Fov slider in halo infinite

I feel like this would be an amazing addition to halo I mean doom has it and many other games so why not

If it does it better make you arms more visible too, some games just make so the camera is not as close but your arms still look smushed on your face.

Every first person game should have an FoV slider. The narrow fields of view are the biggest usability hurdle in console games, and there’s really no excuse for them since usability should take precedence over graphical fidelity.

I agree. Let people customize the FOV how they want.

> 2533274825830455;3:
> Every first person game should have an FoV slider. The narrow fields of view are the biggest usability hurdle in console games, and there’s really no excuse for them since usability should take precedence over graphical fidelity.

Cannot agree more. I’m also of the opinion FoV sliders should be in every fps game.

So far so single minded, I just continue with others and write that adjustable FoV would be a good addition.

Great Idea. This improves game play for a lot of people. Allowing it is just giving more options to the player.

I’m 99% sure Halo Infinite will have a field of view slider on pc so why not on console? I’m quite sure they’ll use a dynamic resolution on console so they don’t have to worry about the frame rate (usually a wider field of view is more demanding)
I bought a 21:9 monitor so you can guess how much important field of view is to me

I hope there would be a slider, at the minimum an fov that doest make people sick.

Doom had a lot of new and well-implemented features for a console game like AI in Snap Map and the FOV slider. I’m guessing 343i would have noticed and will probably take some inspiration from that game. I can’t wait to see what they come up with, especially after seeing how incredible everything looked in the engine demo.

I’d very much love a FOV slider, was half the reason many of the people I played with couldn’t stick to Halo 5, they just felt a little sick with how close the screen was, made everything feel much quicker than it is.

I’m all down for a FOV slider in Infinite. I can’t stand Halo 3’s FOV as it’s too close for my liking same goes for Halo 2, 4 and 5.

So yes I can appreciate people wanting a FOV slider, I’m absolutely certain a PC release will have it but consoles I am a bit skeptical of.

The reason why a lot of games have a locked FOV is for performance on consoles as the wider the field of view is, the more objects,details and data that needs to be on screen which can be more taxing. I think Halo 5 has a pretty reasonable field of view to be honest, especially comparing it to Halo 3 - god it find it hard to go back to!

We’ll see though, infinite’s biggest challenge will be working across the original Xbox One, X, PC and potentially a new Xbox generation but from my conversations with 343 and the general theme so far is there’s a lot of time being put into the slipspace engine so should hopefully allow for more flexibility.

Here’s hoping!

> 2533274858527948;13:
> So yes I can appreciate people wanting a FOV slider, I’m absolutely certain a PC release will have it but consoles I am a bit skeptical of.
>
> The reason why a lot of games have a locked FOV is for performance on consoles as the wider the field of view is, the more objects,details and data that needs to be on screen which can be more taxing. I think Halo 5 has a pretty reasonable field of view to be honest, especially comparing it to Halo 3 - god it find it hard to go back to!
>
> We’ll see though, infinite’s biggest challenge will be working across the original Xbox One, X, PC and potentially a new Xbox generation but from my conversations with 343 and the general theme so far is there’s a lot of time being put into the slipspace engine so should hopefully allow for more flexibility.
>
> Here’s hoping!

Halo 5 has a field of view of 78 degrees, the same as Reach. It’s certainly nowhere near as bad as Halo 3, but to me it’s still far too low. The minimum I personally feel genuinely comfortable with is 90, and my usual preference is around 110 (ODST had 88, by the way, which was nice). Some people would probably find that a very strange experience, but that’s exactly why every first person game should have the option: one field of view can’t possibly accomodate to everyone’s pereferences.

> 2533274825830455;14:
> > 2533274858527948;13:
> > So yes I can appreciate people wanting a FOV slider, I’m absolutely certain a PC release will have it but consoles I am a bit skeptical of.
> >
> > The reason why a lot of games have a locked FOV is for performance on consoles as the wider the field of view is, the more objects,details and data that needs to be on screen which can be more taxing. I think Halo 5 has a pretty reasonable field of view to be honest, especially comparing it to Halo 3 - god it find it hard to go back to!
> >
> > We’ll see though, infinite’s biggest challenge will be working across the original Xbox One, X, PC and potentially a new Xbox generation but from my conversations with 343 and the general theme so far is there’s a lot of time being put into the slipspace engine so should hopefully allow for more flexibility.
> >
> > Here’s hoping!
>
> Halo 5 has a field of view of 78 degrees, the same as Reach. It’s certainly nowhere near as bad as Halo 3, but to me it’s still far too low. The minimum I personally feel genuinely comfortable with is 90, and my usual preference is around 110 (ODST had 88, by the way, which was nice). Some people would probably find that a very strange experience, but that’s exactly why every first person game should have the option: one field of view can’t possibly accomodate to everyone’s pereferences.

Yes that’s a fair comment, like I said it’s down to hardware/engine limitations on console and it’s understandable ODST was wider because they had a bit of time to optimise it after understanding 360 hardware after Halo 3.

This is also my opinion but I don’t think too many casual players and general consumers are too bothered about FOV, I also think there’s an aesthetic/design choice made with this as it can give a game a certain feel - could be wrong on that but that was my thought. But engine/hardware limitations are the main consideration.

> 2533274858527948;15:
> This is also my opinion but I don’t think too many casual players and general consumers are too bothered about FOV, I also think there’s an aesthetic/design choice made with this as it can give a game a certain feel - could be wrong on that but that was my thought. But engine/hardware limitations are the main consideration.

Not consciously, no, but to this day people still complain about Halo 3 being “too slow”, even though it has the exact same speed as CE and 2, to the decimal point. The reason for the perceived slowness being the decreased FoV.

> 2533274801176260;16:
> > 2533274858527948;15:
> > This is also my opinion but I don’t think too many casual players and general consumers are too bothered about FOV, I also think there’s an aesthetic/design choice made with this as it can give a game a certain feel - could be wrong on that but that was my thought. But engine/hardware limitations are the main consideration.
>
> Not consciously, no, but to this day people still complain about Halo 3 being “too slow”, even though it has the exact same speed as CE and 2, to the decimal point. The reason for the perceived slowness being the decreased FoV.

Yup, 100% agree. I have always stated Halo 3 feels slow, FoV slider would work a charm imo.

> 2533274858527948;15:
> This is also my opinion but I don’t think too many casual players and general consumers are too bothered about FOV, I also think there’s an aesthetic/design choice made with this as it can give a game a certain feel - could be wrong on that but that was my thought. But engine/hardware limitations are the main consideration.

As Celestis pointed out, even if people don’t consciously care about it, it affects their perception of the game. I also argue that people not caring about field of view is purely due to lack of knowledge. I believe most people, if they knew how field of view concretely affects the gameplay experience, would care about it, but you can’t care about something you don’t know exists.

When it comes the aesthetic, you can absolutely use field of view to give the game a certain feel. However, considering how much 343i is into the whole feeling like a Spartan thing, it would seem natural to give players a very wide field of view since that would make them feel faster, and hence more like a Spartan. Low field of view seems counterproductive to that goal. That’s why I would consider it extremely strange if any aesthetic consideration had gone into the field of view of Halo 5.

> 2533274825830455;3:
> Every first person game should have an FoV slider. The narrow fields of view are the biggest usability hurdle in console games, and there’s really no excuse for them since usability should take precedence over graphical fidelity.

Well said! I’m always for player choice when it comes to options like this, and not just FoV. Sound, FPS, filters, blur… Let us choose how we want to play! :+1:

> 2533274825830455;3:

Doesn’t it hurt competitive play though?