Frame Rate Issues

I’ve been playing a lot of Halo: Reach recently as I slowly march towards the rank of Lt. Colonel. Very strangely my Xbox 360, despite not having issues with other games, has random frame rate drops into what must be the low 10’s while my Xbox One runs the game without issue. How is it that the game runs fine via software emulation while struggling on actual hardware?

I remember the same thing happening to my Xbox 360 Slim years ago when Reach was the current game. I never did figure out the reason.

Are you playing from the disc or do you have it installed?

> 2533274815711361;2:
> I remember the same thing happening to my Xbox 360 Slim years ago when Reach was the current game. I never did figure out the reason.
>
> Are you playing from the disc or do you have it installed?

From the disc. I unfortunately don’t have a hard drive for my Xbox 360, so installation isn’t an option.

The disc itself is in good condition, so it shouldn’t be that. Backwards compatibility is all done digitally so that doesn’t matter, but the disc itself should work without issue on my Xbox 360. It should be noted that I, too, am using a slim model.

> 2535421324694638;3:
> > 2533274815711361;2:
> > I remember the same thing happening to my Xbox 360 Slim years ago when Reach was the current game. I never did figure out the reason.
> >
> > Are you playing from the disc or do you have it installed?
>
> From the disc. I unfortunately don’t have a hard drive for my Xbox 360, so installation isn’t an option.
>
> The disc itself is in good condition, so it shouldn’t be that. Backwards compatibility is all done digitally so that doesn’t matter, but the disc itself should work without issue on my Xbox 360. It should be noted that I, too, am using a slim model.

Gotcha. I was just curious. I played from an installed copy and received the same frame rate issues, so I don’t think that would fix it.

The Xbox 360 has always had a few issues with Reach framerate wise, the Xbox One now actually has better performance on Reach outside or slightly higher input latency caused by forced Vsync.

If the fps drops you are seeing are more prominent than you remember, it can potentially be caused by the 360 getting too warm, disc issues, hard drive cache being full, corrupt install to the hard drive or in a worst case scenario, signs of potential issues with the 360 itself.

Keep in mind that even though we are comparing running on the actual hardware to running on a software emulator, the Xbox One (even the original 2013 model) is much more powerful than an Xbox 360 (240 gigaflops in the 360 vs 1,310 gigaflops in the original Xbox One)

I remember when Halo: Reach first landed on Xbox One back compat, there were some pretty significant performance problems, and the 360 version actually performed a little better in some cases. But awhile later, the Xbox One back compat title was updated with major performance fixes. As far as I know, now the performance for Halo: Reach on Xbox One back compat is now better than the 360.