Frank O'Connor Comments on Skill Rank

EDIT i assume a future title update could make it visible in-game?
Genius

Frank: Anything could happen in the future.

I don’t get it… is Waypoint integrated into the game this time?

Frank: Actually yes, more or less - you select it from the main menu and “go” there, but don’t have to exit to the Dash. And you can go straight back into the main game menu from Waypoint.

Scroll Down. Hes Stinkles

UPDATE: If this really is an evolution of the BPR, then I’m not sure how it qualifies as a ranking system in comparison to Halo 3’s and Halo 2’s ranking system, mostly since it doesn’t seem like it’ll have an influence upon matchmaking criteria (unless of course it’s just displaying TrueSkill data, in which case why have it only visible on Waypoint at first?) Definitely feeling indifferent about the news until we actually get substance in regards to how it works, which isn’t what I expected to feel.

FRANKIE:It is a pure skill ranking, not BPR. Effectively the same data (only more of it) that made a 1-50 rank. It can be averaged over everything you do, or measured per game hopper. It is not BPR.

Question:Sounds awesome, why isn’t it a day 1 patch?

Frankie:Because we are using player data and population behavior to prevent the problems that happened with the last one. (In before somebody says that there were no account boosters/rank whorers etc and that only a couple of bad apples did that.)

> EDIT i assume a future title update could make it visible in-game?
> Genius
>
> Frank: Anything could happen in the future.
>
> I don’t get it… is Waypoint integrated into the game this time?
>
> Frank: Actually yes, more or less - you select it from the main menu and “go” there, but don’t have to exit to the Dash. And you can go straight back into the main game menu from Waypoint.
>
> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496639&page=259
> Scroll Down. Hes Stinkles

Reach had it in menu also.

you wont exit out the game to access waypoint

So in other words: Players can see their way-point stats straight from Halo 4 without having to exit to the dashboard or way-point? That alone is a purely awesome feature!

> So in other words: Players can see their way-point stats straight from Halo 4 without having to exit to the dashboard or way-point? That alone is a purely awesome feature!

agreed

> So in other words: Players can see their way-point stats straight from Halo 4 without having to exit to the dashboard or way-point? That alone is a purely awesome feature!

You will exit the game and launch the Waypoint app. I think you’re misunderstanding him. He’s merely saying there’s built in shortcuts.

why isn’t it a day 1 patch?

Frankie:Because we are using player data and population behavior to prevent the problems that happened with the last one. (In before somebody says that there were no account boosters/rank whorers etc and that only a couple of bad apples did that.)

> > So in other words: Players can see their way-point stats straight from Halo 4 without having to exit to the dashboard or way-point? That alone is a purely awesome feature!
>
> You will exit the game and launch the Waypoint app. I think you’re misunderstanding him. He’s merely saying there’s built in shortcuts.

Nothing wrong with that, it’s totally fine this way. You can flick to waypoint while in the menu, check out your rank, drool over it, then go right back in to the Halo 4 menu. That is totally fine.
There is no need at all to see ranks in the matchmaking lobby at all; you’ll be match only with people of similar rank so no reason for comparison there at all.

> why isn’t it a day 1 patch?
>
> Frankie:Because we are using player data and population behavior to prevent the problems that happened with the last one. (In before somebody says that there were no account boosters/rank whorers etc and that only a couple of bad apples did that.)

Exactly - they are putting it through ‘the ringer’ prior to letting it loose; that way, the vultures won’t go and make it meaningless.

Not BPR… best words ever.