Forward Unto Dawn draws 55 million views

> 343 Industries reveals viewer milestone for five-chapter video series; DVD/Blu-ray sales “good.”
>
> The Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn Internet video series has drawn 55 million views to date, 343 Industries revealed today during a Game Developers Conference panel.

I am impressed it received such wide spread views. More details in the link jump: Gamespot Source Link

Go on 343i/MS develop FuD and/or/with your campaign CGI into a regular series :slight_smile:

Well, I contributed about 45 million views during it’s Youtube time, soooo…

On a serious note, I can see how it attracted many viewers, I mean, finally after all these years we finally get a Halo movie! Many of my friends who were never big, or at all, Halo fans watched it.

Good job 343i, and please, PLEASE make more!!

That’s because it was so amazing! I really need to watch it again. Here’s to at least 75 million!

Its an amazing series I’m not shocked about that I really liked it. LOTS

I agree it was amazing, I hate myself for not owning the Blu-ray. I would love to see more!

Great news. I hope this helps drive the movie production forward.

I like it to a certain point.
I think something like Halo deserves a full professional-made movie.
I don’t like the actors and especially I don’t like the shaky hand camera filming a close-up. I don’t see a reason for that? Is my head shaking like that if I look closely? I understand why it is used in some situations for excitement but it’s overused in movies.
The framing is not the best one, the colour grading is strange and too much retouching.
The CGI (HUDs, etc) looks like it was made by Andrew Kramer (I know he made the intro for “Fringe”, I watch his tutorials, nothing bad about him and don’t get me wrong, he does a really great job, but he isn’t that good for working on such things IMO).

I am aware of the budget-time-quality triangle. It’s a low-medium-budget production and although I am criticize to death it’s well done.

Oh… and nearly I forgot to mention the armour looks like it’s made of plastic… wait… it acutally is. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nah it’s good. Skip my brutal criticism.

Forward Unto Dawn reminded me of the Starship Troopers movie, thus adding to it’s appeal. I still have to redeem that FuD Limited Edition code though…

Has there been any word on if they turned a profit with FuD?

It was good as a web series and the first time I viewed it had me on the edge of my seat.
However it looses replay-ability IMO. The story is lacklustre and quite cheesy.

Like I get the idea that it’s set in a military academy but all of those children made it awkward, like in the first 2.5 episodes it felt like I watching High School Musical.

This idea of it being a Halo ‘movie’ pumped me, but I guess I really would have wished for something more professional.

But really the killer for me was that Master Chief looked extremely half–Yoinked!-. As in his armour looked to cheap compared to how awesome it is in the games. Not to mention his stunts, he jumped off a ledge and they applied it in slow motion… Really? Once again i’ll say it was awesome the first time but overall he was very robotic and leaves much to be desired, this is of course with exemption of the hunter-scene.

Well Halo FUD is one of the only good video game based movies out there so no wonder it’s good. Now how about a Halo Legends 2? Or just a Hanimated Halo movie? Mass Effect has one and so should Halo.

> But really the killer for me was that Master Chief looked extremely half–Yoinked!-. As in his armour looked to cheap compared to how awesome it is in the games. Not to mention his stunts, he jumped off a ledge and they applied it in slow motion… Really? Once again i’ll say it was awesome the first time but overall he was very robotic and leaves much to be desired, this is of course with exemption of the hunter-scene.

Don’t forget it was a real suit and it was a pain in the -Yoooinked!- moving whilst wearing it.

Robert Downey Jr. can move with ease in his Iron Man suit because it is animated.

And the slow motion was kinda ridiculous, yes.

Watched it all the other night although quality on YouTube sucks.

Going to buy the DVD and find out a bit more about Lasky. How he became a Commander on Infinity after not really wanting to serve as a solider I know Infinity is a research mission but it sure has a lot of guns on-board.

> Has there been any word on if they turned a profit with FuD?

I haven’t seen anything but with 55 million views I’d imagine it contributed to more Halo 4 games sales a fair amount. Also if you take some random guessing numbers like say they sold copies as below you can see some gross profit numbers easily:

1. 250,000 X $17.00 retail sale = $4,250,000

2. or 500,000 x $17.00 retail sale = $8,500,000

3. or 1,000,000 x $17.00 retail = $17,000,000

I could not tell you what the number of sales is or the net profit on the blu-ray would be for 343i/MS but I believe they gave it a $10,000,000 production budget. That may not include the blu-ray/DVD production/distribution costs either.

However when you look at the number of views and the gross sales from some guessing numbers I’d say FuD did very well overall for 343i and Halo 4. I for one am quite glad they produced it and it made a fantastic lead up to Halo 4 web series.

Now 343i needs to find a proper partner to make a big budget live-action Halo movie.

If they ever do make a Halo movie, I think it should be CGI and based on the first book.

> I haven’t seen anything but with 55 million views I’d imagine it contributed to more Halo 4 games sales a fair amount. Also if you take some random guessing numbers like say they sold copies as below you can see some gross profit numbers easily:
>
> 1. 250,000 X $17.00 retail sale = $4,250,000
>
> 2. or 500,000 x $17.00 retail sale = $8,500,000
>
> 3. or 1,000,000 x $17.00 retail = $17,000,000
>
> I could not tell you what the number of sales is or the net profit on the blu-ray would be for 343i/MS but I believe they gave it a $10,000,000 production budget. That may not include the blu-ray/DVD production/distribution costs either.
>
> However when you look at the number of views and the gross sales from some guessing numbers I’d say FuD did very well overall for 343i and Halo 4. I for one am quite glad they produced it and it made a fantastic lead up to Halo 4 web series.

Yeah they had about a $10,000,000 in production budget, I thought it would be more of a publicity thing but after seeing the viewership… I could see it making a good profit because they created some diehard fans who absolutely needed a physical bluray copy like myself.

But I was wondering in the back of my head when they were producing this if it was like a pilot project to see how well an actual full-on theater movie would do… I would absolutely love to see Contact: Harvest movie.