Fractured timelines, what does it mean for official canon?

So, I guess 343 took inspiration from marvel and now we’re looking at alternate timelines and parallel universes. What are your thoughts on this new narrative direction? Is it strictly a multiplayer story telling device? I’m concerned this will quickly muddy the waters with Halo’s immersive and rich narrative background.

Has 343 done this to give themselves more freedom to do whatever they want and make up any far fetched lore to help the lore loving fan base be more accepting?

I’m interested to see what comes, but worried some rather ridiculous stuff is soon to come.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t put too much thought into it, it’s mostly just a way to excuse some more …interesting armor designs for multiplayer

That being said, if they don’t add QUAKE inspired armor like Visor’s headpiece I’m going to cry. ಥ_ಥ

1 Like

It’s not canon so it means nothing, someone may take inspiration from the fractures to make a story but it would be a non canon story. It’s just a wat to make the armor not look military and charge lots of money for it.

I think we will see a doom inspired set before quake to be honest. Maybe when the rumored new quake comes out you will get it.

What are your thoughts on this new narrative direction?

I think it’s a neat idea and the Tenrai lore is fun. In fact, if they made a spinoff game in the Tenrai timeline where we got to fight the Covenant’s glass dragons to reclaim the seven provinces and stuff, I’d totally play it.

Is it strictly a multiplayer story telling device?

I mean yeah, I doubt it will ever be a campaign storytelling device (unless they made the aforementioned spinoff game but that won’t happen)

I’m concerned this will quickly muddy the waters with Halo’s immersive and rich narrative background.

Personally I wouldn’t call Halo’s established lore “immersive”, honestly some parts of it are a bit absurd but either way, its waters won’t get muddied by Fracture stuff because those are contained in alternate timelines so you can freely ignore them

Has 343 done this to give themselves more freedom to do whatever they want and make up any far fetched lore to help the lore loving fan base be more accepting?

You’re asking if 343 invented alternate timelines to help the lore nerds be more accepting? I’m not sure what you mean by that. If you look at the latest armors to get added to MCC, it’s pretty clear that 343 just likes to make fantastical armors and now they’re fleshing it out with some lore. I don’t think it’s anything to be concerned about

Yeah, good points. We’ll certainly get some sweet story lines, I’m excited to see those. I just worry about the really out of place stuff, but I suppose that will come regardless.

The ancient Rome stuff was really cool looking, but it is only the beginning of 343 pushing the boundaries of the aesthetic. How long before we see Bat Man armor and Toy Story RC car warthogs?

Hopefully 343 doesn’t allow Fractures to go from samurai and ancient Rome to Batman and Toy Story :joy: Either way I just think of it like fanfiction, but official

It’s not a storytelling device, it’s a ‘sell people stupid stuff’ device.

That’s not to say that they can’t do cool storylines with it, of course, but that’s not its primary purpose.

Fractures are non-canon, they’re a way for the Devs to have fun with Multiplayer without breaking the lore