FOV Changer.

Don’t know if it’s been discussed, sorry if it has but…

I would like the idea of having the ability to change the FOV, I wouldn’t really care if you didn’t complete the arm models for a higher FOV, as long as the option to change it is there, let’s go nuts.

Being able to change your FOV can effect the way you play the game. I feel that FOV should stay the same for every player, for the sake of not having disadvantages or advantages.

FOV slider on console Triple AAA FPS?

That would be great. Yes please! Considering I basically use a PC set up, it would help.

> Being able to change your FOV can effect the way you play the game. I feel that FOV should stay the same for every player, for the sake of not having disadvantages or advantages.

And technically higher aim assist shouldn’t exist either because it lets you react faster.

With an FoV slider, everyone can only have so much FoV. Choosing to put yourself at a disadvantage for the sake of aesthetics is your own issue, not the slider’s.

I don’t believe we will ever see an FoV slider in a Halo game, probably not even in a console shooter. Field of view can affect game performance by introducing more objects on screen. Console games tend to be very conservative about maintaining the same performance for every user. I don’t believe we will ever get any options that affect graphical performance.

> Being able to change your FOV can effect the way you play the game. I feel that FOV should stay the same for every player, for the sake of not having disadvantages or advantages.

Just like being able to change your sensitivity. Everyone has the choice, so everyone can choose whatever makes them feel the best. The key word here is choice. We could even have an option that allows people to disable aim assist. Sure, everyone who disables it would definitely be at a disadvantage, but they didn’t have to disable it.

FoV is something that really has no clear advantage. That’s not only because what FoV fits you best is so dependent on your display size, sitting distance, and ultimately personal preference. Even though a larger field of view gives more peripheral vision, an FoV too large for your setup produces distortions in the image which can affect the difficulty of aiming.

But ultimately it’s just an option, one that is found in many PC shooters. People are free to choose what they want, so if there is one field of view in particular that gives a clear advantage, everyone is free to choose or not to choose it. There is no unfairness in this option.

tsassi pretty much nails it, it’s a subject of choice,

Let’s assume it did effect gameplay, what stops you from changing it?

A FoV Slider is just another option to make the game more comfortable for the players.

Players who have never been given this option before will state that it is ‘unfair’ to give players this option.

By that logic, It is unfair to give players control over their sensitivity and their control schemes, Since it may give them an advantage over newer players.

It also can help to relieve stress from the eyes. Finding the right FoV for you can actually help you play for longer periods of time.

Increasing a players FoV is a double edged sword;

Yes, You will will more. Players coming from the left and right will come into your view much quicker than other players.

BUT, Increasing the FoV will actually thin out your view in front of you. This makes it harder to see players in the distance.

In short, FoV is just another option that gives players more control over their game by making it more comfortable for them to play.

> I don’t believe we will ever see an FoV slider in a Halo game, probably not even in a console shooter. Field of view can affect game performance by introducing more objects on screen. Console games tend to be very conservative about maintaining the same performance for every user. I don’t believe we will ever get any options that affect graphical performance.
>
>
>
> > Being able to change your FOV can effect the way you play the game. I feel that FOV should stay the same for every player, for the sake of not having disadvantages or advantages.
>
> Just like being able to change your sensitivity. Everyone has the choice, so everyone can choose whatever makes them feel the best. The key word here is choice. We could even have an option that allows people to disable aim assist. Sure, everyone who disables it would definitely be at a disadvantage, but they didn’t have to disable it.
>
> FoV is something that really has no clear advantage. That’s not only because what FoV fits you best is so dependent on your display size, sitting distance, and ultimately personal preference. Even though a larger field of view gives more peripheral vision, an FoV too large for your setup produces distortions in the image which can affect the difficulty of aiming.
>
> But ultimately it’s just an option, one that is found in many PC shooters. People are free to choose what they want, so if there is one field of view in particular that gives a clear advantage, everyone is free to choose or not to choose it. There is no unfairness in this option.

I figured sensitivity levels typically come at the cost of something, but whatever you choose will work best for you. I didn’t think that having a huge FOV would come with disadvantages, but you stated it could as far as graphics and aiming. If it wasn’t that big of a deal, I figured why not make the best more offering FOV the standard across everyone. There is no best sensitivity, but I guess there are some cons to having too large of a FOV, though I don’t think the developers would put in one that would make a image unstable. You know more about it than me, so is this all really depending on your TV/setup? If your tv could withstand a much higher FOV than most other, would it still be fair?

> There is no best sensitivity, but I guess there are some cons to having too large of a FOV, though I don’t think the developers would put in one that would make a image unstable. You know more about it than me, so is this all really depending on your TV/setup? If your tv could withstand a much higher FOV than most other, would it still be fair?

It’d be the same as playing Team Fortress 2 on a 15 inch screen with 90 FOV, it’s just down to what you like best.

> I figured sensitivity levels typically come at the cost of something, but whatever you choose will work best for you. I didn’t think that having a huge FOV would come with disadvantages, but you stated it could as far as graphics and aiming. If it wasn’t that big of a deal, I figured why not make the best more offering FOV the standard across everyone. There is no best sensitivity, but I guess there are some cons to having too large of a FOV, though I don’t think the developers would put in one that would make a image unstable. You know more about it than me, so is this all really depending on your TV/setup? If your tv could withstand a much higher FOV than most other, would it still be fair?

It’s not about what your TV can handle, but what you can handle. Personally, whenever I get the chance, I usually crank up my FoV to the point that I would almost have to put my nose against the display for no visible distortions. That is, I’m completely fine with an FoV up to 120 degrees.

Someone else could find my choice of FoV horribly discomforting even on a setup like mine, let alone on one where they sit further away from an equally sized display. I don’t really even do it for any advantage. Heck, I play Minecraft at 120 degrees. I just prefer a higher FoV because of how it affects my perception of motion.

Field of view, like sensitivity, is all about personal preference and comfort. Even though there’s a technical advantage to having a higher FoV, I think few people actually benefit from that. Likewise, there is a technical advantage to having a higher sensitivity. Some people with precise thumbs benefit from that, but most probably do it for the feel more than anything.

Here is a nice video for people to understand more.
http://youtu.be/dX_UFrg8xfY

I wonder what the default FOV will be.

Eeeh I’m not crazy for it. I’d prefer that sorta stuff to be left to PC games.

> Here is a nice video for people to understand more.
> http://youtu.be/dX_UFrg8xfY
>
> I wonder what the default FOV will be.

Has anyone played ODST recently? I went back to that game and it had an amazing FoV. It had an 88 FoV, which is the biggest for any Halo game. Halo: CEA has the second largest (86).

90 FoV would be perfect. But I wouldn’t mind if they had it similar to Halo: Reach which has a 78 FoV.

Honestly I would be happy with a small FOV modifier. e.g default 80’ with the option to vary it between 60’ and 100’. I know there are some issues that can potentially cause screen lag if the FOV is too high. Issues with the object count on screen and what not, so a 140’ FOV might be problematic, especially in forge.

With High FOV enemies appear smaller, further away, harder to spot and aim assist angles will seem smaller when compared to the size of your screen so I would imagine there is a trade off for extra peripheral vision. What I would not want to see is all competitive players setting it to the max FOV. I don’t know if this is the case, I don’t play PC.

> With High FOV enemies appear smaller, further away, harder to spot and aim assist angles will seem smaller when compared to the size of your screen so I would imagine there is a trade off for extra peripheral vision. What I would not want to see is all competitive players setting it to the max FOV. I don’t know if this is the case, I don’t play PC.

It’s an interesting question what field of view people find best. A quick google search gave me these three polls:

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/593740-Your-preferred-FOV
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.318837-Poll-Poll-Whats-your-preferred-FOV

With these results it seems pretty conclusive that the vast majority of people prefer a field of view of at least 90 degrees. Beyond that however, I would say there seems to be no general trend. People use whatever they find the most comfortable. It’s possible that these polls could have some bias towards the higher end due to multi-monitor users defaulting at a higher FoV, but I don’t believe the fraction of them is significant.

With the enhanced processing power of the Xbone, I’m hoping for a higher FoV.

I also don’t see anything wrong with allowing people to adjust FoV. Personally, I like the larger FoVs since I used to play PC games exclusively, and they always seem to have larger FoVs than consoles. The edge distortion doesn’t bother me.

I think people need to understand, it doesn’t effect gameplay so much as changing your sensitivity changes gameplay, it’s down to what you like playing with best.