations, than you intend the story to be?

To me it sounds like he’s trying to excuse the whole story line in-game vs what we thought it’d be through all the advertisement by saying it’s more difficult to make a story in a game, and they somehow ended up with what we got in Halo 5.
How is gaming at this point not a fully established medium for stories? What is that claim even based on? What even defines a fully established medium for stories?

Yeah okay I’ll buy that.
They had a story in mind with the main theme being MC as AWOL and he’s dangerous. Locke is on an urgent mission to hunt him down and take him back for questioning, alternatively to terminate chief.
But, due to this “new medium for story telling”, gaming, they somehow ended up with the campaign story, which in itself left quite a lot to desire in terms of story.
I’ll buy that as much as I’d buy Destiny being the first story driven game ever but it failed due to the medium being so young and very few in the industry have any experience developing stories fit for games.

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing! Doesn’t make me confident for h6 lol

> 2533274851412396;6:
> A noncombat halo? That’d be boring imo. What would be the point? It’s almost hard to think of video games without any combat. Even exploration games have some source of combat.

But then we would have a fully balanced game where people would noo be crying for nerfs on everything!

O wait, Story is OP 343I nerf please!

On topic, a non combat Halo?

No thanks if I wanted to watch story and story all the time id rather watch videos than actually play the “non” combat game.

> 2533274812652989;12:
> That little crack he made about people who think Cortana is evil being young fans who don’t get subtly or nuance makes him sound like a condescending -Yoink- to be honest.

It’s unfortunate that’s your take. It’s not written with an obvious condescending tone and posed by a very serial question “What makes you say they’re evil?”
Because the direct quote is;

> I saw a complaint online, somebody had been reading spoilers, they hadn’t played the game, and they said ‘Why is this character evil?’ And my question back to them is, ‘What makes you say they’re evil?’ Certainly a lot of our younger players are going to struggle with that subtlety, that nuance, because they’re expecting Darth Vader."

You will notice, neither Cortana herself is mentioned, nor is Frankie being whatever a -Yoink!- may be.
Overall, not cool!

I can see a non combat halo. Just as long as they dont make an interactive movie or something off the wall like “Halo Cart” or “HaloCraft”

oh also cortanna = new bad gal wasnt that the whole set up of the plot?
I mean your half way written generic villain who wants to take over the world has some greater good they want to accomplish. How is people concluding that cortana’s fall being as such a lack of understanding subtlety?

If they wanted grey area morality they should have had ONI the big bads and stuck to what was marketed.

> 2603643534597848;18:
> > 2533274812652989;12:
> > That little crack he made about people who think Cortana is evil being young fans who don’t get subtly or nuance makes him sound like a condescending -Yoink- to be honest.
>
>
> It’s unfortunate that’s your take. It’s not written with an obvious condescending tone and posed by a very serial question “What makes you say they’re evil?”
> Because the direct quote is;
>
>
> > I saw a complaint online, somebody had been reading spoilers, they hadn’t played the game, and they said ‘Why is this character evil?’ And my question back to them is, ‘What makes you say they’re evil?’ Certainly a lot of our younger players are going to struggle with that subtlety, that nuance, because they’re expecting Darth Vader."
>
>
> You will notice, neither Cortana herself is mentioned, nor is Frankie being whatever a -Yoink!- may be.
> Overall, not cool!

Overall, text is always subjective, as there is no tone. We often apply our own. That can be read and interpreted multiple ways I suppose. I think the onus is unfortunately on the reader to determine that, which often gets us in trouble.