Frankie Explains Weapon Drop

> Its funny, because one explanation/justification for armor abilities in Reach was because new players didn’t really understand when and how to use equipment in Halo 3.
>
> Now, the justification for moving away from static, timed power weapons is because new players don’t know where power weapons are, or when they will appear. Now you don’t need to watch the clock or learn the map… who cares! Wait for the blinking light to tell you where to pile-on.
>
> Maybe it will be a good thing… its not like more experienced players will just camp the power weapon and grenade the hell out of it while Command Derp and his split screen buddies make a dash for rockets.

<mark>Frankie</mark> says:

> You need to learn the map. They do not spawn in random places, or times. There are systems within systems for time. They can be learned. And there will be new strategies for drops.

Source

Here is a GIF of an AFK screen grab captured in the latest Halo 4 Multiplayer Interview Video on Game Informer showing the icon for a weapon drop: http://i.minus.com/ibgRS9dgiQon1e.gif

And lastly here is a quote from Edge Magazine:

> Red vs Blue
> Multiplayer will be crucial to Halo 4’s success. “Our design goal is to dramatically reinvent the multiplayer experience – both the core element and surrounding modes,” says [Josh] Holmes. What we’ve seen of it, played across two maps with Battle Rifles, is faster than Halos past, with UI flash such as ‘headshot kill’ and ‘melee kill’ prominently displayed. A hint of new modes comes with the pointers to where specific weapons are. “there’s a specific reason why the sniper rifle was where it was and why you were being told that,” O’Conner reveals. And it will also, apparently, attempt to explain the animosity between red and blue Spartans.

Sounds good.

If you know which spawn power weapons will be at and what times they will drop I am absolutely fine with the new system, and think it adds depth to the game.

If there is any amount of randomness added, I am not.

They have to open up more about these radical changes or people are going to keep on assuming the worst.

> They have to open up more about these radical changes or people are going to keep on assuming the worst.

People will assume the worst no matter what they say, at least until they release some gameplay videos but more likely until the game is actually out. In addition to all the threads about “ohno random terrible why not halo anymore”, there were a bunch of counters about “Calm down, it’s not going to be random; you’ll still know where things are spawning ahead of time it’ll just move around to a few spots on the maps it could be good”.

It would be easy to anticipate weapon spawns, but the hardest part would be getting to it. I like it, it keeps players on their toes and even turn the tides for a losing team. Could this system apply to vehicles as well?

Yeah sounds good to me.

At first I thought the top quote was Frankie. And my head damn near exploded.

king of the hill in slayer…

People will die so much getting the weapons it wont be worth it,
it destroys any strategy in the game and will promote running mindlessly into an open area that will no doubt be heavily naded by every person as soon as they spawn.
people used to have to earn their weapons now if you happen to be in the right spot at the right time a weapon will land at your feet and map control and team work will mean nothing.

You could argue that fighting in the inevitable mosh pit is earning your weapons but it will just be a pack of dogs chasing rabbits from one section of a map to the next wasting any power weapons right where they dropped, trying to stay alive, and the rest of the map will only experience situations that involve the power weapons if the drop pod happens to be there, so you can easily predict areas where the weapon will always be and you will never get surprised by that power weapon from somewhere else on the map when the icons are telling you exactly where to watch.

Instead of their intentional spreading out of map control and deaths it will result in less time with the power weapons in other areas of the map that will end up being ignored and we will never really fully experience every place on the map having a fight with the chance of a power weapon being involved and the death will all be revolved around central core points.

I think having certain patterns for where weapons spawn at what time could be an interesting mecahanic and tool to create certain movement patterns on maps.

I just hope they don’t actually drop with drop pods or anything like that. Just have them spawn, except at certain different preset places. Could be particularly useful for Koth gametypes where you don’t want power weapons easily accesible from the hill, or something like that.

> At first I thought the top quote was Frankie. And my head damn near exploded.

Yeah, that would have been horrible :frowning:

Initial spawns with drop pods on a map like Valhalla or hemorrhage would be neat.

> They have to open up more about these radical changes or people are going to keep on assuming the worst.

I was just thinking that! >.<

This is comforting.

> > They have to open up more about these radical changes or people are going to keep on assuming the worst.
>
> I was just thinking that! >.<

People have to learn to be patient. They will always assume the worst.

saw this posted earlier by someone else, very pleased with the news.

a thought has popped to mind though, if this is indeed a sequence then could it be possible to set power weapons to spawn at different times in the sequence?

basing off of reachs forge, you put 1 rocket launcher down, set it to spawn sequence 0 and a spawn time of 180 secs (3mins), spawn another rocket launcher and set its spawn sequence to 1 but, its timer set to 120 secs (2mins).

wonder how that could effect gameplay …

sounds like crazy king, does not take a genius. might work out better.

> saw this posted earlier by someone else, very pleased with the news.
>
> a thought has popped to mind though, if this is indeed a sequence then could it be possible to set power weapons to spawn at different times in the sequence?
>
> basing off of reachs forge, you put 1 rocket launcher down, set it to spawn sequence 0 and a spawn time of 180 secs (3mins), spawn another rocket launcher and set its spawn sequence to 1 but, its timer set to 120 secs (2mins).
>
> wonder how that could effect gameplay …

got banned for flaming yesterday, I knew it would not be totally random, could be good an evolution of strategy could be in order tho

For anyone who is saying itll end up with mass bodies, dying for a pointless “weapon” there might be SOME truth to that. It will definately make controlling the weapon spawns more difficult and perhaps not always worth it. However, look at Invasion Slayer. In that, not only do you have to get to the weapon spawn, but you have to capture it and THEN hold it. And it still works pretty -Yoink!- well.

Power weapons, such as rockets, will probably change from “now that I have it, im going to kill some folks” to “now that I have it, I am going to hold onto it so I can use it during our push for the next weapon spawn.”

Which is pretty cool. I dunno, this feature isnt too bad. It sounded like the death of halo at first, but its more an evolution of invasion slayer, and thats ok.

> > saw this posted earlier by someone else, very pleased with the news.
> >
> > a thought has popped to mind though, if this is indeed a sequence then could it be possible to set power weapons to spawn at different times in the sequence?
> >
> > basing off of reachs forge, you put 1 rocket launcher down, set it to spawn sequence 0 and a spawn time of 180 secs (3mins), spawn another rocket launcher and set its spawn sequence to 1 but, its timer set to 120 secs (2mins).
> >
> > wonder how that could effect gameplay …
>
> got banned for flaming yesterday, I knew it would not be totally random, could be good an evolution of strategy could be in order tho

was that when you where very agressive to me in one of my topics?

anyway, i do agree that this will slightly increase the level of awareness and add a little more depth to strategy overall a very small increase in the skill gap, but, it is an incrase none the less.

i hope there isn’t any detrimental mechanics in the game like bloom in reach …